• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Plans for 2"x72" Knife Grinder/Sander No welding required

Im haveing the hardest time finding the 6 1/2" x 3/8" i can onley find 6" x 3/8" and 8x 3/8". i tryed homedepot and a hardwhere store. also the hardwhere store sells by the pound 2.99 and home depot sells by each thing so which is bettor I would think by the pound because home depot wants .58 cents for 1 6" x 3/8" bolt. thanks so much for your help.

Im haveing the hardest time finding the 6 1/2" x 3/8" i can onley find 6" x 3/8" and 8x 3/8". i tryed homedepot and a hardwhere store. also the hardwhere store sells by the pound 2.99 and home depot sells by each thing so which is bettor I would think by the pound because home depot wants .58 cents for 1 6" x 3/8" bolt. thanks so much for your help.

The easiest and cheapest thing to do is buy the 8" and cut them to length.

Don't know how much you need but you could always use http://www.onlinemetals.com to get some of the harder to find items.

Looks like it costs about $10 a foot.

How many do you need? I'll see about getting them listed on my web site this weekend.

are all of the tubes 1/8 thick i find tubes with a wall thickness of .120 is this ok.

Hello Tracey
I just recieved my plans and they look great! I can't wait to get started. I had a quick question. What wheels are needed to do the "bare bones" build up? I'm a little confused as to which wheels are for each attachment. thanks

Matt Venier

Hello Tracey
I just recieved my plans and they look great! I can't wait to get started. I had a quick question. What wheels are needed to do the "bare bones" build up? I'm a little confused as to which wheels are for each attachment. thanks

Matt Venier

Hi Matt,
You will need the power drive wheel and tracking/tension wheel for every setup.

After that, you have a lot of choices. Bare bones to me is an 8" contact wheel. Bare bones to others is a flat platen which uses 2ea 2"x2" aluminum idler wheels. You can substitute a 2" or 3" contact wheel for one of the aluminum idler wheels if you like. This gives you the option of doing little touch ups via a contact wheel when the flat platen tool bar is still mounted.
Hope that helps.
t

Or just use 2 wheels and get it all. But you did not hear it from me :)

O man, got my parts in mail to day. i just want to hold the 8" contact wheel all day. now onley if i get my metal tomarow it would be a great week end.

On the long bolts I would just buy some lengths of all thread and a box of nuts. I keep different sizes of all thread in my shop and it saves me lots of not the right length bolt frustration.

O man, got my parts in mail to day. i just want to hold the 8" contact wheel all day. now onley if i get my metal tomarow it would be a great week end.

I think the machining Rob does on those wheels are almost a work of art.

On the long bolts I would just buy some lengths of all thread and a box of nuts. I keep different sizes of all thread in my shop and it saves me lots of not the right length bolt frustration.

I buy assorted nuts and bolts by the bag full all the time. It's nice to have them on hand so you don't have to run to the store. My wife asks what they are for and I just tell her, "in case". She just rolls her eyes...:p

O ya, got my steel today. you should be seeing some pictures very soon

o its taking shape. its going to be so sweet

o its taking shape. its going to be so sweet

You've got to post some pics and comments as soon as you get it done. I'm so needing to build one of these. A 1x30 just doens't cut it real well for grinding and bevelling. It gets me by but has some major drawbacks and with a second little girl on the way my budget will not afford a KMG or a Bader anytime soon. This is a great option.

Charlie

I too am working on the NWGS plans. Sadly, I didn't have my camera with me, but when I got the major assembly I took a few photos on my cellphone, which while a tad blurry, are also the right size to be posted online...
p458782368-4.jpg

p86623865-4.jpg

p272422158-4.jpg

Peace,
~ Dagr

got my rotating head done to day. i will put some pics up

ok here are the pictures of my head for my grinder. i had taped the thick steel plate and just bolted the wheels to the plate but the taped holes where not perfectley strate so the wheels where off a little. so i drilled out the taped hole and bolted the wheels and spaced the plate away for the tool arm so it could rotate without hitting the bolt heads. let me know what you think.

Attachments

• DSC01146.JPG
    DSC01146.JPG
    33.7 KB · Views: 302
  • DSC01148.JPG
    DSC01148.JPG
    32.2 KB · Views: 247
  • DSC01147.jpg
    DSC01147.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 247
Back