Prices losing touch with reality?

So, I do not lament my decision to NOT buy knives that I consider "too expensive" because there are still more than enough knives in my buying "sweet spot" between $100-200 to choose from to worry about "missing out" on knives that cost more.

This is a key point. Spyderco is making more expensive knives. But they're making more inexpensive knives, too. They have one of the broadest ranges of price points of any knife company while still maintaining consistently good quality. This is important to me because Spyderco is becoming kind of a one-stop shop for folding knives to me- I can have relatively inexpensive $50 knives to gift to friends, $100-$200 users, and $300-$500 collector pieces that strike my fancy. All from the same company.

Anything over 200 is a grail for me currently, but I appreciate the wide array of quality options they have.

I cant believe i ate/read the whole thing! Lol
I agree with everyone who think Spyderco has a knife in a price range for everyones buying station in life.
Just like I will most likely never be able to afford a Porsche(my dream car) i will still be happy driving my old jeep.
My 97 Military is my most prized at $175 and that is my limit. I sleep good at night:D
Please everyone don’t lose sleep over that dream knife that’s out of reach. :thumbsup:

I cant believe i ate/read the whole thing! Lol
I agree with everyone who think Spyderco has a knife in a price range for everyones buying station in life.
Just like I will most likely never be able to afford a Porsche(my dream car) i will still be happy driving my old jeep.
My 97 Military is my most prized at $175 and that is my limit. I sleep good at night:D
Please everyone don’t lose sleep over that dream knife that’s out of reach. :thumbsup:
Wise words here. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

It's fine to make $500 knives and all. To have the Ferraris and Lamborghinis and Bentleys and whatnot of the knife world. Obviously.

But we're taking about Taiwanese production folders.

the whole production and on up knife market prices have jumped much higher in a short amount of time.

I'd guess due to things like..... inflation? materials costs? labor costs? transportation and distribution costs? insurance costs? other overhead? more demand to drive up supply prices? all of it and more, I'd imagine........is what it is.

i'm close to priced out of the nicer production stuff, cant afford it like I could before the prices went where they did. I'll live though, got more than i need already.

Messed up world, if 400 bucks is to much for a fine pocket knife that lasts a life time, you should probably search for a cheaper one on your 600$ phone (lifespan 2-3 years) lol...
You must not only be fixed on the materials used, there is also a thing called overhead cost.

I think that just as any industry the knife industry has some “price bubbles” that exist because of trends and hype.

I think that is can be a real issue for collectors but it is more than ever possible to find some affordable users.

But clearly nowadays prices have nothing to do anymore with materials quality and quantity.

How to compare a PM2 and a BM bugout in term of material while their costs are comparable?

Each of us can bring some examples je has in mind I am sure.

I think manufacturers charge us first for exclusiveness, then for functionality and last for material and manufacturing time... at least at the higher end of the production company.

What is fair is that in the same time they pay attention to offer us more utilitarian and affordable alternatives.

I would summarize the “price issue” by: “if you don’t need it you have to pay for it” :)

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/flipper-ghost-cpm-s90v.1635237/#post-18709663

So why does a production folder (Paysan) cost more than a custom like this? Because something is wrong in the "x+y" formula. Whether that's management of the business or otherwise, you've got custom makers *dunking* on Spyderco with these types of examples. If I were Spyderco I'd be straight embarrassed to say that's how much it costs for me to sell you a production piece with less finery and "prestige."

Messed up world, if 400 bucks is to much for a fine pocket knife that lasts a life time, you should probably search for a cheaper one on your 600$ phone (lifespan 2-3 years) lol...
You must not only be fixed on the materials used, there is also a thing called overhead cost.
Most people with 600 dollar phones use them a HELL of a lot more than a knife. My knife cuts the basic cardboard and tape and packages every week and thats it. Most of the time its for playing with. The biggest issue here is that there are tons of knives with comparable materials and fit and finish and whatever, at a much cheaper cost. The price tag just doesnt mesh with what the knife is.

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/flipper-ghost-cpm-s90v.1635237/#post-18709663

So why does a production folder (Paysan) cost more than a custom like this? Because something is wrong in the "x+y" formula. Whether that's management of the business or otherwise, you've got custom makers *dunking* on Spyderco with these types of examples. If I were Spyderco I'd be straight embarrassed to say that's how much it costs for me to sell you a production piece with less finery and "prestige."
That guy could be taking a loss on that knife while he’s trying to establish himself.
Plus the ability to mass produce comes at a cost.
How do you know who’s dunking on who until you’ve handled the other knife?
Assuming you have handled this custom.
Next to no overhead and little to no employees would sure help keep costs down.

I mean absolutely no offense, but that's almost exactly the opposite of what's supposed to happen. The entire point of mass production is to be more efficient than one person working alone. Certainly there are exceptions, but it's the reason mass production exists.

Business must be booming. A lot of customers making excuses. Keep buying guys. Let's keep dealers and Spyderco in business.

Soon, Amazon will be no more and Bento Box Shop is gonna sell books.

I mean absolutely no offense, but that's almost exactly the opposite of what's supposed to happen. The entire point of mass production is to be more efficient than one person working alone. Certainly there are exceptions, but it's the reason mass production exists.
Yes, you’re right.
If they were going to produce either model for more than a year or two, im sure the costs could be lower. They could spread the initial costs involved in producing a new model over 10 years instead of 1.
I’m certainly no manufacturing expert tho, I may be speaking out of line.

Hah, when truth is twisted so much that overseas "mass/factory production" is claimed to normally cost more than domestic artisan ware... You know you're doing something right. Raise the MAP some more, hey why not.

Hah, when truth is twisted so much that overseas "mass/factory production" is claimed to normally cost more than domestic artisan ware... You know you're doing something right. Raise the MAP some more, hey why not.
Pretty sure that other maker is Russian.
Who may be taking a loss or breaking even just to get his foot in the door/establish himself. Plus he was still charging $500.

And again, I’m no manufacturing expert.
I could be way off but I see it like this.
These halo/flagship models have a limited audience.
They may not be your cup of tea, nor mine for that matter.
If 1000 of these are produced ( just picking a number) I think a good percentage will be available at a reduced cost when they’re discontinued in 1-2 years. In order to remain a functioning business, spyderco has to make sure they get their investment back on this. I’m sure this has something to do with the high cost on the front end.
They are just pocket jewelry, gotta pay for the pretty stuff.

Back