Problem with the new BK-2 sheath!

Hey, I was wondering if anyone else is having this problem and also recommendations on how to fix the problem and what to do.
Ok the problem is that the blade is rubbing the bottom of the sheath to the point where i had to re-sharpen a two day old knife that was sharp when I first got it. So if anyone knows anything to do post a comment PLEASE!

i can't help, but i am curious if it is a first or second generation sheath. (yes, i know you said new, but wondering how new)

I think the problematic sheaths (at least the plastic ones - I have no experience with the nylon) are sort of the elephant in the room in regards to Becker knives... you pointed out the elephant and here I am nodding my head in agreement.

I had this issue with my 1st gen BK-2 sheath and now with my newly ordered BK-11. Simply put, the plastic sheath makes contact with the edge and wrecks them when sheathing/unsheathing the blade. Most don't notice it since they only keep their knives "user" sharp. However, I personally bring all my knives up to a polished, shave-capable finish (1000grit waterstone or sandpaper followed by a .3micron chrom oxide loaded strop). Even when I take extreme care pulling the knife with all the pressure on the spine so the edge shouldn't drag, the contact is enough that it always gets messed up. The mini-dings are pretty easy to spot when held up to the light and are bad enough to make the blades incapable of popping hairs. Given, the dings take all but two passes on the strop to fix but I still think this shouldn't be the case for such revered knives. I know most people either don't keep their knives sharp enough to notice the problem or choose to overlook it as a shaving edge isn't necessary for a hard use knife - buuuut it personally annoys the crud out of me due to my OCD (or Faux CD) when it comes to keeping my blades sharp. I mean... why should the knife lose performance (albeit an indiscernible amount) before even seeing any work? My Mora scout doesn't have this issue and it cost me all of $15.

Kind of annoyed to hear that this is also the case with the gen 2 BK-2 as I was going to pick one up thinking the new sheath addressed this problem...

Last edited:
I think the problematic sheaths (at least the plastic ones - I have no experience with the nylon) are sort of the elephant in the room in regards to Becker knives... you pointed out the elephant and here I am nodding my head in agreement.

I had this issue with my 1st gen BK-2 sheath and now with my newly ordered BK-11. Simply put, the plastic sheath makes contact with the edge and wrecks them when sheathing/unsheathing the blade. Most don't notice it since they only keep their knives "user" sharp. However, I personally bring all my knives up to a polished, shave-capable finish (1000grit waterstone or sandpaper followed by a .3micron chrom oxide loaded strop). Even when I take extreme care pulling the knife with all the pressure on the spine so the edge shouldn't drag, the contact is enough that it always gets messed up. The mini-dings are pretty easy to spot when held up to the light and are bad enough to make the blades incapable of popping hairs. Given, the dings take all but two passes on the strop to fix but I still think this shouldn't be the case for such revered knives. I know most people either don't keep their knives sharp enough to notice the problem or choose to overlook it as a shaving edge isn't necessary for a hard use knife - buuuut it personally annoys the crud out of me due to my OCD (or Faux CD) when it comes to keeping my blades sharp. I mean... why should the knife lose performance (albeit an indiscernible amount) before even seeing any work? My Mora scout doesn't have this issue and it cost me all of $15.

Kind of annoyed to hear that this is also the case with the gen 2 BK-2 as I was going to pick one up thinking the new sheath addressed this problem...

So basically theres nothing to do to fix it?

I noticed it all right it was'nt even a "user" sharp egde, it would'nt cut paper and rolled right off the paper.

well, if you convex your knives, and remove enough metal, soon, it won't be a problem? :)

Bladite

Why does the plastic sheath dull a knife appreciably?

So basically theres nothing to do to fix it?

Not that I'm aware of... That's why I was really looking forward to the gen 2 sheath - I was hoping they would address the problem.

well, if you convex your knives, and remove enough metal, soon, it won't be a problem? :)

Bladite

I've removed plenty of metal off my blade... I put a convex edge on it within a couple of weeks of getting it and I've been using it hard/sharpening it plenty for the past year. Still the problem persisted - I even tried putting a more angled convex micro-bevel on top of the convex edge to make it more stout.... issue still remained

P1010874.jpg

Why does the plastic sheath dull a knife appreciably?

I'm not entirely sure... as I said above, it still rolls the edge despite putting a fairly stout covex microbevel. I mean, it isn't enough of a roll that it loses a working edge - but it certainly rolls it enough to make it lose any hair popping capabilities unless it sees a quick pass on a strop after unsheathing.

Guys come on the price of the knives is so low that really I'm surprised there is a sheath included at all. I paid $60 for my BK2 tossed the sheath and had a custom leather one made exactly how I want. For what you are getting even if you toss the sheath and get a custom made you are still getting a deal. Even the old sheaths were at least functional enough to be used. I have bought custom knives that came with worse ones.

