Pocket knives at school for work

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an almost identical situation. My buddy left a small 1.5 inch folder in his backpack that was sniffed out by a drug dog on a random sniff day.

My advice. Make a quick stop by your house to grab the knife, maybe change and go on your way. Unless it's way out of the way. Or talk to your boss to find a location to store it at work.

Or, park off campus
Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Why would a dog sniffing g for drugs, sniff out a knife? We're there drugs on the knife? Or some delectable smelling food on it? Just not sure how a dog sniffs out a knife.

Why would a dog sniffing g for drugs, sniff out a knife? We're there drugs on the knife? Or some delectable smelling food on it? Just not sure how a dog sniffs out a knife.
That's what I thought. It was a bushcrafting knife, and I know the kid, straight as an arrow, never touched any drugs or alcohol. We've been friends since we were in diapers so...

Either way, the dog knew there was a knife in there. Don't ask how it knew, it just knew

My highschool didn't, but the one my friend went to. It was in the suburbs of the Seattle/Tacoma area

Yeah, my high school had random drug "checks" with dogs, on lockers, and through the parking lot. Again, this was in a small town, absolutely not a high crime area. There were no metal detectors or any other "security" measures in place. The whole thing was pretty ridiculous and I think maybe once a year or so, they would find a very small amount of weed. Oh, and I graduated high school in 2001, so this was all fifteen years ago.
Bruce

I've been working in a lumber yard all summer and when I go to work, I always have at least my SAK on me. More often than not, there's a mini grip and maybe more. I anticipate being at the lumber yard through the school year and even got a PM release to allow me to work more hours. Weekends are not a problem for me since I don't have to go to school, just straight to work. When school starts back up again, this is going to be a problem for me as they are not exactly the most knife friendly place around and I will still need at least the SAK most days for work. I can't keep it in my car since there have been students in recent years who did that and got in the same amount of deep $**T as if they had it on their person.

I am wondering if you guys have any real world advice for me, which would be greatly appreciated. If I absolutely need to, I can get something new assuming it's not overly expensive but I have the regular "sheeple friendly" gear like a SAK, Gerber multitool and small locking knives such as a mini grip

ADDITION: I do not plan on outright breaking any rules and whatever decision I decide on won't be put "into action" until after I see if I can work something out with the school. Just felt like I had to add that
I cant recommend circumventing rules by hiding knives in the car, as you post else where in the thread nor is it recommendable to otherwise circumvent rules...and why should you - it your future at stake.

Besides, Im pretty sure bf MODS take a dim view of a thread encouraging such behavior.

Good thing you edited your OP and added the last bit.

You will just have to endure the relatively short stay at the school and move on. Its a minor inconvenience in the larger scheme of things after all.

Two high school students were recently arrested here in San Diego when folding knives were found in their vehicles in the school parking lot, they were also suspended from school. They were both good students, and after a lot of pressure from the public and media attention regarding how unfairly the students were being treated the charges were dropped and the students were allowed to return to school. But they and their families went through a lot of stress and expense in the process. One of the students has plans to join the military after graduating, and if he had been convicted of the charge he would have been denied admission.

In general, being convicted of a "weapon on school property" offense can have a devastating effect on your future plans and prospects. Good luck getting into the college of your choice with such a conviction.

Now in regards to how the knives were found in the students vehicles, cops were going randomly through the parking lot with a drug-sniffing dog, and the cops said the dog "hit" on the students vehicles, despite the fact that no traces of illegal drugs were found, and the students had no history of involvement with illegal drugs. My attorney tells me that it's very easy, and common, for LEO's to lie and say that their drug-sniffing dog "hit" on a vehicle as justification to legally search it. It's a very easy lie to tell, because a defense attorney can't question the dog under oath in court about what they did or did not actually smell.

Craytab brought up a very good point about the parents. When the subject involves a minor, knives, the law, school rules, and how a bad decision can negatively affect the students future and cost the parents a lot of money, I think the parents should be at the forefront of the conversation. I don't think a decision should be made based on the opinions of a bunch of total strangers on an internet forum who have absolutely nothing to lose in the matter.
There is something missing in your little story.

A high school in San Diego and two students gets picked on.

So either they opened up a whole bunch of cars in a San Diego high school car lot.....or they had reason to open up these specific two cars.

"Ask your parents" is the correct answer.

With that said, at the school where I teach no one would think twice if a student had something like a SAK in the glove compartment of their car. Heck, when I've seen students with pocket knives I've told them to put them away and not let me see it again.

Technically, I'm not allowed to have a knife in my pocket, as it is a violation of our district's employee guidelines. But I don't care. If I have trousers on, there's a knife in my pocket.

My school has similar policies. The thing is, last year we had a shooting threat and since then, there's been an LEO in the school every day. They apparently figured out who did it but didn't publicly say because of their age. The theory is that some idiot just wanted a few days off of school and was well, an idiot about it. I don't think a cop would appreciate it if I had a knife on me. I'd dearly love to be able to take my Mini Grip. I've had teachers ask "do any of you Carhart kids have an illegal weapon on you?" when he had an unusually thick cord he needed to cut that his scissors weren't able to handle. I think in hindsight that I forgot my Buck fixed blade on my belt and didn't want to get in trouble I put in my coat and no one noticed. Of course I didn't say anything. Forgetting something like that isn't something I want to do again

So either they opened up a whole bunch of cars in a San Diego high school car lot.....or they had reason to open up these specific two cars.

