Problem with the new BK-2 sheath!

Going out on a limb here. You can make your own for material cost. Lots of times gun/knife shops/shows have random sheath bins. There is spec ops perhaps, or if the sheath is kydex you can heat it yourself and let it out.

All options are better uses of your energy than continuing your worries about edge retention.

Pittrules,

I have been following this post and thread for a bit. Sorry for a delayed answer. I've been busy at shows.
I have inspected a large number of the new sheaths and BK-2s and also had detailed talks with our sheath contractor at Blade Show.

I truly believe that there is sufficent room between the edge of the blade and the front inside edge of the sheath. Please insert your BK-2 into the sheath as far as it can go before snapping into the locked postion. Now take a flashlight and shine it into the opening. You will find sufficient lateral space between the blade edge and the sheath side.
If you do not have that space, please send the knife and sheath back to me and I will replace.

There are of course variations in both blade edge width and the sheath opening due to plastic shrink but I believe there is suffiecient room designed into the sheath to compensate for any interference fit.

Travinc: You may find plastic shaving in the sheath as we inspect and trim the edges and pockets of all of the sheaths to assure fit and that there are no sharp edges to cut your hand. This is what you are seeing , not an interference fit.

Again, if you truly have an issue with the knife and sheath, please send it back to me and we will take care of the issue.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
Sr Eng
Prod Dev and Qual
KA-BAR Knives

Last edited:
I have been pleased with the new sheath. I think it is a huge improvement. Kydex and plastic are far less abrassion resistant than many woods out there. IMO if the edge is being damaged touching the plastic, it may be too thin. I put a zero degree convex edge from the primary grind down, fon my 1st gen BK2, and have had zero damage. After the regrind, my 1st gen BK2 does not rub at all going into the new BK2 sheath. I think the 1095 crovan laughs at plastic. IMNSHO. :D
IMG_5418.jpg

Okay, here’s the big question for the morning: how many other manufacturer’s have a senior engineer coming on a site to answer questions, and tell you that if it’s not right, send it back, and we’ll fix or replace it? Not only the blade itself, but things like the sheath, too?

Not many.

What this tells me is that KA-BAR really, really cares about the products they manufacture, and the customers who buy them: they want things right, and they want you to be satisfied.

That’s customer service, in my book.

You don’t have to beg, plead, jump through hoops, or slit your wrists. If it’s not right, KA-BAR will try to make it right.

I like that.

Last edited:
I stilll think Kabar should produce a leather sheath, like the one they offer for the USMC, for the Becker knives.

Okay, here’s the big question for the morning: how many other manufacturer’s have a senior engineer coming on a site to answer questions, and tell you that if it’s not right, send it back, and we’ll fix or repair it? Not only the blade itself, but things like the sheath, too?

Not many.

What this tells me is that KA-BAR really, really cares about the products they manufacture, and the customers who buy them: they want things right, and they want you to be satisfied.

That’s customer service, in my book.

You don’t have to beg, plead, jump through hoops, or slit your wrists. If it’s not right, KA-BAR will try to make it right.

I like that.

As I stated in another thread, and Paul, I hope you pop back in here and read this. It is KA-BAR's customer service in general, and you specifically that has created a die hard KA-BAR customer.

The Crovan steel is super hard, I forgot this and should have posted it earlier the knifemaker who put the thumb jimping on my BK2 had a tuff time here's a copy of his email:

Chris,

I'm finishing up your Bk-2 today. I was able to get the thumb serrations on there but not with a file. A file wouldn't even scratch it. I ended up having to use a carbide endmill in my milling machine and plunge them on. That just about used up one eigth inch endmill to do because the blade was so hard, but we got it done.

Lamont

So endmill bits have a tough time but plastic is dulling it? I gotta say sounds like a too thin of an edge thing to me for sure.

Pittrules,

I have been following this post and thread for a bit. Sorry for a delayed answer. I've been busy at shows.
I have inspected a large number of the new sheaths and BK-2s and also had detailed talks with our sheath contractor at Blade Show.

I truly believe that there is sufficent room between the edge of the blade and the front inside edge of the sheath. Please insert your BK-2 into the sheath as far as it can go before snapping into the locked postion. Now take a flashlight and shine it into the opening. You will find sufficient lateral space between the blade edge and the sheath side.
If you do not have that space, please send the knife and sheath back to me and I will replace.

