Pocket knives at school for work

Status
Not open for further replies.
While I don't doubt it happens I have a hard time believing it's legal for them to search cars without consent of the owner.

While I don't doubt it happens I have a hard time believing it's legal for them to search cars without consent of the owner.

Probably much like with many workplaces; you consent to those searches as a condition of employment (or enrollment in the case of schools).

I don't understand what advice you're seeking.
You know the laws governing the school you attend. If you chose to ignore/break those laws concerning knives, there is no one to blame but yourself. Why would you even consider a gamble that could affect your future ????
If you don't have time to swing by the house and get the tools you like to use for your job, then the most logical thing to do is to talk to your employer about furnishing a tool for your work or see if they have lockers of some sort to store your stuff in.
The key is to get your work done, not necessarily which tool you would like to do the job with.
It really is a common sense decision.

2009 of the zero judgment era.

"As a 17-year-old Eagle Scout continues to wait out a one-month suspension from his upstate New York high school for having a 2-inch pocketknife locked in a survival kit in his car, the U.S. Military Academy says the missed school days could pose a big problem when it reviews his application."

I have an idea. I've got a friend who lives about 10 minutes away from the school on foot who is willing to let me park my car there during the school day. I've also got a bike that can fit in my car. I'll just park there, ride the bike to school, ride it back to my car and go home. The school has no authority off school property. I could tell every single person in the school that I have a knife in my car and when called out for my car to be searched, I'll tell them the truth. They can't do $**T about it then. Nowhere does it say that I can't have a knife OFF of school property

I have an idea. I've got a friend who lives about 10 minutes away from the school on foot who is willing to let me park my car there during the school day. I've also got a bike that can fit in my car. I'll just park there, ride the bike to school, ride it back to my car and go home. The school has no authority off school property. I could tell every single person in the school that I have a knife in my car and when called out for my car to be searched, I'll tell them the truth. They can't do $**T about it then. Nowhere does it say that I can't have a knife OFF of school property
Sounds like a good solution, except for the bolded part. Keeping your mouth shut about things that other people have no need to know about is a good lesson to learn early.

Sounds like a good solution, except for the bolded part. Keeping your mouth shut about things that other people have no need to know about is a good lesson to learn early.

That was more of a hypothetical. Only good friends will actually know of/see them

Hi Ostanley99. From what you write, you look a responsible and mature young man with a desire to be independent and to “make it” by yourself. I grew up very much in the same way, with summer jobs since secondary school (at that time it was not considered child labor :)) and worked different summer/part-time jobs throughout the years of my education, trying not to be a dead weight on my parent’s shoulders. Kudos!

My suggestion is you can speak with your employer at work, instead than with your principal at school. In this way you could avoid drawing unwanted attention on your potential carry of knives and tools, being this a zero tolerance issue at your school, if I understand it correctly. As a kid, I have been working a few years in an ornamental tree nursery and some years as a stable boy in a riding school. Both working places were equipped with changing rooms and lockers for employees (though rather basic in the tree nursery :D), where I could keep my uniform/working cloths and my few belongings. I imagine a sawmill has the same. Worst case talk to your shift leader, he/she can take care of your knife and give it to you at the beginning of the shift and take it back at the end of it.

I am not familiar with legislation in your State and school but, living in a quite regulated country, I can say what is acceptable and non-acceptable here, just as a reference: a MT/SAK in the car can be OK, since they are considered exactly multi-tools and one can have a “justified reason” to have them there (i.e.: quick fix of something); the Mini-Griptilian could put one in trouble instead, if out of recreational/professional context/needs. Note that everything, anyway, has to be stored away or packed e.g. in a pouch, back-pack, etc., “out of immediate reach” as our legislation says; when so, even a machete can be OK to keep in the car, if one can give a sound reasonable reason (e.g. I’m taking it to the sharpener :))! This unfortunately also mean that, nowadays, an “innocent” loose screwdriver in the storage compartment of the car door can put one into trouble here, if a zealous Officer is on a bad day. So be careful! Abiding the law might cost a bit both in terms of getting to know it and giving up some personal freedom but failure to comply can have nasty consequences :(. Good luck.

