~Project Complete!~ I'm making friction folders! What blade steels do you want to see in them?

Which blade steel would you most like to see in a 3" bladed EDC friction folder?

• Total voters
I am liking how recessed they are myself I kinda hate when I can feel the heads on the screws.

Me too!!! I love the look. The recessing is a really nice touch.

IkVb.gif

So, a lot has happened in these last few months...

I've fully switched the hardware from two-piece Phillips and slot screws, to Torx screws and bushings to join them, and two T15 hex keys will be provided with each knife for easy adjustment.

I've also made the decision to switch to buying steel that is precision ground rather than attempting to surface non precision stock down myself, as that saves considerable time and material costs given the equipment I have access to. It wasn't a change I took lightly, as this obviously increased the price of the blade stock, but this also means that while I'm now looking at a final price of $130 - $135 USD, I'll be able to offer the knife in either CPM S35VN or CPM 20CV, as there is little difference in cost between the two steels, and the heat-treatment for them requires similar levels of effort.

The tradeoffs between the two steels are my reasons for offering both; ease of sharpening + toughness vs better edge holding... Everything is relative.

That said, here are are some pictures of the changes. I've been playing with the heat treat protocols for 20CV as I've not used it before, but once that is finalized I'll have some ready for sale. Also note that the blade finish here is NOT final, this is simply a prototype blade that I've been experimenting with.

GlZUiat.jpg

9rwWEBI.jpg

I'm interested... cv20 sounds nice.
Will you have a lock integrated into this?

What color(s) are you thinking you will be offering the handles in and what material(s)?
Black G10 initially, but I'll more than likely have other colour options available soon.

I'm interested... cv20 sounds nice.
Will you have a lock integrated into this?

Since this design in particular is a friction folder there is no locking mechanism, optional or otherwise.

Will you be able to do pocket clips?
I'm looking at making pocket clips further down the line, but the clipless version will be available first.

Look, this is as handsome as it gets ! A mirror polished finish of the blade would be nice, though. You know, pocket knife, cutting all kinds of things all day long... Mirror is way easier to keep clean. Still not sure why the stop pin (bolt) would need the same heft as the pivot...

Look, this is as handsome as it gets ! A mirror polished finish of the blade would be nice, though. You know, pocket knife, cutting all kinds of things all day long... Mirror is way easier to keep clean. Still not sure why the stop pin (bolt) would need the same heft as the pivot...
A mirror polish would be fun for sure, but I'm trying to keep these as affordable as possible. Through my testing so far, the finish I've been working with has been very easy to keep clean!

The stop bolt is the same size as the pivot and spacer to keep my machining simple and my parts cost low. Plus, I like to keep all the tooling to adjust the knife the same size when possible.

At last, I feel that the design and execution are good to go! I have dialed in a heat treatment protocol for 20CV that I am happy with, in addition to the S35VN I've used previously. I'm only waiting on new materials for the first non-prototype batch and packaging to ship the completed knives out in, which hopefully should all arrive in the next two weeks or so.

I want to be very clear that this is not a sales thread or for preorders, I just want to make those interested aware; below are the options I'm going to have available for the first run.

Blade steel;
  1. CPM 20CV
  2. CPM S35VN
G10 handle options;
  1. Black
  2. Red
  3. Blue
  4. Olive Drab

Each knife will have the option to ship with two T15 Torx keys to adjust each set of screws to your own liking (no extra charge of course), although the knife will come adjusted with some medium strength loctite.

As the exchange rate and material prices fluctuate the final price will be adjusted when necessary, but for existing BF members only, this first run will still be at the $135 USD I said it would be before, plus shipping.

Thanks for all the interest so far! Here is a picture of the latest prototype in 20CV.

Mbn28Or.jpg

What are the dimensions on this knife? For those interested in purchasing when the time comes do you have examples of the handle material that will be available?

What are the dimensions on this knife? For those interested in purchasing when the time comes do you have examples of the handle material that will be available?
The blade is 3" long with a 2.7" cutting edge, 1/8" stock thickness. Handle is 4.3" long and 0.63" thick.

I don't have the G10 in hand yet but I'll upload a picture of the colours all together when the stock arrives!

Thanks so much to all those following this; the friction folders are now available to order! I've got OD green, black, and blue handles ready to go, with red available soon.

The ones pictured below here are already spoken for, although I'll have three more 20CV blades available by the end of today (Or at least, as soon as my packaging arrives! Shouldn't be longer than a day or three).

As I complete new, unclaimed knives, I'll put them up for sale in the appropriate subforums. Thanks so much, once again.

Yne5lDW.jpg

Last edited:
So after not paying attention to this thread for 2 years, I did not expect to come back to this! They look amazing! Great job!
Haha, thanks very much!

They do look great very tempting and I am hoping to see some examples of the red soon. I know for me I would probably prefer the 20CV to S35VN but both will make for a great knife.

I have just received mine ! It's an awesome modern rendition of an ages old classic. Very cleanly finished and the whole geometry (lever, pivot / stop, position open / closed) is spot on. I love it !

I have just received mine ! It's an awesome modern rendition of an ages old classic. Very cleanly finished and the whole geometry (lever, pivot / stop, position open / closed) is spot on. I love it !
Watched this thread for the first year, came back every so often and now see that these are ready, how does one go about getting one of these beauties?

Back