Although I sort of agree with you, randomly searching cars in high school parking lots, is a very real thing. This keeps everyone "on their toes" because you never know when your car is going to be next.
Bruce

Although I sort of agree with you, randomly searching cars in high school parking lots, is a very real thing. This keeps everyone "on their toes" because you never know when your car is going to be next.
Bruce
They must trigger quite a few car alarms.
Or do they only search cars of students who are there and are able to unlock it?

Yep, they just come get the key. They're not breaking into cars...

I know how to handle that. If I realize that I realize that I forgot a knife in my car, I can leave my keys on the driver's seat and keep the spare with me. Not planning on it, but it seems like a last second rear end saver

I know how to handle that. If I realize that I realize that I forgot a knife in my car, I can leave my keys on the driver's seat and keep the spare with me. Not planning on it, but it seems like a last second rear end saver

Ehhh... not sure how they would handle this at your school, but you have to leave at some point right? They would just search your car then. If I were you, in that situation, I would just drive down the street a little and throw the knife in the bushes or something, then come back and get it later after school.

Some things in school just suck, but eventually it will be over with, and you will laugh at some of the things you worried about! Just try to stay out of trouble....
Bruce

Ehhh... not sure how they would handle this at your school, but you have to leave at some point right? They would just search your car then. If I were you, in that situation, I would just drive down the street a little and throw the knife in the bushes or something, then come back and get it later after school.

Some things in school just suck, but eventually it will be over with, and you will laugh at some of the things you worried about! Just try to stay out of trouble....
Bruce

I ain't throwing my Benchmade or Victorinox or Spyderco out of my car. If I really had to, I'd walk to the local movie theater, catch a movie and know that they're not going to stick around for hours on end, on their own dime mind you on the off chance they find something

If you can get by with a box cutter at work, get one that does quick blade changes. Leave the handle in your glove box and keep the blades at work.

They'd get booked but if the owner of the car confesses it's his drugs or knives the driver would go home free.
If his dad said he had lost his knife in this car they'd not be able to convict the student.

Also is everything in your possession unknowingly and dangerous your fault? If a bomb is placed in my car to kill me (you started playing with that scenario) and it explodes and kills me would you blame me for unknowingly possessing it? It's the persons fault who placed it there.

Anyways if it's really 100% zero tolerance policy it could be a good way to get back at bullies. Drop knives in their cars and even if not even their finger prints are on it they'll get expelled.

Not advocating it and just looking at extremes to see where the limits of such policies are.

There was a story in the news a few years ago about an honor student getting expelled for having a weapon in his vehicle. He'd been helping his grandmother move the weekend before, and a kitchen knife had fallen out of a box and had been rattling around in the truck bed unbeknownst to the student.

I wouldn't say anything to your school principal, it will only draw attention to you. Just obey the rules. Talk to your boss about keeping your work knife at work.

Things sure were different 35 years ago. A matt knife was on our list of required art supplies, so everyone had at least one knife on them.

I'm not the evening news, I didn't plan on including every detail of the story in my post. :D

If you, or anyone else is truly interested in the case, just do a Google search for "San Pasqual high school students arrested for knives". It was a heavily reported story here in San Diego and you'll find several reports of the story with lots of details.

The police did say they found Advil in one of the students vehicles. I suppose that might have been their way of trying to explain why the dog hit on that vehicle. But they didn't explain the other vehicle. Nor did they say exactly how many vehicles they searched. Perhaps they searched several at random. The cops have tests to find even minute traces of illegal drugs, and if they had found any I'm sure they would have reported that in order to make the kids look bad and further justify their arrest. But from the reports I saw on the news no such drug residue was found.

Yep, they just come get the key. They're not breaking into cars...
How would they know you took your car to school that day?
Are they all registered in the school office and they check the parking lot for a license plate see what student it belongs to, what class room and then find him?

The responsible internet advice is this: If your school says no to knives, don't take the knives to school.

But do whatever you want...it's a free country...sorta...

There was a story in the news a few years ago about an honor student getting expelled for having a weapon in his vehicle. He'd been helping his grandmother move the weekend before, and a kitchen knife had fallen out of a box and had been rattling around in the truck bed unbeknownst to the student.

Wow. Unbelievable. He was just helping and then a truck bed of all places where anybody could have dropped it there to get him in trouble.

Might come back and bite you in the posterior instead. A bad idea leaving your keys on the seat for obvious reasons.

i mean, i carried knife every day of HS my senior year and never had a problem. then again, i never got caught. probably not the best example :D
i did the same thing haha, had 1-2 pocket knives on me my 11-12th grade year and mostly all of my teachers knew and some had even asked to use it, but then again where im from we dont have the kind of stabbings and other sort of problems. People round here where i live have more trust in one another especially if you prove it to em. Back to the topic at hand tho, if you could show them that you can be responsible with it and only use it as needed or meant to be used for without harm to others then they might let you carry it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back