Hell I had a custom sheath made, had the knife rehandled in black micarta with stainless pins, had the finish bead blasted and thumb choils put on the back. Even with the cost of those the price is still wayyyyyyy below what a custom would cost me made to my specs.

To really expect superior sheaths at the price point they sell these knives at is unrealistic.

Guys come on the price of the knives is so low that really I'm surprised there is a sheath included at all. I paid $60 for my BK2 tossed the sheath and had a custom leather one made exactly how I want. For what you are getting even if you toss the sheath and get a custom made you are still getting a deal. Even the old sheaths were at least functional enough to be used. I have bought custom knives that came with worse ones.

Hell I had a custom sheath made, had the knife rehandled in black micarta with stainless pins, had the finish bead blasted and thumb choils put on the back. Even with the cost of those the price is still wayyyyyyy below what a custom would cost me made to my specs.

To really expect superior sheaths at the price point they sell these knives at is unrealistic.

And that's your opinion and you're completely entitled to it - as am I to mine, so please don't tell me that my expectations are unrealistic. Such a statement makes your opinion out to be fact, which it simply is not.

Do I like my Becker knives? You bet. Do I believe them to be great bang for the buck blades? Most definitely! But do I find the issue with the sheaths to be a nuisance? I think I've made that quite clear. Am I asking them to start making their sheaths "superior" - to move production of them to the USA, to start using kydex or to start supplying them with TDI and PAL clips? No - my gripe is simply about functionality. The fact that BK&T/Kabar chose to revise their sheath design without increasing the price shows that they saw issues that needed to be addressed... your argument is then contradictory to the opinion of the company that you're "defending."

What I am saying is that I believe they made superfluous changes in the revision and ended up overlooking a big, practicality issue. I do not believe it to be an over expectation that a sheath performs one of it's most important functions: that is, to protect the blade and it's edge! As I said prior, my $15 mora does not have the issue, and neither do any of my cheapo knives - so why should my (comparatively) more expensive beckers suffer from it? Just because you have the money to dish out on aftermarket solutions, it does not mean that the rest should expect to get less than what we've paid for...

Last edited:
Well I guess I will just echo what Bladite said in another sheath thread, if you don't like what you got, just consider it a cheap, fancy shipping container ;)

Sadly if you don't have the money to get what you want to begin with or make it what you want, chances are if the sheath was nicer and made in the USA the price of the knife would go up to the point you couldn't afford IT either.

You don't want to listen but at $60 there are gonna be compromises. Like every product made. Luckily KaBar doesn't compromise the blade itself. Lots of knives out there same price or cheaper that come with nicer sheaths but then the blade itself is crap.

Just some thoughts on sheaths.

No matter how hard a manufacturer tries to offer the perfect sheath, some people will dislike it. It could be a sheath that's worth way more than the price of the knife it holds, or a cheapo just meant to enclose the blade: doesn't matter.

Why is that? The manufacturer may think that they're offering the best sheath on the planet, yet some people complain. It's because the manufacturer is offering what they think is the best sheath possible: not everyone agrees though, because everyone has a different idea of what a good sheath should be.

Sheaths are, in many ways, pretty personal things, and people's requirements vary, too. What's a good sheath to one person may be junk to another, and vice versa: it's a pretty subjective thing, actually.

Some people love leather sheaths, and don't want anything else. I like leather myself: I like the look of it, and the smell when it's new. If my knives stayed home as objects de art, they'd have leather sheaths. My knives go to the field, though, and get the holy living stuff beat out of them (that's why I use Beckers, boys and girls), and the sheaths take the same abuse: I am not gentle.

Cordura sheaths? Great. They're fine, as long as they have a kydex insert — and they're configured just the way you want them. The problem is that there are almost infinite ways to make a Cordura sheath; the pouch configurations alone can vary enough to insure that not everyone will love any particular design.

Kydex? Actually, kydex is my favorite. It's impervious to almost everything, holds and protects the knife well, and can be setup just the way you like it. Take a look at the sheath on the BK-2, for instance. That thing has enough holes along the edges for a creative person to strap on more stuff than they want to carry, and still have holes left over. Get the pouches of your dreams, and strap them on: instant modification.

I think a manufacturer designs the best sheath they can for a given knife, and hopes for the best, knowing that it won't be perfect for everyone: I think they do the best they can, especially at the price point of Becker knives. Some of us will like them, some of us won't. If we like the provided sheath, then that's cool, and we don't give it much thought after that. If we don't like the sheath that comes with the knife, we're free to modify it or get another one that we do like.

