• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Plans for 2"x72" Knife Grinder/Sander No welding required

I really like this idea for the big wheel, flat platen and slack work. I am wondering if it fits and a belt goes on it. I am very temped to do it with my 10" wheel. Then just have one of these and my small wheel set up. Jim

ok here are the pictures of my head for my grinder. i had taped the thick steel plate and just bolted the wheels to the plate but the taped holes where not perfectley strate so the wheels where off a little. so i drilled out the taped hole and bolted the wheels and spaced the plate away for the tool arm so it could rotate without hitting the bolt heads. let me know what you think.

Jarod, you and I have talked about your design before but I'll say it here. I think it's a great idea. It's clever all the way. I plan to build one of those myself to see if I can learn something...:thumbup:

want me to send you the drawing its to scale and has all the mesurements and where to drill the holes. you could try it out and put it in the plans

whats the best way to line up the pillow blocks. which way do thay face it seams that thay have a cirtin way thay need to face or it does not sit flat. i got it as close as i could bu when i tighten down the last bolt the shaft gets a little harder to turn. is this ok. could post a picture of how yours are. are the zirk fittings sapost to be on the same side facing the back.

whats the best way to line up the pillow blocks. which way do thay face it seams that thay have a cirtin way thay need to face or it does not sit flat. i got it as close as i could bu when i tighten down the last bolt the shaft gets a little harder to turn. is this ok. could post a picture of how yours are. are the zirk fittings sapost to be on the same side facing the back.

either way is fine. i put mine in so with the zirc forward so I could grease easier. if the shaft tightens up a little, that is normal, if it tightens up a lot, the two bearings aren't plumb to each other and the pipe probably is a bit out of square. use a BFH (big hammer) and tap the pipe if you need to square it up. you should be able to spin the shaft by hand easily. the bearings float a bit inside the bearing block so you don't need to line them up exactly.

Order my plans Thursday afternoon and they shipped out on Friday. Received them today (Monday). On the day I ordered them I received an almost immediate e-mail confirming the order, also received two more to update me on the progress of my order. that is customer service.

Have already been through the plans twice and can't wait to build this grinder. Thanks for putting in the work to help out us poor/new knifemakers.

Charlie

Hooooooooooooly hell. this i like the bbbest grinder in the world. got my belts today all 40 of them. slaped on a 220 grit to check tracking but once i started it up i could not stop my self. my hand reached for some steel and i was grinding. it is so smooth. im in love and i dont care who knows it

JT,

Could you give us a rough estimate of your costs to build it? Thanks.

rmd

i spent way more than was needed for just a basic setup. i had to order my steel on line and it was around $150. the cost for wheeles and what not from mid west knifemakers was $485 but i did get an 8" and 2" contact wheel thay are pricy but so worth it now that i have a rotating grinder head and never have to chang out tool arms. i then got a steel of a deal on a 1.5 water proof balder motor for $100. and $50 for nuts and bolts, spring and other mis items. so what is that $785 for a grinder that kicks ass

o and dont let that price chase you away. if your good at finding good deals it wiil be tons cheeper. i think you could do it for 400 or less if you just do a flat platen. and can find your steel local. i am very happy with this grinder and would reqmend it to any one. its very thought out and alot of time was spent designing this grinder. i do not receve any benafits from these remarks its just how i feal

Jarod, thanks for the comments. Yours is the first completed No Weld Grinder I've seen up and running. With your permission, I'll be posting some pic's of your completed grinder on my web site. I still think your mod with that swivel attachment is great.

im going to a short video clip of it running and me changing the head.

I agree with JT. This Grinder went together very easily, with the instructions. It is well thought out, I spent a total of 20 hours to get to the point you see in these pics. This was the first fire up, I could not wait. I had to fine tune the wheels and wire in a switch after this. I've since made the tool rest, and the platen is next. I did use a thicker box for the main frame and modified the pillow block mounts for a wider stance.
If you are serious about building a grinder, get a set of these plans, they are also chocked full of information you are going to need concerning where to get everything and all your options.

MEC-NWGS-01.jpg

MEC-NWGS-03.jpg

MEC-NWGS-04.jpg

Just wanted to say to anyone thinking of ordering the plans from Tracy that you can't go wrong. Great setup, detailed plans and excellent customer service. I ordered the plans and several items from www.USAknifemaker.com and they shipped the same day, along with several emails throughout the day to update me on the status. Great job Tracy, and thanks so much for the great customer service and all the help with order. Its a relief in todays society to still see this type of customer service and attention to detail!
Kevin P.

Let me add this. Anyone who gets one of these setups. If you live anywhere near Mt Vernon, WA gets it all bolted together and running and haul it over to me some weekend I will weld all the permanent locations for you no charge for a bit of knife show and tell.

Back