I understand it's against the rules, but can you trust yourself to leave it in your car ?
Is there any reason why the principle would want to search your car ? Surely they don't pick someone at random.
I wouldn't want you to be expelled of course , but for crying out loud , it's getting a little silly

Herlock for the win.

This is a simple problem with a simple solution. Talk to you employer and the to your principal.

All this skulking around and hiding stuff... Only attracts more grief.

Make an appointment. Be polite and reasonable. Good practice for the Coast Guard.

I can remember bringing Buck 110's, and Bali-Songs to school back in the day. Nobody cared. If you got caught with one the teachers always said "put it away before I take it". Honestly kid......just leave it at work in a safe spot. Not worth getting into serious trouble at school.
Edit: I wouldn't say ANYTHING to ANYONE about carrying knives for work, or whatever at the school. Loose lips sink ships, and all that......

Last edited:
I can remember bringing Buck 110's, and Bali-Songs to school back in the day. Nobody cared. If you got caught with one the teachers always said "put it away before I take it". Honestly kid......just leave it at work in a safe spot. Not worth getting into serious trouble at school.
Edit: I wouldn't say ANYTHING to ANYONE about carrying knives for work, or whatever at the school. Loose lips sink ships, and all that......
Wasn't it "clips on hips sink ships"?

Seriously, just park off campus and keep it in your car. I parked off campus for years when I was in school so I could keep *certain things* in my car without fear of search, seizure, or other repercussions.

There is a way to accomplish what you want to do without breaking any rules, ridiculous as they may be.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

When I'm at school I just keep the knife in my pocket. Not clipped to the pocket just in it and don't take it out. And you could keep it in your car, just keep it in the center console or something. Don't go around school bragging about it. The SAK should not be a problem at all because everyone knows that knife as a tool rather than a weapon. And it isn't exactly accepted vernacular to refer to non knife people as sheeple.

Or you can just keep a beater knife at work. In case it gets stolen by a coworker or broken or whatever it wouldn't be a big deal

Seriously, just park off campus and keep it in your car. I parked off campus for years when I was in school so I could keep *certain things* in my car without fear of search, seizure, or other repercussions.

There is a way to accomplish what you want to do without breaking any rules, ridiculous as they may be.

And you don't even have to mention to people it is because of a knife.... maybe you just don't like giving up your rights as a young adult because you are on "school property".

I drive my own car, pay my own insurance and fill up my tank with the money I get from my job. Also, the only knives my dad has are a Leatherman wave and Gerber backup guardian he got while in Egypt that he keeps in his room. My current plan is to talk to the principal on the first day of school and see if I can work something out. I have pictures of the knives on my phone set up to a tape measure so that they have a non-biased source to see the blade lengths for themselves without taking the risk of bringing them with me to show them

That will not work. The principle is not going to allow you to violate state law. You will only draw attention to yourself.

I know how to handle that. If I realize that I realize that I forgot a knife in my car, I can leave my keys on the driver's seat and keep the spare with me. Not planning on it, but it seems like a last second rear end saver

I ain't throwing my Benchmade or Victorinox or Spyderco out of my car. If I really had to, I'd walk to the local movie theater, catch a movie and know that they're not going to stick around for hours on end, on their own dime mind you on the off chance they find something

Right. Because that is what cops do when they want to search something that is locked. They just give up and go away :rolleyes:

Also, won't you be late for work if you go watch a movie to avoid the police? At that point wouldn't it just be a better idea to leave the knife at home and take the extra half hour to get it after school?

Now wait a second. I thought you couldn't go home after school to get the knife before you go to work. But here you say you are going home? Why not just leave the knife at home if you are going there anyway?

I'll say it again, you should be talking to your parents about this not a bunch of strangers on the internet. Follow the rules and laws. Do what your parents say.

"state law"

Perhaps. Or perhaps not. Most of the stories I have seen cite local school district policy to avoid having to make a judgment call.
Knives
Except as provided under RCW 9.41.280, state law does not prohibit the possession of common pocket knives or other sharp tools on school grounds. However, school policies and rules do typically prohibit students from possessing knives on school grounds or at school events. Local ordinances may also prohibit minors from possessing knives – either on or off of school grounds.

