Proof delica is a boss

RRs1m0R.jpg

This wharnie shaped one took the Delica to the stratosphere for me! I've since put the original scales back on to save weight

Ditto. I bought 'Wise Men Company' scales for my green Zome Delica but had gotten so accustomed to the light weight of the original that I put the factory original scales back on.
Apart from bobbing the tip there is no need to mess with the Delica IMO/for my use. Not that you would chop off the tip of a wharnie of course.

Last edited:
Delica was my first “modern” knife in the mid 90s. I really like the ffg 4 and probabaly need to try the wharncliffe.

A quick question for Delica fans. I have a few Spyderco models, but don't have a Delica yet. I do have a Byrd Meadowlark 2. Is it worth the upgrade to a Delica? I'm a light user so the steel isn't a deal breaker. Or should I spend a bit more and get a Para 3 lightweight?

I find the meadowlark to be a crappy knife without thinning out the edges. It's very strange as the Cara Cara is an excellent slicer. I've had two meadowlarks and hated them both as they felt really cheap. The delica and endura are off knives in that their handles seem to fit everyone's hands pretty good. A lot like the milli. I personally have never found the para handles to be comfortable.

A quick question for Delica fans. I have a few Spyderco models, but don't have a Delica yet. I do have a Byrd Meadowlark 2. Is it worth the upgrade to a Delica? I'm a light user so the steel isn't a deal breaker. Or should I spend a bit more and get a Para 3 lightweight?
Never had a Medowlark nor PM3. Do have Delicas, Endura and several PM2s.
Short answer; there is NO way you can go wrong with the Delica. It's a great little knife.
Buy one - you won't regret it. Even if you do regret buying a Delica you can just pick one up from the sales forum here and sell it again for what you paid. It'll be gone in a flash.

Yet, all I see is a rat ass ugly knife with plastic handles, meh steel and a spyderco price tax.

It's funny how everything becomes subjective when it to comes to manchild defending their favourite toy.

Go take a walk, you sound way more butthurt than you should.
Ugly is, in fact, subjective, smart guy. You still have yet to actually refute my initial point. My first statement was about how the knife, from what I’ve seen, rarely catches “flak”. That’s not a defense of anything; it’s observational. The best part about this entire exchange is that you’re accusing me of being a “butthurt manchild” (the irony of ironies is that I rarely see adults use the word “butthurt”), yet you’re the one who felt the need to include your completely tangential opinion on a knife.

Let’s trace your faulty reasoning: Person A states that the knife receives flak. Person B states that they don’t see the knife take flak regularly. Person C responds to Person B by stating that “it’s easy to see why it takes flak”. Your reply was completely off base as I never stated it was impossible to give the Delica flak; simply that I don’t ever see it happen.

Finally, if it’s so easy to see why people dislike it, why do the majority of people involved in the hobby appreciate the knife?

If you’re going to reply incredulously, you should prepare for an in-kind retort. Also, if you’re going to say subjective things and get angry when someone calls them subjective, I suggest you leave the Internet all together. Save us the effort of having to read/scroll past your nonsense.

A Delica was on The Short List of candidates for my last knife purchase. I may have to pick one up, after all.

Always wanted to try Delica.
But I got Chaparral FRN recently on an impulse and absolutely love it.
Is it still worthwhile to try Delica?
ZDP-189 option does look attractive.

Always wanted to try Delica.
But I got Chaparral FRN recently on an impulse and absolutely love it.
Is it still worthwhile to try Delica?
ZDP-189 option does look attractive.

Short answer; there is NO way you can go wrong with the Delica. It's a great little knife.
Buy one - you won't regret it. Even if you do regret buying a Delica you can just pick one up from the sales forum here and sell it again for what you paid. It'll be gone in a flash.

I love my delicas. I dont have my emerson wave one anymore though. Gifted it to my little brother when he got deployed to Guam for the navy. He bought me a Pacific Salt in return. He said my Endura was lonely haha. Super blue steel is probably my favorite out of all the others I have as well. It takes a ridiculously sharp edge and very easily I might add. I just wish they would have forged the steels together in such a way that it looked like a hamon. If you're curious about my clip, thats what happens when you work in a machine shop, break your clip, and fashion a deep carry out of a bandsaw blade. The spyderco clip shown is from my Endura for reference. I had a satin clip on the delica. I stripped the paint off and handrubbed it like the homemade one. It looked awesome.
20190528_175443_zpsqwxs9dxg.jpg

IMG_20181218_195434_014_zpse1ks9iwo.jpg

DSCN1077_zps5d530d0d.jpg

I've been into one-hand opening, clip-carry knives since 1997, and my first Spyderco was a Delica. I'm not a knife collector (and have never bought any special releases/sprint runs), but I own more Delicas/versions of it than any other OHO knife design.

