Votes: 0 0.0%

• I have never done a pre-order with you but I want to

Votes: 26 20.2%
  • I have never done a pre-order with you and I don't want to

Votes: 1 0.8%

• Total voters
I need to apologize to you all. I wasn’t as focused as I should have been when voting and selected the 1 when I meant to say that I’m very satisfied with the pre orders. I own and use a dozen of you knives, but only two of those I was able to get on a Friday sale. Without pre orders it’s almost impossible for me to get one of your excellent knives. Please keep it up.

I need to apologize to you all. I wasn’t as focused as I should have been when voting and selected the 1 when I meant to say that I’m very satisfied with the pre orders. I own and use a dozen of you knives, but only two of those I was able to get on a Friday sale. Without pre orders it’s almost impossible for me to get one of your excellent knives. Please keep it up.

It happens but FYI there's a Change Your Vote feature in this poll.

I'm pretty new to CPK.. I only have one lol. So far. Got my UF in a Friday sale on my first try. I love it. I need more. The quality and care put into its construction truly impressed me. Now, I typically buy high end knives to use. And I've beaten the snot out of the ones I have. I Have to save up for them for a bit however. But there is a catch in my opinion and experience to expensive pieces. Quality isnt cheap and often you cant simply go and buy another one from a site, store, etc if you randomly want or need another. That need may be you lose one, its stolen, or you might want to have several quality pieces standard across multiple rigs, go bags, packs, duty belts, etc. And backups. One is none and two is one lol. So, as a newby to CPK this is my perspective.. I like the Friday sales but they are quite difficult. You are not guaranteed a purchase or to be able to nab one at a reasonable price later. The dek1 is right up my alley for the type of knife I'm looking for currently. Now, There are other makers knives I'm going to buy that fit my needs and desires, ok mostly desires, regardless of me getting a dek1. Id buy them even if i had 3 deks. Knives are an addiction and I buy too many... Lol. I'm sure I'm not alone in that sentiment. However, I don't recall a maker I buy from that explains the what, how, and why with each of their products in the detail CPK does. Nathan does that. Id be willing to wait for a few quality pieces knowing I will actually get them instead of being left to pure chance of a sale or limited quantities never to be produced again, or like others that a new model may pop up out of the blue that i wasn't prepared for and cannot get on a whim. My gut says that Nathan would be honest with his customers if things got tough for his shop. My UF really did a number on my perspective of quality functional hardware. I'm down for presales and Friday sales.

^ I think that your sentiments are the cross section representation of what most of us "CPK'ers" feel ever since we found out about Nathan and his knives, along the journey which became CPK, the subforum and so on.

I would like to make a distinction in something which you had said because I feel that this is actually quite important:

While a pre-sale (presale) and a pre-order (preorder) are often used interchangeably and semantically, I must say that since there are actual differences, Nathan has never ever used the pre-sale as a marketing / sales tactic. Usually under a pre-sale scenario the customer/buyer is under the impression that ending up with the desired knife (for the sake of this post) is almost a guaranteed result before the said knife goes on sale to the general public, when there could be a chance that inventory runs out in a mad rush and then the anxious buyer ends up with ZILCH. Welp, I have personally participated in such crap staged by the likes of Knife Center and Spyderco's highly anticipated & sought after models. The end results were very displeasing for me to say the least and CPK does not peddle in and doesn't perpetuate crap like that!

What Nathan does against his own core beliefs, is to offer a limited number of pre-orders based on very popular demand which if not reasonably met could possibly lead to other negative issues. Since he is the actual manufacture, the pre-order system will allow him to gauge demand, purchase material and then roll the production along culminating in everyone who preordered a knife (knives) getting their orders fulfilled (typically within a 6 months window). I really felt that it was quite important to make this distinction between a generally practiced pre-sale and a CPK pre-order.

^ I think that your sentiments are the cross section representation of what most of us "CPK'ers" feel ever since we found out about Nathan and his knives, along the journey which became CPK, the subforum and so on.

I would like to make a distinction in something which you had said because I feel that this is actually quite important:

While a pre-sale (presale) and a pre-order (preorder) are often used interchangeably and semantically, I must say that since there are actual differences, Nathan has never ever used the pre-sale as a marketing / sales tactic. Usually under a pre-sale scenario the customer/buyer is under the impression that ending up with the desired knife (for the sake of this post) is almost a guaranteed result before the said knife goes on sale to the general public, when there could be a chance that inventory runs out in a mad rush and then the anxious buyer ends up with ZILCH. Welp, I have personally participated in such crap staged by the likes of Knife Center and Spyderco's highly anticipated & sought after models. The end results were very displeasing for me to say the least and CPK does not peddle in and doesn't perpetuate crap like that!

What Nathan does against his own core beliefs, is to offer a limited number of pre-orders based on very popular demand which if not reasonably met could possibly lead to other negative issues. Since he is the actual manufacture, the pre-order system will allow him to gauge demand, purchase material and then roll the production along culminating in everyone who preordered a knife (knives) getting their orders fulfilled (typically within a 6 months window). I really felt that it was quite important to make this distinction between a generally practiced pre-sale and a CPK pre-order.

That makes sense. My mistake with the terminology

As a potential customer, I'll be honest. I'm put-off by the Friday speed sales. It's a game I have no interest in. As CPK has no problem moving their knives, it seems to work well for them. Not so much for the customer I'm afraid.

I have no problem being patient. I have custom guitars I've waited over 3 years for, and a custom amp that took almost 2 years. (interestingly- it was finished when promised, to the day!) All required thousands upfront.

Why not give potential customers the option of waiting in an orderly queue? Make them pay in full upon ordering if it helps.

Last edited:
Back