Proof delica is a boss

It doesn’t take much knife to process either rabbits or squirrels but the Delica is great for it. I have processed dozens and dozens of squirrels with my safety orange VG10 Delica4.

dInzbL1.jpg
Agreed however i push cut straight through all 4 leg bones and the neck and spine with no edge damage which I thought was impressive.

Agreed however i push cut straight through all 4 leg bones and the neck and spine with no edge damage which I thought was impressive.

The Delica is indeed an impressive yet unassuming knife and VG10 is still a great steel. It is definitely a durable steel.

it's funny, my delica was my first 'modern' knife outside of some much older bucks - but that is like 20 years ago...
for years after that, my delica and 112 were on duelling edc runs... knife bug still had not hit me back then, they were just useful tools

so... should we be blaming sal for this sickness? mine didn't kick in for years after the delica, so I can't honestly say the delica was the trigger

(... but in a small way it was, since it got me thinking on occasion how other modern folders might evolve... I was impressed with their frn grip back then, and I still don't really like the aesthetics overall, I carried it despite the looks, which says a lot about the good points: lightweight / utility / practicality)

Last edited:
I was never a big fan of my VG 10 Delica but to each there own. I mainly didn't like the handle but overall it's an awesome knife.

I finally found the scales in a knife I bought on the forum to finish my perfect Delica. I like the wave opener, but I wanted something a little more ergonomic and grippy. I found these micarta scales with a choil mod and added my wave blade. Now it is perfect.

I have never seen the Delica take “flak”. The knife is ubiquitous. I would wager that 90% of knife guys started out with a Delica or a Mini Grip. I love the Delica.

Plastic handles, ugly, no sharpening choil, no flick action, decent steel at best, overpriced...

It's not hard to see why some doesn't like it.

Plastic handles, ugly, no sharpening choil, no flick action, decent steel at best, overpriced...

Keep trolling. You can get a Delica for around 70$. Comparable knives from major companies don’t come with nearly the pedigree of the Delica. It being “ugly” is entirely subjective. No flick action? How is this a reasonable complaint? Is controlled opening just so difficult for you? Very few Spydercos have sharpening choils. Your complaints are laughable, honestly, and they fly in the face of practicality. Almost everything you said is completely unimportant when it comes to usability. Lastly, you still have done absolutely nothing to combat the point I made: the Delica receives very little flak and is ubiquitous in a huge portion of the hobby’s carry lineup.

Keep trolling. You can get a Delica for around 70$. Comparable knives from major companies don’t come with nearly the pedigree of the Delica. It being “ugly” is entirely subjective. No flick action? How is this a reasonable complaint? Is controlled opening just so difficult for you? Very few Spydercos have sharpening choils. Your complaints are laughable, honestly, and they fly in the face of practicality. Almost everything you said is completely unimportant when it comes to usability. Lastly, you still have done absolutely nothing to combat the point I made: the Delica receives very little flak and is ubiquitous in a huge portion of the hobby’s carry lineup.

Yet, all I see is a rat ass ugly knife with plastic handles, meh steel and a spyderco price tax.

It's funny how everything becomes subjective when it to comes to manchild defending their favourite toy.

Go take a walk, you sound way more butthurt than you should.

maybe they're overpriced today, but 15+ years ago they were under $40, and really innovative for the time

Maybe we can tone down the rhetoric and choose words that are more family friendly.
BladeForums is family friendly outside of Whine and Cheese.

C Chapp
Give your opinion on the knife. Do not use derogatory terms in addressing other posters.

It's fine to not like a particular knife but here are my two cents....
I used to scoff at FRN handles on knives but then I got one. The Delica handles works great. The bidirectional pattern makes for a good secure grip and the synthetic material makes for a very light weight knife. The FRN handles are fine in my book.
As for it being ugly; beauty is in the eye of the beholder. It's funny how ugly knives suddenly can turn into the best thing since sliced bread when you start using them. Years ago I used to not like the design of the PM2 but then I got one. A great knife and now I really like the design because I understand it better after using it. The PM2 is a classic for a reason. Personally I really like the Delica as well. Both as a daily user and for the design/look. A practical user knife which works as intended.
I don't perceive the need for a sharpening choil in a knife like the Delica and never even thought about it in regards to that knife. I certainly don't miss a choil.
Steel: You don't like for example ZDP89 and V-Toku2?

Which steel does your daily user have?

Price: On the market there is a plethora of knives and knife companies to choose from. If a commodity sells, it's not 'overpriced.' If Spyderco buyers didn't like the price of the knives they would buy other more affordable blades but the knives sell well - very well.
Further more Spyderco knives are quality knives. That comes at a cost. Quite a lot of work goes into them and into making sure a certain standard is upheld. I've got a bunch of Spyderco knives and have never had a dud. That doesn't mean that the company hasn't come out with less than perfect knives. It also doesn't mean that I haven't been swearing at a Spyderco or two but that mainly stems from me taking knives apart and having had to work at putting the occasional model back together again (against the explicit advice from Spyderco who used to not want people to take the knives apart. There was/is a reason for that).

Have you owned a Delica?

Last edited:
Yet, all I see is a xxx xxx ugly knife with plastic handles
Personally I salute Sal Glesser for letting functionality take a high seat over looks.He practically re-invented the pocket knife.
I quite like many of the Spyderco models. Functionality is sexy hence 'good looking':D
Plenty of others brands out there for those who put a higher priority on how a knife should look rather than work.
It's good that we like different knives though. How boring would it be if we all liked the same knives.

I havent owned a delica,but have a meadowlark 2. The meadiwlark is very similar to the delica. The meadowlark us a very functional took. Ive nroke diwn bixes,used it in the kitchen etc. The delica us one that will be in my collection soon. A very good design for typical everyday use. Looms are somethung that we can disagree on. While not the lrettiest looking by far it is one of the most practical and functional designs there are imho

Worst knife evah! The ninjas laughed me right off the food court when they saw it. Then ma forgot to cut up my Salisbury before bringing it down to my room and when I pulled the Delica out she pointed and laughed and said, "You aren't going out in public with that thing are you?" :p

IMG_2615.jpg IMG_2616.jpg

Slightly used delica super blue. lol it's a excellent steel in my opinion. Used it for years at work cutting varies things from 3/4" drywall, tape, plastic, caulk. Was never babied, the superblue held a edge great, never chipped, just dulled.

I normally don't use a knife for drywall, only when I misplace my razor knife.

Last edited:
First mistak
View attachment 1140612 View attachment 1140613

Slightly used delica super blue. lol it's a excellent steel in my opinion. Used it for years at work cutting varies things from 3/4" drywall, tape, plastic, caulk. Was never babied, the superblue held a edge better great, never chipped, just dulled.

I normally don't use a knife for drywall, only when I misplace my razor knife.
Dang u sho hadn’t babied that thing! Love it.

Back