Please help me decide on the Chris Reeves knife type.

Ok, I'll bite. What are these other brands? ....
I’d also like to see your list of all these other makes and models that you consider to be so superior to the CRKs.
I already explained why crk is inferior why would I reiterate by explaining why others are superior, that's a long list. After owning pretty much an entire store of multiple brands I am confident in my opinions. I've said it before CRK fit and finish is quite nice but I would sacrifice that for function any day. As I said before buy what you like.
You haven’t “...already explained why crk is inferior...”. All you’ve done so far is just casting generalized disparaging aspersions. Unless you can back up your subjective and IMO groundlessly prejudiced feelings with objectively and accurately described examples of CRK failures and deficiencies, I can’t see how or why anybody would see any credibility in what you’ve said so far.

Nobody’s asking you to repeat your generalized subjective feelings. We’re asking you for the details of the specific experiences, examples and information that your generalized and thus far unsubstantiated feelings are based on.

I believe CRKs are among the better or best available today. Please consider yourself challenged to change my mind with proven, incontrovertible, hard facts and not just unsubstantiated subjective feelings.

I already explained why crk is inferior why would I reiterate by explaining why others are superior, that's a long list. After owning pretty much an entire store of multiple brands I am confident in my opinions. I've said it before CRK fit and finish is quite nice but I would sacrifice that for function any day. As I said before buy what you like.

You haven't explained any such thing. Please stop attempting to pass off your opinion as facts, it's bad logic, it makes you look bad, and you should feel bad. Also, you bought an entire knife store? Weird flex, but alright. I've been in an awful lot of knife stores in my life that were full of complete crap. If you don't want to list out which brands you think are better, that tells me that you aren't confident in your assertions and are afraid of them (and you) getting destroyed. I mean, what are you going to say, Benchmade? LOLOLOL That would be rich. Spyderco? Great knives, not CRK level quality across their bread and butter models though. Who else, Buck? LMAO That would be even more amusing than the Benchmade claim.

So, go ahead there, Chair Force, set us all straight.

Sounds made up. I've owned several CRK, not impressed. It's all good though buy what you like.
You haven't explained any such thing. Please stop attempting to pass off your opinion as facts, it's bad logic, it makes you look bad, and you should feel bad. Also, you bought an entire knife store? Weird flex, but alright. I've been in an awful lot of knife stores in my life that were full of complete crap. If you don't want to list out which brands you think are better, that tells me that you aren't confident in your assertions and are afraid of them (and you) getting destroyed. I mean, what are you going to say, Benchmade? LOLOLOL That would be rich. Spyderco? Great knives, not CRK level quality across their bread and butter models though. Who else, Buck? LMAO That would be even more amusing than the Benchmade claim.

Judging by him dropping "blades too thin to do anything but whittling" I'm thinking he's gonna hit us with Medford or the like, LOL. If it's Heeter, I'll be going home from work early.

img_20190130_154628_5537794707667173733176.jpg

So I got the large Sebenza and I'm glad I got this over the small. Thanks everyone!!
Congrats on a fine knife.
BTW you are fine in GKD but there is a also a dedicated CRK subforum, should you want to really go broke catch the CRK bug.
Nitpick; its Chris Reeve (not ReeveS). The CRK fans dont much care for the extra 's.' Dont worry, you are not the first nor the last to add it :)

CRK folders are the dress watch of the knife world. Cute to look at and will cut but made to sit in a safe or wear for dress up days. Had a few, more for collecting than using.
Hmm, dont see why the obvious quality CRK should be more for just collecting than other similar priced knives.

Seems to be a red thread. This one claims the equivalent of an entire knife store.
Tommy claimed - what was it - 20 or $40K worth of knives and never backed up his claims of countless knives.
Delusions of grandeur …. or just delusions?

All we’re asking for is how you came to that conclusion, and what brands are better in your eyes. I’m interested to know as well.
Ditto.
Im curious. 007Airman, you cant really make a claim without naming the knives so superior to CRK. Fess up, please.

Reactions: BP_
I bought out a dealer years ago and picked up several reeve along with many other brands all the other brands were better made. The reeve were the least impressive. The thumb purchase is not sized properly, way too small especially on the small models. The blades are way too thin for anything except whittling and the ceramic ball wears the tang prematurely if you actually flick like a normal blade. The clip is terrible the only thing the keeps it from being the worst is it's not made in China. The only saving grace is the bushings.
Reeve needs to step up to making a real folder.
Sounds made up.
I've never experienced any premature tang wear from the CRK ball detent, nor any premature wear at all on any CRK knife I own. Everything else is your opinion and/or user inability/user error, and nothing more. Like or dislike whatever you want, but you make extraordinary claims about the inferiority of CRK knives, then back off from giving details on which brands you claim are superior.

Jim

I bought out a dealer years ago and picked up several reeve along with many other brands all the other brands were better made. The reeve were the least impressive. The thumb purchase is not sized properly, way too small especially on the small models. The blades are way too thin for anything except whittling and the ceramic ball wears the tang prematurely if you actually flick like a normal blade. The clip is terrible the only thing the keeps it from being the worst is it's not made in China. The only saving grace is the bushings.
Reeve needs to step up to making a real folder.

