Pocket knives at school for work

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I drove a car to school, I'd keep it there under the seat or something, just not visible from the outside. What are they going to do? Get a search warrant? Stupid stuff.

Plausible deniabilty.

What will they do if they find a knife your dad left in his car which you are driving?
It's not yours, not in your property and you haven't put it there and probably didn't even know it's owner lost it under the foot mat.
They could try to expel him ;-)

Btw tire irons! Tire Irons!! Ought be banned from school grounds.

Thins have sure changed. Back when I was in school pretty much every boy ( and some girls) and most teachers had a pocket knife of some type; if I recall correctly they needed to be 4 inches or less. Often a teacher would borrow a students knife.

If I drove a car to school, I'd keep it there under the seat or something, just not visible from the outside. What are they going to do? Get a search warrant? Stupid stuff.

They don't need one.

Plausible deniabilty.

What will they do if they find a knife your dad left in his car which you are driving?
It's not yours, not in your property and you haven't put it there and probably didn't even know it's owner lost it under the foot mat.

If you drove the car whatever is in it is in your possession. With the logic you just presented not one person ever would get booked for anything found in their car. "No officer, those drugs, weapons, dead hookers, nuclear bombs aren't mine". See how well that works out.

Plausible deniabilty.

This. I wouldn't worry about it and just keep it in the car.

As a parent, if they tried to punish my kid for having a tool in their vehicle that they use for a job that they're reliable enough to keep at that age... I'd probably end up on the news or in jail. Or both.

Thins have sure changed. Back when I was in school pretty much every boy ( and some girls) and most teachers had a pocket knife of some type; if I recall correctly they needed to be 4 inches or less. Often a teacher would borrow a students knife.
I wish that was still the case. It's a shame that students have to jump through these hoops just to get a tool from home to work, if they have school in-between.

They don't need one.

If you drove the car whatever is in it is in your possession. With the logic you just presented not one person ever would get booked for anything found in their car. "No officer, those drugs, weapons, dead hookers, nuclear bombs aren't mine". See how well that works out.
They'd get booked but if the owner of the car confesses it's his drugs or knives the driver would go home free.
If his dad said he had lost his knife in this car they'd not be able to convict the student.

Also is everything in your possession unknowingly and dangerous your fault? If a bomb is placed in my car to kill me (you started playing with that scenario) and it explodes and kills me would you blame me for unknowingly possessing it? It's the persons fault who placed it there.

Anyways if it's really 100% zero tolerance policy it could be a good way to get back at bullies. Drop knives in their cars and even if not even their finger prints are on it they'll get expelled.

Not advocating it and just looking at extremes to see where the limits of such policies are.

Last edited:
They don't need one.

I guess one needs to take in account the reputation of the student, school history on such things, and so forth, but I feel sure an enterprising young man can find a suitable place to tuck a regular knife in their car out of sight. But, since it is against school policy, I am not recommending it for someone else. It is just what I would do.

Aside from actual legal ramifications, you also need to consider that the school is well within their rights to expel that student. legally responsible or not, if you violate a zero tolerance policy that's a big deal these days.

Ill tell you this, I'm sure I probably COULD have gotten away with keeping my pocket knife in my mom's station wagon I took to school, but I never took that chance. All it takes is someone catching a glimpse of it, or a vindictive ex trying to get back at you and your kicked out of school.

You'd probably get away with it, but on the off chance you don't, the legal and non legal penalties at stake just aren't worth it. If you have any other means of keeping a knife at work or off school grounds go that route.

They don't need one.

Hey all of that applies except the dead hookers, those are definitely mine ;)

I would say keep it in the glove box. Don't tell people you have it though. I believe there SHOULD be a reason for them to search your car or do they just randomly ransack a handful every day? Also get your dad to say it was his and that debunks any charges as long as you play dumb. I carried a knife on me from 2nd grade on but never gave any reason to be searched and never mentioned it to anybody. A couple friends knew but kept it quiet. Sad that this is a real question these days! :(

I think you will need to keep it at work. Schools' no weapons policies pretty much prohibit having anything anywhere anytime on school grounds, even if locked in your vehicle. Perhaps your boss can just put it in his desk drawer at night, and you pick it up when you show up to work.

Times have changed. Back in the '70s & '80s, I carried a nice Puma lockback in my pocket through Junior High and into my freshman year in college, and never had a problem. Well, not one related to the knife, anyway...

Even better: I went to a private highschool...what we call a Prep School here in New England. We had free periods, where one could go to study hall, or work out in the gym. I'd often go fishing. I sat through more than a few classes after coming off the river with a sheathed filet knife on my belt and a SAK in my pocket.

Last edited:
Don't risk it. Period.