Jim

I'm not a Spyderco guy at all.

But I keep buying models, because I know they are quality products and at some point I might find one that works for me.

I think the Delica is one of the finest pound-for-pound EDC knife options on this planet.

I don't have one any more, and likely will never buy another, but that's still how I see it.

The Delica was my first "good" knife. It's what got me started collecting. It is nowhere near the cost or quality of most of the knives I purchased after it, in my opinion, but it's a great knife and was an entry into the hobby for me. I still have it, and occasionally use it.

But as shown in the pictures above they can add it without taking anything away (that I can see) from the current design. What are you missing from the current design in the scales pictured? I'm curious.
Sorry it took so long to answer.

As for mods to the handle to make a choil like in the pic, why? Not sure what the point is as I personally don’t have a problem with the handle as designed.

As for choils in general; they tend to be designed with a round cut out or worse, they have jimping. This causes material to snag. The delica has a flat and smooth ramp. Any material that hits that will just slide off onto the blade and get cut. That doesn’t work with most choils. Especially ones with jimping. I guess if you always have a finger there it’s fine but I see choils and jimping to be added features to try and fix an otherwise poorly designed knife. A good knife should be comfy and secure in all grips to include choking up but if the primary cutting hold moves your hand off the hand-le, it’s a bad design IMO.

The only place I see choils as worthwhile is on large blades so that you can neutralize the weight of a blade heavy knife for finer cutting tasks to reduce wrist fatigue. I see no point to them on small knives.

Plastic handles, ugly, no sharpening choil, no flick action, decent steel at best, overpriced...

It's not hard to see why some doesn't like it.
Spyderco’s FRN is better than most handle materials out there. I prefer it to my pakkawood version. Lightweight, durable and grippy.

I think the delica is better looking than most knives. Sebenzas are ugly.

Sharpening choils catch on material and there’s no functional reason for them. They are one of the DUMBEST features on knives. :confused:

Flicking is dumb.

I’m not the biggest fan of vg10 myself. That’s why mine are both hap40. Are you saying hap40 is “decent at best”? LOL

Overpriced? Not to me. My hap40 delicas were a bargain. I would have paid more for them.

Really, it sounds like knives are just toys or man jewelry to you. That’s cool but I use mine. Every point you made is laughable from the perspective of someone who sees knives as tools. In fact some of what you want gets in the way of using the knife AS a knife.

Delica is hard to beat, great slicing knife. It's not a tactical prybar it was made for cutting stuff. Custom scales on my regular Delica and on my Wharncliffe model. The FRN scales are just a good but maybe not as pretty. Pretty does not cut.

Sorry it took so long to answer.

As for mods to the handle to make a choil like in the pic, why? Not sure what the point is as I personally don’t have a problem with the handle as designed.

As for choils in general; they tend to be designed with a round cut out or worse, they have jimping. This causes material to snag. The delica has a flat and smooth ramp. Any material that hits that will just slide off onto the blade and get cut. That doesn’t work with most choils. Especially ones with jimping. I guess if you always have a finger there it’s fine but I see choils and jimping to be added features to try and fix an otherwise poorly designed knife. A good knife should be comfy and secure in all grips to include choking up but if the primary cutting hold moves your hand off the hand-le, it’s a bad design IMO.

The only place I see choils as worthwhile is on large blades so that you can neutralize the weight of a blade heavy knife for finer cutting tasks to reduce wrist fatigue. I see no point to them on small knives.

Fair enough. We all use our knives in different ways. I strip a lot of cable with mine at work (soft copper inside) so having a finger choil is a huge advantage in that arena. I like knives to either have a choil or minimal space between the top of the handle and the bottom of the edge. The Mantra, Tenacious and Caribbean are good recent examples from Spyderco. That little gap on the Delica and Endura always bothered me in that way and figured a well thought out 50/50 choil could please both crowds. I'll even give ya back the jimping. Don't need it in the choil. How's that? ha

Thanks for the replies earlier in the thread. I think I'm going to pick a Delica up. Just have to choose a handle color now. I'm leaning towards the grey because it's less seen. But the light blue and green are nice too. Probably best price will decide it.

Thanks for the replies earlier in the thread. I think I'm going to pick a Delica up. Just have to choose a handle color now. I'm leaning towards the grey because it's less seen. But the light blue and green are nice too. Probably best price will decide it.
You should get a blue FRN M390 ;) FTW

Back