I prefer to carry an EDC...

• with a pocket clip

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • without a pocket clip

• makes no difference to me

• Total voters
I EDC knives with and without pocket clips. Pocket clip equipped knives are nice because of their ready accessibility, however traditionals and SAK's are best the way they are- clipless. So, it doesn't really matter for me.

I like clips, but they're just not NYC legal

Sure glad I do not live in NYC. Heck clips are even legal in the UK,
on that one knife that Spyderco makes especially for that locale.
Why are they not legal in NYC, just curious?
icon_scratchhead.GIF

Mostly, I don't care for clips. Knife goes in the pocket, stays there well enough, doesn't disturb me but is accesible.

Granted, I normally wear heavy trousers and a strong belt so even big and heavy knives go in a pocket nice and easy. If I'm in a suit, I'll skip the Buck 110 or such and take the light, slender Laguiole instead.

With my Benchmades, the only ones I don't have clipped are my 520 and maybe the 420 I have coming, both due to their thickness. For these I'll use a plain large BM pouch. The rest, even my 615, go in the right pocket.

I voted doesn't matter, because with a smaller knife, or a slipjoint I don't want a clip but a few of my larger edc's really need them!

I'm not sure if this was mentioined yet in this thread but I prefer the clip in general but I have found that the clip is what I grip onto when I'm opening an assisted knife using the thumbstud. I find that my three of four fingertips are hooking along the length of the clip as a brace when I'm pushing the thumbstud with my thumb.

I have switched hands to see if it makes a difference to not have the clip to brace against when pushing the thumbstud and I have found the difference is huge in favor of having the clip for that reason alone.

Last edited:
Clips are legal in Canada but knives that can be "flicked" open are getting people harassed and sometimes even arrested as gravity knives. So I have been either keeping my knives out of sight or EDCing a fixed blade.

NO!

with a clip everybody can see that I carry a knife, and i certainly do not want that

even with a blacked out clip and black slacks? I dont wear jeans so as long as I stick to the darker variety its really hard to notice.

I like a 4" folder for my EDC and that's just too much weight at the bottom of my pocket. With a clip, it sits just at the edge of the pocket where I can draw it without rooting around. Using the clip also keeps the knife vertical, which makes is less bulky feeling against my leg. If I'm wearing thinner dress pants, I'll choose a smaller, lighter folder like a Moki or Al Mar, but still use a clip. Frankly, I don't know how I got along for so many years without one!

My next project will be a pocket sheath for the folders, to try to get away from the exposed clip, but I don't know if I'll be able to deal with all that mass in my pocket on a regular basis.

Stitchawl

With my Benchmades, the only ones I don't have clipped are my 520 and maybe the 420 I have coming, both due to their thickness. For these I'll use a plain large BM pouch. The rest, even my 615, go in the right pocket.

Adding to what I said above, I just got the 420 Snody and it carries decently in the pocket with the clip attached. I tried it in the pouch and I just can't get used to it carried that way.

So clipped it is!

Note: I think the 520's the only exception. Those aluminum scales have torn up two pairs of jeans so it goes clipless in the BM pouch.

I do not like clipping on my pants pocket or having a knife in my pocket.

So I carry my knives in a belt pouch.

I'm not one to take clips off of knives and I do prefer clipping to my pocket over wearing a sheath. SAKs would be the exception, though.

I voted yes; but specific to 4-way clips. I don't often use the clip but the option is a requirement.

Back