Photos Prototype Utility Shears

FortyTwoBlades

Baryonyx walkeri
Dealer / Materials Provider
Here are some photos of a pair of upcoming 10" heavy duty utility shears we're having produced. USA-made, with unique precision tips to assist in piercing to start a cut in the middle of a piece of material, yet with beefy blades measuring 1/4" at the spine at their base, and an oversized lower ring you can easily fit all four fingers inside. The sample shown here is hard nickel plated, but we'll be having the production version made in bare high carbon steel. I first had the notion for these back in 2012, and it's very exciting to finally be making progress on the project.

SpearpointShears-1024x694.jpg

SpearpointShearsTip-1024x694.jpg

Looks very capable and strong. Tired of buying scissors with a bolt going thru the blades into a piece of plastic as they always seem to break. I have an older Fiskars that I got 20+ years ago, made the old way and it just keeps on cutting, now all the ones I see are bolt into plastic. John

I believe from the picture that these will be ambidextrous as all good shears should be?

I believe from the picture that these will be ambidextrous as all good shears should be?

Impossible, I'm afraid. Even if the handle was ambidextrous then the blades can only be right-handed or left-handed in orientation. However, if these do well, it's possible we could eventually have some done in left-handed configuration, though they'd have to have a standard-sized lower ring rather than the oversized one that this model has.

Impossible, I'm afraid. Even if the handle was ambidextrous then the blades can only be right-handed or left-handed in orientation. However, if these do well, it's possible we could eventually have some done in left-handed configuration, though they'd have to have a standard-sized lower ring rather than the oversized one that this model has.

I was just referring to an ambidextrous handle. I often cut with whatever hand depending on what I'm holding.

Technically you could make a fully abidextrous shears by having the two halfs that bolt together to make the shears be identical.

Technically you could make a fully abidextrous shears by having the two halfs that bolt together to make the shears be identical.

Think about if the top blade is on the left or the right. Flip it over and you still have the top blade on that side. :)

Any plans for a shorter pair of shears for precision kitchen duty use (e.g. snipping herbs)?

Shhhhhh... ;)

Yes, we have plans for a model based on high leverage shears with a 3" cut, and some based on electrician's scissors, both with these precision tips. These were just the first since they're the best all-'rounders.

wow those look nice. :thumbsup:
Older shears always seemed better to me, all of my (and my friend's) newer ones just don't cut it, in this particular case it looks like technology has gone backwards in design and efficiency

Depends on how quickly we meet funding goals for it. We need to get 200 pieces spoken for and we can get the ball rolling. But once we meet that goal, it should only take a month to get them produced. :)

See if you can get into the massdrop drop for these. They do have a nitting community that goes for good scissors.

These aren't exactly knitting scissors. They're based on shears used by roofers for cutting asphalt shingles and flashing. Super heavy-duty and made for general utility. :)

Reactions: Mo2
Despite that, I would agree that you should post these on some of the knitting, quilting, and similar forums. My mother's godmother was a seamstress and she collected nuclear-grade scissors. Seems to be a thing among those interested in quality textile arts. Might get a few extra preorders that way. And when hubby sees what nice shears the wife's got by her Singer, he might be getting a pair of his own.

I hope to take part in the preorder shortly. These scissors remind me somewhat of an awesome pair that I inherited from the aforementioned great-godmother, but yours are the first I've ever seen that actually look like they'd be better!

I haven't uploaded it to YouTube yet, but over on my business Facebook page I uploaded a video of them shearing through 1/8" thick genuine Bayer Makrolon polycarbonate. :D

Back