Pocket knives at school for work

Status
Not open for further replies.
I personally don't see anything wrong with keeping it in your car locked in the glove box. Unless they do random sweeps of cars (which is probably not allowed) it's unlikely they'll ever find it. Biggest thing is don't be stupid, people get in trouble for bragging about carrying a knife or having a knife in their car. If you don't say anything about it, chances are you'll never have a problem. But bringing it into school is a good way to get in trouble, especially in a place with really strict 0 tolerance policies.

Every day have the student's dad put a random knife which belongs to him into a number combination safe in his car which you are using

I drive my own car, pay my own insurance and fill up my tank with the money I get from my job. Also, the only knives my dad has are a Leatherman wave and Gerber backup guardian he got while in Egypt that he keeps in his room. My current plan is to talk to the principal on the first day of school and see if I can work something out. I have pictures of the knives on my phone set up to a tape measure so that they have a non-biased source to see the blade lengths for themselves without taking the risk of bringing them with me to show them

I drive my own car, pay my own insurance and fill up my tank with the money I get from my job. Also, the only knives my dad has are a Leatherman wave and Gerber backup guardian he got while in Egypt that he keeps in his room. My current plan is to talk to the principal on the first day of school and see if I can work something out. I have pictures of the knives on my phone set up to a tape measure so that they have a non-biased source to see the blade lengths for themselves
You seem very responsible. Would be a shame if they don't find a solution.
Good luck. :)

Another option might be to park across the street from the school parking lot.

Plausible deniabilty.

What will they do if they find a knife your dad left in his car which you are driving?
It's not yours, not in your property and you haven't put it there and probably didn't even know it's owner lost it under the foot mat.
They could try to expel him ;-)

Btw tire irons! Tire Irons!! Ought be banned from school grounds.

Not to mention: baseball bats; hockey sticks; screw-drivers; wood chisels; chrorine and ammonia. :eek:

Don't know your area well. Is parking on campus your only option or is there a safe off campus option you could walk from?

Don't know your area well. Is parking on campus your only option or is there a safe off campus option you could walk from?

It's the only option. The parking lot directly across from my high school is the elementary school, so no luck there

Two high school students were recently arrested here in San Diego when folding knives were found in their vehicles in the school parking lot, they were also suspended from school. They were both good students, and after a lot of pressure from the public and media attention regarding how unfairly the students were being treated the charges were dropped and the students were allowed to return to school. But they and their families went through a lot of stress and expense in the process. One of the students has plans to join the military after graduating, and if he had been convicted of the charge he would have been denied admission.

In general, being convicted of a "weapon on school property" offense can have a devastating effect on your future plans and prospects. Good luck getting into the college of your choice with such a conviction.

Now in regards to how the knives were found in the students vehicles, cops were going randomly through the parking lot with a drug-sniffing dog, and the cops said the dog "hit" on the students vehicles, despite the fact that no traces of illegal drugs were found, and the students had no history of involvement with illegal drugs. My attorney tells me that it's very easy, and common, for LEO's to lie and say that their drug-sniffing dog "hit" on a vehicle as justification to legally search it. It's a very easy lie to tell, because a defense attorney can't question the dog under oath in court about what they did or did not actually smell.

Craytab brought up a very good point about the parents. When the subject involves a minor, knives, the law, school rules, and how a bad decision can negatively affect the students future and cost the parents a lot of money, I think the parents should be at the forefront of the conversation. I don't think a decision should be made based on the opinions of a bunch of total strangers on an internet forum who have absolutely nothing to lose in the matter.

Thank you for writing all this, so I didn't have to! Unfortunately the only option I would feel comfortable with is leaving the knife somewhere at work. There are a bunch of people responding to this thread that don't know what is really going on in US schools now a days. How they worked it at the high school I went to, which was not in a high crime area, was that when you bought your parking permit, you signed a waiver. This waiver very clearly said that your vehicles could be searched at any time, for any reason, or randomly, and you would be held accountable for anything in the vehicle. There have been cases of kids getting in trouble for a parents knife, in a parents vehicle, they drove to school. The schools "Zero Tolerance" policies do not leave room for common sense.