There are of course variations in both blade edge width and the sheath opening due to plastic shrink but I believe there is suffiecient room designed into the sheath to compensate for any interference fit.

Travinc: You may find plastic shaving in the sheath as we inspect and trim the edges and pockets of all of the sheaths to assure fit and that there are no sharp edges to cut your hand. This is what you are seeing , not an interference fit.

Again, if you truly have an issue with the knife and sheath, please send it back to me and we will take care of the issue.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
Sr Eng
Prod Dev and Qual
KA-BAR Knives

Paul thank you for telling me this and should I just follow the info on kabars website for returns or do I have to do something else to make sure my knife gets to you?
-PittRules

Pittrules,

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
Sr Eng
Prod Dev and Qual
KA-BAR Knives

That's pretty dang cool.

Pittrules,

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
Sr Eng
Prod Dev and Qual
KA-BAR Knives

I agree with what everyone else has said about Ka-Bar. I can only think of a few knife companies that would go to such lengths to fix a problem and help the customer. I am consistently impressed with them.

Yes what Paul is offering to do is very amazing and I am very impressed with Kabars customer service and it makes me very proud to own knives from the company.

Pittrules,

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
Sr Eng
Prod Dev and Qual
KA-BAR Knives

Thanks for chiming in Toooj, as I stated I'm really happy with the sheath, thanks for the shavings explanation and thankyou for such wonderful customer service :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Pittrules,

Please send your knife and sheath to:

KA-BAR Knives
200 Homer Street
Olean, NY
ATTN: Paul Tsujimoto

Please include a written note of your problem and your return address. I will inspect the knife/sheath for your issue and check to see it they are to specification.
To be fair; If everything meets our specs and we find nothing wrong, we will return the original knife/sheath to you.

Does this sound fair?

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
Sr Eng
Prod Dev and Qual
KA-BAR Knives

Pittrules,

Please send your knife and sheath to:

KA-BAR Knives
200 Homer Street
Olean, NY
ATTN: Paul Tsujimoto

Please include a written note of your problem and your return address. I will inspect the knife/sheath for your issue and check to see it they are to specification.
To be fair; If everything meets our specs and we find nothing wrong, we will return the original knife/sheath to you.

Does this sound fair?

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
Sr Eng
Prod Dev and Qual
KA-BAR Knives

Yes it sounds fair to me and thank you very much. Also What would happen if the knife meets the specs and what would I be able to do then since my knife is dull right now after I sharpened it? Last, I tried the thing where the knife was out of the sheath just before you shap it in and then I took a flashlight and looked in and from what I could see the only part of the blade that was not touching with the very end of the knife(end near the handle) and the only reason that part was not touching was because thats where the sheath dips down to fit the handle. So thanks for telling me to do that, it showed me for sure that the knife was rubbing.

Thank-you so much again Paul and I will have it shipped out as soon as I get a box. When I ship the knife should I ship the knife without the original box?(the box the knife comes in not the shipping box from the retailer)
-Pittrules

Pittrules,

If it is the way you descibe, I'll exchange a new sheath for your bad one. In any event we will make sure your problem is taken care of.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
Sr Eng
Prod Dev and Qual
KA-BAR Knives

Pittrules,

If it is the way you descibe, I'll exchange a new sheath for your bad one. In any event we will make sure your problem is taken care of.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
Sr Eng
Prod Dev and Qual
KA-BAR Knives

Paul,

Last question should I send the knife with or without the original box it came in?

Pittrules,

Don't worry about the original box. However, make sure the edge and point of the knife are covered so it won't bite any one or cut through the wrapping/package.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto

Sr Eng.
Prod Dev and Qual
KA-BAR Knives

Pittrules,

Don't worry about the original box. However, make sure the edge and point of the knife are covered so it won't bite any one or cut through the wrapping/package.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto

Sr Eng.
Prod Dev and Qual
KA-BAR Knives

I will just ship it inside its sheath so theres no chance it will cut anyone. Are you just replacing the sheath and sending me a new sheath with the same knife? If you are I may need my knife to be sharpened because its pretty Dull.

Back