Please help me decide on the Chris Reeves knife type.

Ok.. Hopefully this is very simple for those of you that already have one. I just pushed the button for buying a small sebenza carbon fiber tanto knife. However, I just remembered my wife has a small Benchmade 470-1 and I absolutely hate how small that overall knife looks and feels in my hand. It looks like a toy. So I'm wondering if anyone out there has both and can confirm to me that the girth is hopefully bigger on the small sebenza tanto than on the 470-1 before its too late and ships. It's really hard to tell the scale of things online

If I had to guess, just a guess, your going to end up wishing you got the large. Purely based on your above statement. The large is the perfect size. Unless you specifically want a small knife. The large is also slim, great EDC. If this is your first crk, I would take the plain large sebenza 21 over an inlaid small 21........basically same price.

Per the Knifecenter website (rounded off to two decimal places), BM 470 blade length=3”, handle length=3.9” and weight=2.2oz. Small Sebenza blade length=2.94”; handle length=3.94” and weight=3oz. Looks to me like the small Seb is a bit heavier, but really close to the same size as the BM 470. I have both small and large Sebs. To me, the small looks, feels, carries and handles like something I’d categorize as close to a “gentleman’s knife” and the large looks, feels, carries and handles like what I’d call a “full size” folder. The small Seb is also very close to the size/weight of the BM Mini-Griptilian if that’s of any help. Just a guess, but I suspect you’d find the small Seb to be very similar to the BM 470 in size.

I don't know the BM, so all I can say is that the large CF Sebenza is a very light carry(carries like a much smaller knife-about 1 OZ. off the std. Ti). I think that may be what you want.
I like smaller knives so the small is also a very nice knife for me.

The two knives are virtually the same size - OAL - BM-470 6.9", Small Sebenza 6.89". You'll definitely be happier with the Large Sebbie.

Ok.. Hopefully this is very simple for those of you that already have one. I just pushed the button for buying a small sebenza carbon fiber tanto knife. However, I just remembered my wife has a small Benchmade 470-1 and I absolutely hate how small that overall knife looks and feels in my hand. It looks like a toy. So I'm wondering if anyone out there has both and can confirm to me that the girth is hopefully bigger on the small sebenza tanto than on the 470-1 before its too late and ships. It's really hard to tell the scale of things online

Cancel now. If the 470-1 was too small then the small 21 is absolutely going to feel small and likely you will be disappointed with the size. Get a large Sebenza instead.

Although the 470 Emissary has a slightly thicker handle (.45” vs .40), the handle is spindle shaped whereas the Sebenza is flat. The Sebenza handle is also taller.

It’s hard to predict how they’ll feel to your hand. I have a 470 that I never carry because it feels too small in hand. On the other hand, I have a Benchmade 707 that’s part of my carry rotation and a couple small 21s that are among my favorite knives. I also prefer a small 21 over a small Inkosi but a large Inkosi over a large 21. I’m weird.

Buy from a BF supporting dealer who’ll accept a return in case you need a large.

img_20190130_154628_5537794707667173733176.jpg

So I got the large Sebenza and I'm glad I got this over the small. Thanks everyone!!

And why would that be?

Good addition to the thread BTW.:rolleyes:
CRK folders are the dress watch of the knife world. Cute to look at and will cut but made to sit in a safe or wear for dress up days. Had a few, more for collecting than using.

CRK folders are the dress watch of the knife world. Cute to look at and will cut but made to sit in a safe or wear for dress up days. Had a few, more for collecting than using.
I have to disagree there. One of the knives I've used the hardest is my large regular Sebenza that I've had since 2002, and it, like my other CRKs, is a very tough, durable knife. Overall, among the toughest folders I've ever owned, and I also own Cold Steels, ZTs, Spydercos, and Benchmades.

All of my CRKs cut well. Admittedly, they don't cut quite as nicely as, for example, my Spyderco Militaries or Caribbean, but they perform very well, they can take a lot, and were definitely not made to be safe queens.

Jim

Wow.

I guess I should tell my 2001 small Sebenza that has been abused for all these years that it should have sat in a safe instead. :(

Oh and BTW, recently sent the small Sebenza back to CRK for a free spa treatment and it came back looking like it did when I first bought it way back when.

Them damn Sebenza’s ain’t worth a plug nickel. :rolleyes:

Back