Proof delica is a boss

Unless you have bear mitts you can rest your finger there just fine. I personally feel that a finger choil on a small knife is a useless abomination. If they end up with a finger choil, I’ll stop buying them.

Thanks op for the story now go get a sprint run and do up some elks!:D

A 50/50 choil like he referred to uses the ricasso portion of the blade and the top part of the handle to create a landing for the index finger. The measurements are already there on the Delica for one, the design just needs some tweaking to make it work. There's no loss in blade length or cutting edge. See my photos above.

To choil or not to choil? The choil is available on the Native in a similar sized knife so buy that if you like the choil (as I do!). You get the added benefit of less width in the pocket.

Lol you noticed it! Just got bored one night and this delica is my super beater so I gave a shot at a tip mod. It’s thicker and stronger tip.

Awesome!
I m sure that preempts any tip breakage ;-)
This reminds me of the vintage sog knives jet edge.
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/2-older-sog-seki-knives-j48-jet-edge-2-in-scales-in-cf.1160834/

The ground off blade point was termed
as a "shark tooth" tip; which according to their literature...
"...the SOG JetEdge Knife showcases ... a "shark tooth tip" which generates exceptional point strength....".
Don't figure it was a model that was
ever particularly popular which folks
back then;
perhaps on the account of its snapped off tip :)
Strangely enough, Warren Osborne's collaboration with benchmade knives
became all the rage...
I guess i was kinda surprised to see a delica
mod going osborne ;-)

It’s a pretty common mod to see on a delica, there’s even a knife shop that sells them em with the mod

Awesome!
I m sure that preempts any tip breakage ;-)
This reminds me of the vintage sog knives jet edge.
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/2-older-sog-seki-knives-j48-jet-edge-2-in-scales-in-cf.1160834/

The ground off blade point was termed
as a "shark tooth" tip; which according to their literature...
"...the SOG JetEdge Knife showcases ... a "shark tooth tip" which generates exceptional point strength....".
Don't figure it was a model that was
ever particularly popular which folks
back then;
perhaps on the account of its snapped off tip :)
Strangely enough, Warren Osborne's collaboration with benchmade knives
became all the rage...
I guess i was kinda surprised to see a delica
mod going osborne ;-)
Hey, Fender pre-beats on Stratocasters and charges lots of dollars for the service. Why not a knife with pre-broken tip?

Broken tips must have been a common sight
at repairs and warranty
far enough for one company
to figure a calculated design solution
:)

It’s a pretty common mod to see on a delica, there’s even a knife shop that sells them em with the mod

Broken tips must have been a common sight
at repairs and warranty
far enough for one company
to figure a calculated design solution
:)

Spyderco and Mike Janich offers a modded Delica tip to make it legal carry in most place.
Also see post #21.
https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details/C11KAKH/941
I suspect some bob the tip of the Delica because it makes the blade look rakish.

Well ii never...Snub nose huh?!
Makes you wonder if those blades
are refurbished from factory seconds
and/or warranty returns...
Or ground off at the tip brand new ;-)
Some mods just have to be seen
to believe...

Aaah see it!
its about refurbishing an existing blade
into something of a micheal janich's fighting modified Wharncliffe-shape blade.
Guess that's one way to give second life
to a whole lotta unloved folders.with already
ruined original tip forms :)

Last edited:
Aaah see it!
its about refurbishing an existing blade
into something of a micheal janich's fighting modified Wharncliffe-shape blade.
Guess that's one way to give second life
to a whole lotta unloved folders.with already
ruined original tip forms :)
A refurb implies a used blade. I believe Spyderco makes the Kahr from factory new blades.
I don't know where you get the refurb part from.
The ones I mod myself are new (or new-ish) blades. All with undamaged tips. Were I to buy a factory fresh Delica tomorrow a bobbed tip would be first on the agenda prior to using the knife.
I just like the bobbed point better.

It doesn’t take much knife to process either rabbits or squirrels but the Delica is great for it. I have processed dozens and dozens of squirrels with my safety orange VG10 Delica4.

dInzbL1.jpg

Unless you have bear mitts you can rest your finger there just fine. I personally feel that a finger choil on a small knife is a useless abomination. If they end up with a finger choil, I’ll stop buying them.

Thanks op for the story now go get a sprint run and do up some elks!:D
But as shown in the pictures above they can add it without taking anything away (that I can see) from the current design. What are you missing from the current design in the scales pictured? I'm curious.

I absolutely love the Delica and think it is a hall of famer. Unquestionably an all-time great EDC knife. But I agree with those who want a 50-50 choil. That is probably my only nitpick about the Delica. A choil like on the Dragonfly would be amazing. The thing is, the space is already there. It would only require a slight rework.

Back