If I were you, I would not take the risk of being in huge trouble, over something as simple as a pocket knife. Just figure something out where you can keep the knife at work. Good Luck,
Bruce

The schools "Zero Tolerance" policies do not leave room for common sense.

If I were you, I would not take the risk of being in huge trouble, over something as simple as a pocket knife. Just figure something out where you can keep the knife at work. Good Luck,

Pretty reasonable response. I think the zero tolerance policies need to be changed to allow for common sense. But if all else fails, someone at your place of work can probably store it for you there. Not a big deal really, but I hate depending on other people for things that might be important to me.

Yeah id advise against that a friend of mine got arrested and almost expelled from my HS because he forgot that he had his knife in the pants that he wore to scouts the night before, that he then wore to school. That was 7 years ago and I think that schools haven't relaxed any in the last few years.
I have an almost identical situation. My buddy left a small 1.5 inch folder in his backpack that was sniffed out by a drug dog on a random sniff day.

My advice. Make a quick stop by your house to grab the knife, maybe change and go on your way. Unless it's way out of the way. Or talk to your boss to find a location to store it at work.

Or, park off campus
Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

.... My current plan is to talk to the principal on the first day of school and see if I can work something out. I have pictures of the knives on my phone set up to a tape measure so that they have a non-biased source to see the blade lengths for themselves without taking the risk of bringing them with me to show them

Not a bad idea. Great idea actually. May I recommend that you get approval from your parents before speaking with your principal. If your parents are on board with the idea it will look better in the eyes of the principal or whom ever you speak with.

I drive my own car, pay my own insurance and fill up my tank with the money I get from my job. Also, the only knives my dad has are a Leatherman wave and Gerber backup guardian he got while in Egypt that he keeps in his room. My current plan is to talk to the principal on the first day of school and see if I can work something out. I have pictures of the knives on my phone set up to a tape measure so that they have a non-biased source to see the blade lengths for themselves without taking the risk of bringing them with me to show them

I can't imagine any scenario where that will work out for you. Just the way it is now, I used to carry a knife discreetly when I was in college but I never would have even attempted that in high school. When you get off school just drive home to get your tools (knife, SAK etc.) I'm sure if you told your boss you need a few extra minutes to go home after school to get your work gear they would allow it.

I'm 40 years old. None of my schools in the 70s thru 2000s ever allowed students to carry knives. It was never really a big deal we just didn't carry on campus. This has been pretty standard and broadly applied for years, so this isn't something new or a tightening of liberal ways... The problem is that the schools have to draw a line somewhere and that line has to account for the irresponsible minority of youth that would do something stupid with a knife on campus.

Except those very irresponsible minority carry a knife at school regardless of policy. Only metal detectors will slow them down.

I have an almost identical situation. My buddy left a small 1.5 inch folder in his backpack that was sniffed out by a drug dog on a random sniff day.

My advice. Make a quick stop by your house to grab the knife, maybe change and go on your way. Unless it's way out of the way. Or talk to your boss to find a location to store it at work.

Or, park off campus

I can't imagine any scenario where that will work out for you. Just the way it is now, I used to carry a knife discreetly when I was in college but I never would have even attempted that in high school. When you get off school just drive home to get your tools (knife, SAK etc.) I'm sure if you told your boss you need a few extra minutes to go home after school to get your work gear they would allow it.
There's a difference between a few minutes and well over a half hour

Or, park off campus

What school did you go to where you had random drug sniff days?

I frequently carried a pocket knife in junior high and high school (1983-1988). While they were technically prohibited, I never pulled them out openly while at school (just little stealth uses here and there) and never really had a problem. I say never really, because one teacher in 7th grade did see me cutting something in wood shop class, but he just told me to put it away and not let him see it again. Back then they didn't feel the need to call the SWAT team or expel kids over stuff like this. Today is a whole different world, and it's just not worth the risk. Makes me sick too, but what are you going to do? :confused::(

"Ask your parents" is the correct answer.

With that said, at the school where I teach no one would think twice if a student had something like a SAK in the glove compartment of their car. Heck, when I've seen students with pocket knives I've told them to put them away and not let me see it again.

Technically, I'm not allowed to have a knife in my pocket, as it is a violation of our district's employee guidelines. But I don't care. If I have trousers on, there's a knife in my pocket.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back