All this boils down to just one main fact. You're a kid on school grounds, and the school rules are no knives allowed. This also includes your car. As has been mentioned by some members who read the news, some kids who had knives in their cars have had major trouble over it. Factoid; when you are on school ground, the school rules are in effect. There is no compromise, no time out because you are special, nada. You say you are planning on joining the Coast Guard. Well kid, the Coast Guard is not about to let yo have a knife when you go through boot camp. Are you going to try to smuggle one in? Or how about when you have to go to a court house? No uni yes allowed there either. Or flying someplace. Going through airport security with a knife is a no-no.

Like it or not, being an obsessed knife nut or not, there's times in life that you are not going to be allowed to have a knife on you. Get over it. There's been five pages of text now on how to get around the rules. If I were a Coast Guard officer I'd be very hesitant to accept you on this basis, that you have a problem following rules when it comes to your knife fixation. I always had a knife in my pocket growing up, but when I went off to the army for boot camp, I had to leave my knife behind, and surprise, surprise, I survived the experience. Out of boot camp, I put a knife back in my pocket and went on with life. I had jury duty, so I left the knife home. Millions of people get by every day with no knife on them, and survive.

Leave a SAK at your work place, and don't make a big deal out of it. You're already made too big a deal out of a small issue, so chill out, follow the rules until you get out of school and get on with life. Even when you become an adult, there will still be rules to follow, so get used to it. There's names for those who don't follow rules too well. Inmate, looser, fast food industry worker.

You have your whole life in front of you right now. Don't screw it up over a fixation on some inanimate object.

That will not work. The principle is not going to allow you to violate state law. You will only draw attention to yourself.

Right. Because that is what cops do when they want to search something that is locked. They just give up and go away :rolleyes:

Also, won't you be late for work if you go watch a movie to avoid the police? At that point wouldn't it just be a better idea to leave the knife at home and take the extra half hour to get it after school?

Now wait a second. I thought you couldn't go home after school to get the knife before you go to work. But here you say you are going home? Why not just leave the knife at home if you are going there anyway?

I'll say it again, you should be talking to your parents about this not a bunch of strangers on the internet. Follow the rules and laws. Do what your parents say.

It's not my house I was referring to. It's a friend's house that I was talking to as this thread was progressing

All this boils down to just one main fact. You're a kid on school grounds, and the school rules are no knives allowed. This also includes your car. As has been mentioned by some members who read the news, some kids who had knives in their cars have had major trouble over it. Factoid; when you are on school ground, the school rules are in effect. There is no compromise, no time out because you are special, nada. You say you are planning on joining the Coast Guard. Well kid, the Coast Guard is not about to let yo have a knife when you go through boot camp. Are you going to try to smuggle one in? Or how about when you have to go to a court house? No uni yes allowed there either. Or flying someplace. Going through airport security with a knife is a no-no.

Like it or not, being an obsessed knife nut or not, there's times in life that you are not going to be allowed to have a knife on you. Get over it. There's been five pages of text now on how to get around the rules. If I were a Coast Guard officer I'd be very hesitant to accept you on this basis, that you have a problem following rules when it comes to your knife fixation. I always had a knife in my pocket growing up, but when I went off to the army for boot camp, I had to leave my knife behind, and surprise, surprise, I survived the experience. Out of boot camp, I put a knife back in my pocket and went on with life. I had jury duty, so I left the knife home. Millions of people get by every day with no knife on them, and survive.

Leave a SAK at your work place, and don't make a big deal out of it. You're already made too big a deal out of a small issue, so chill out, follow the rules until you get out of school and get on with life. Even when you become an adult, there will still be rules to follow, so get used to it. There's names for those who don't follow rules too well. Inmate, looser, fast food industry worker.

You have your whole life in front of you right now. Don't screw it up over a fixation on some inanimate object.

I do not need a knife for coast guard boot camp. I do however need one at work. And from what I've read, they issue a set of straight razors(utility knives) to you when you get there

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back