You could leave it in your car, and never have an issue, but do you want to risk it? Things aren't like they were 25 years ago when I was in high school. With zero tolerance policies, unsympathetic faculty, and an uncaring legal system, one 'minor' slip up could follow you for the rest of your life. It sucks, but it's the reality we live in these days.

Find a way to leave it at work, or some other solution, but don't risk your future over it.

It's sad the reality we live in these days. It's sad we've allowed it to become a reality.

I have a tendency to ignore silly laws with little meaning but to make things tough for good people.

Myself and I never recommend doing what I do , I'd carry it in my pocket discreetly.

If the tree hugging staff catches you, drop out and apply full time at your job and you'll be ahead of the rest in your career.

I'd recommend just avoiding places you can't take your knives, guns, etc but pretty tough to do that with a school.

This kind of stuff really pushes my buttons ya know?

It's sad the reality we live in these days. It's sad we've allowed it to become a reality.

I have a tendency to ignore silly laws with little meaning but to make things tough for good people.

Myself and I never recommend doing what I do , I'd carry it in my pocket discreetly.

If the tree hugging staff catches you, drop out and apply full time at your job and you'll be ahead of the rest in your career.

I'd recommend just avoiding places you can't take your knives, guns, etc but pretty tough to do that with a school.

This kind of stuff really pushes my buttons ya know?

I can't just drop out since I'm planning on going Coast Guard after high school and they want that diploma. I recently learned something cool about my car in specific though. With a bit of effort and a screwdriver, I can detach the inside panel and get to the area behind my brake lights. It wouldn't be able to ride there, but I keep my backpack in the trunk when I drive so when I'm grabbing it, drop the knife behind the light and slip it in my pocket after school. Maybe not the best idea but it could work

So many people advocating for outright lying... :thumbdn:
I agree, this is not something to take chances with, especially if you can't, or don't want to, rely on mom and dad for help with legal fees and disciplinary problems, as I assume the op doesn't.

I completely understand bending the rules sometimes, we all do it, but that's with the knowledge and social/financial ability to handle the times when the rules snap back and hit ya in the jewels.

I don't know about all of y'all but I certainly didn't have the capital or knowledge to advocate for myself effectively when I was in highschool.

I'd venture to guess the op probably has their life a little more together than I did at that age, but the way schools and law enforcement view this kind of stuff now, your average adult would be scrambling to cover their bases if they really decided to make a point of enforcing a zero tolerance incident.

Two high school students were recently arrested here in San Diego when folding knives were found in their vehicles in the school parking lot, they were also suspended from school. They were both good students, and after a lot of pressure from the public and media attention regarding how unfairly the students were being treated the charges were dropped and the students were allowed to return to school. But they and their families went through a lot of stress and expense in the process. One of the students has plans to join the military after graduating, and if he had been convicted of the charge he would have been denied admission.

In general, being convicted of a "weapon on school property" offense can have a devastating effect on your future plans and prospects. Good luck getting into the college of your choice with such a conviction.

Now in regards to how the knives were found in the students vehicles, cops were going randomly through the parking lot with a drug-sniffing dog, and the cops said the dog "hit" on the students vehicles, despite the fact that no traces of illegal drugs were found, and the students had no history of involvement with illegal drugs. My attorney tells me that it's very easy, and common, for LEO's to lie and say that their drug-sniffing dog "hit" on a vehicle as justification to legally search it. It's a very easy lie to tell, because a defense attorney can't question the dog under oath in court about what they did or did not actually smell.

Craytab brought up a very good point about the parents. When the subject involves a minor, knives, the law, school rules, and how a bad decision can negatively affect the students future and cost the parents a lot of money, I think the parents should be at the forefront of the conversation. I don't think a decision should be made based on the opinions of a bunch of total strangers on an internet forum who have absolutely nothing to lose in the matter.

Last edited:
stash it up inside the seat cushion or hang it under the dash. and keep your moth shut.

society is f*cked up. you can keep a screw driver in your car but not a SAK.

stash it up inside the seat cushion or hang it under the dash. and keep your moth shut.

society is f*cked up. you can keep a screw driver in your car but not a SAK.

That screwdriver is perfectly safe, but your non-locking inch and a half swiss army knife is a deadly weapon!

Just a thought to stay probably legal and not have to lie.

Every day have the student's dad put a random knife which belongs to him into a number combination safe in his car which you are using. Every day he should change the combination and only give it to the student via phone once he has left the school area.
This way the student doesn't know exactly what's in there and can claim no knowledge hed also have no access to it while at school.
Of course a real lawyer should be consulted and I'm sure they'd advice to be careful no matter what solution one might have thought of.

Also hiding it in a place where its obvious that it's hidden on purpose by the student isn't really smart. If at all it should be placed where one could claim that he didn't know it was there and his mom or dad could have lost it.

What speaks against a cheap knife and storing it somewhere next to the road?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back