I refuse to believe you, unless you work in a story about single handedly defeating a Chicago street gang.

Full disclosure: I don't own nor have I ever even handled a Reeve knife. I can't comment on what they are "good for". I will say that they are a classic design. By classic I don't mean dated. They just hang out in a particular niche using a very good (if not trendy new) steel and meticulous lock up.

A large 21 Sebenza is my 2019 grail knife. I've told myself that I will have earned it by this summer, and I have wanted one for over a decade. To me, and this is just pure subjection, a CRK is kinda of an "arrived" knife. I know that sounds silly. I have spent twice on a gun than what a Sebbie would run me. I have amassed several of thousands worth of knives over 30 years. All bit by bit and only cracking the the $200 mark in the last couple of years when it comes to folders.

The CRK folder is a knife that is made to be used. Shown even modest care they have been recorded as being great EDC knives for folks who find value in spending a good amount of money on a piece of known quality. For me, I have a stack of ZT knives that may have more "modern" steel. They may be designed to hold up to some sort of non-qualitative level of abuse. They are pretty and well put together. But, they aren't a Sebenza. They aren't what a lot of frame locks have been measured against for 20 years.

When I buy my 21, I plan on carrying it every day. Not because it's the best at anything. Not because it is this be-all, end-all alpha/omega knife that cannot be improved upon. I'll carry it because I wanted it, and I accomplished something that I feel earned it. I don't own a safe, and even if I did, it's going to stay in my pocket and not locked up.

Full disclosure: I don't own nor have I ever even handled a Reeve knife. I can't comment on what they are "good for". I will say that they are a classic design. By classic I don't mean dated. They just hang out in a particular niche using a very good (if not trendy new) steel and meticulous lock up.

A large 21 Sebenza is my 2019 grail knife. I've told myself that I will have earned it by this summer, and I have wanted one for over a decade. To me, and this is just pure subjection, a CRK is kinda of an "arrived" knife. I know that sounds silly. I have spent twice on a gun than what a Sebbie would run me. I have amassed several of thousands worth of knives over 30 years. All bit by bit and only cracking the the $200 mark in the last couple of years when it comes to folders.

The CRK folder is a knife that is made to be used. Shown even modest care they have been recorded as being great EDC knives for folks who find value in spending a good amount of money on a piece of known quality. For me, I have a stack of ZT knives that may have more "modern" steel. They may be designed to hold up to some sort of non-qualitative level of abuse. They are pretty and well put together. But, they aren't a Sebenza. They aren't what a lot of frame locks have been measured against for 20 years.

When I buy my 21, I plan on carrying it every day. Not because it's the best at anything. Not because it is this be-all, end-all alpha/omega knife that cannot be improved upon. I'll carry it because I wanted it, and I accomplished something that I feel earned it. I don't own a safe, and even if I did, it's going to stay in my pocket and not locked up.

DISCUSS THE TOPIC, NOT EACH OTHER.

0 007Airman , if you don't like CRK's that's fine, everybody has brands they like or don't like. However, considering the title of the OP's thread, your trolling comments are of no use to him... stay out of the thread.

DISCUSS THE TOPIC, NOT EACH OTHER.

0 007Airman , if you don't like CRK's that's fine, everybody has brands they like or don't like. However, considering the title of the OP's thread, your trolling comments are of no use to him... stay out of the thread.
I wasn't discussing anyone else but somehow I'm singled out. Good judgement there.

I wasn't discussing anyone else but somehow I'm singled out. Good judgement there.

You're singled out because you made an inflaming comment and then were asked repeatedly from a qualitative standpoint of why and what properties make you feel that the CRK products were inferior to an entire store-full of other brands.

What brands? Why? Quality of steel? Perception of durability? Lock up? Action? Some reason.

Personally, I would love to hear your reasons. I do not own a CRK. I would very much like to...I think. I have multiple of most every other major brand in the sub $300 range. What am i not going to get for my additional $150? What should i consider in its place? This is not thinly veiled. I am explicitly asking you directly.

You're singled out because you made an inflaming comment and then were asked repeatedly from a qualitative standpoint of why and what properties make you feel that the CRK products were inferior to an entire store-full of other brands.

What brands? Why? Quality of steel? Perception of durability? Lock up? Action? Some reason.

Personally, I would love to hear your reasons. I do not own a CRK. I would very much like to...I think. I have multiple of most every other major brand in the sub $300 range. What am i not going to get for my additional $150? What should i consider in its place? This is not thinly veiled. I am explicitly asking you directly.
His last user name was dirtvictim he was a big Cold Steel fan then. I think he still is.https://www.bladeforums.com/members/dirtvictim.478655/

My " DISCUSS THE TOPIC, NOT EACH OTHER " was directed towards EVERYONE that was derailing the thread... you were not singled out on that.

What I DID single you out on is what I tagged you about... your trolling posts about CRK.

My " DISCUSS THE TOPIC, NOT EACH OTHER " was directed towards EVERYONE that was derailing the thread... you were not singled out on that.

What I DID single you out on is what I tagged you about... your trolling posts about CRK.
Thank you for clarifying that, I was not purposely trolling. I will watch that in the future.

I was told by anothe moderator not to reply here on this so I will not. If it can be addressed in other post then I may do so.

Back