Progress Thread - The Redmeadow Bowies

Ok, where were we.
Getting things vinegarooned, I'm gonna apply some dark brown dye over this to see if we can get a salty look.
IMG_20171026_230649179-1024x1820.jpg

While it's still wet from neutralizing the vinegaroon and rinsing it, I went ahead and dyed the center brown. You can kind of see the contrast of the brown and black in the picture. I also go over the stitch holes again with a chisel to clean up my rows. Then everything will be set for a clean stitch line after it dries.
IMG_20171027_003906882_HDR-1024x1820.jpg

Looking forward to this, went with a black retention stud (not attached yet, justocking things up), couldn't do Brass or Nickel Silver. Bronze gets a unique patina that doesn't play well with others in my opinion. You can make out the section of the sheath that will be brown, looking forward to how that comes out.
IMG_20171027_011328420-1024x1820.jpg

These things are no brainers, punch a hole and tap them together, but you only get one chance at it
IMG_20171030_183758-1024x1822.jpg

Pfffft. If it was a no brainer then I could do it.

Easy peasy.

Pigskin lining is attached, not sure if i've ever mentioned it:rolleyes:, but I freaking hate pigskin!

Edit to add:. Yup, no brainers to attach, just gotta attach them in the right spot, unlike what I just did......annnnnd that was the only black one I had, ordering more. I'm so @$&#@*! happy right now.

Last edited:
Pigskin will be trimmed from the edge after things are stitched. Retention strap is attached, the welt, and a wedge to balance out the strap. Sam Brown Button is attached. Next is gluing the two sides together, sticthing everything, dressing the stitch line, and burnishing. I'll try to keep up on posting pics of the process.
IMG_20171102_171537.jpg

That is one freaking gorgeous Boowee.
It should be on the cover of the annual Bowie Knife collectors magazine.

What exactly are the specs on these again?

Exact?:eek: I'll get one of them measurin stick thingys on them when I get a chance. But here's the rough numbers. I'll get some more pictures up. I been running around with one on each hip and I feel like I'm in a John Ford western:D

7" Tip to guard
12" Overall
.17" 52100
Peened tang

Back