As far as the Becker kydex sheaths dulling blades, I've never had that problem, and yes, I keep my knives shaving sharp (a man has to have a hobby, right?). I'm careful to draw my knife straight out, with the pressure on the spine, though. Maybe I just got good sheaths; maybe I'm just lucky; maybe the stars smile upon me: I don't know. There have been enough complaints about this though, that it must be a real problem for some, and I'd be interested in finding out why it happens, and how to fix it.

If I wanted a kydex sheath for a BK-7 or BK-9, I'd probably just contact Marion David Poff — one of the board members here who does Becker kydex — or one of the other makers, and git 'er done. Same with Cordura or leather.

Me? I like Becker sheaths. Maybe I spent too long in the Corps where we took what was issued, modified that to our liking, and used it. I'm kinda the same way about Becker sheaths: they work, and they work very well, which is all I ask of them.

Last edited:
I absolutley agree with Bob . I have collected and used Becker knives since the Blackjack days and still today they are by far the best quality for the money and still MADE in THE USA , but like all things they cant please everybody.(I wish they made the bk9 thicker like the old Camillus so I use a Camillus.otherwise Ka Bar is doing a great job and always thinking about value. If you like your knife and use it or carry it and dont like the sheath get one made lets face it if you pay $80 for a knife and if you pay another $40 or $60 for a sheath what can you buy for $140. sheaths are a personal thing ,I personaly will have leather made I dont like kydex for the long term use.I buy Becker Knives for the knives and as long as they make them as they do I will figure out a sheath.
If I buy a Busse I dont get a sheath just a cardboard sleeve and I have to get my own sheath, at least Ka Bar gives you something and if its not to your taste you can go get your own. as its said its a shipping carton.
Just a personal opinion.

Just some thoughts on sheaths.

No matter how hard a manufacturer tries to offer the perfect sheath, some people will dislike it. It could be a sheath that's worth way more than the price of the knife it holds, or a cheapo just meant to enclose the blade: doesn't matter.

Why is that? The manufacturer may think that they're offering the best sheath on the planet, yet some people complain. It's because the manufacturer is offering what they think is the best sheath possible: not everyone agrees though, because everyone has a different idea of what a good sheath should be.

Sheaths are, in many ways, pretty personal things, and people's requirements vary, too. What's a good sheath to one person may be junk to another, and vice versa: it's a pretty subjective thing, actually.

Some people love leather sheaths, and don't want anything else. I like leather myself: I like the look of it, and the smell when it's new. If my knives stayed home as objects de art, they'd have leather sheaths. My knives go to the field, though, and get the holy living stuff beat out of them (that's why I use Beckers, boys and girls), and the sheaths take the same abuse: I am not gentle.

Cordura sheaths? Great. They're fine, as long as they have a kydex insert — and they're configured just the way you want them. The problem is that there are almost infinite ways to make a Cordura sheath; the pouch configurations alone can vary enough to insure that not everyone will love any particular design.

Kydex? Actually, kydex is my favorite. It's impervious to almost everything, holds and protects the knife well, and can be setup just the way you like it. Take a look at the sheath on the BK-2, for instance. That thing has enough holes along the edges for a creative person to strap on more stuff than they want to carry, and still have holes left over. Get the pouches of your dreams, and strap them on: instant modification.

I think a manufacturer designs the best sheath they can for a given knife, and hopes for the best, knowing that it won't be perfect for everyone: I think they do the best they can, especially at the price point of Becker knives. Some of us will like them, some of us won't. If we like the provided sheath, then that's cool, and we don't give it much thought after that. If we don't like the sheath that comes with the knife, we're free to modify it or get another one that we do like.

As far as the Becker kydex sheaths dulling blades, I've never had that problem, and yes, I keep my knives shaving sharp (a man has to have a hobby, right?). I'm careful to draw my knife straight out, with the pressure on the spine, though. Maybe I just got good sheaths; maybe I'm just lucky; maybe the stars smile upon me: I don't know. There have been enough complaints about this though, that it must be a real problem for some, and I'd be interested in finding out why it happens, and how to fix it.

If I wanted a kydex sheath for a BK-7 or BK-9, I'd probably just contact Marion David Poff — one of the board members here who does Becker kydex — or one of the other makers, and git 'er done. Same with Cordura or leather.

Me? I like Becker sheaths. Maybe I spent too long in the Corps where we took what was issued, modified that to our liking, and used it. I'm kinda the same way about Becker sheaths: they work, and they work very well, which is all I ask of them.

Last edited:
well i know where to buy premade costom pastic sheaths from chestnut ridge knife shop online for a good price, so that may be an option.

if you are willing to wait a little while Paul at Hedgehog Leatherworks is designing an awesome sheath for the BK2 as we speak. If it ends up anything like his other sheaths it will be everything you need in a sheath. the only problem is they are a little pricey. Hope that helps.

Back