RAJ Kumar/ KAMI FUND DRIVE

Just sent a small donation to Auntie, and will donate some of the profits from any sheaths I make to her as well.

Here's Rajkumar's take on a Chiruwa Ang Khola:
The Kothimoda CAK

[check out how the carving on the wood handle extends onto the steel tang]:

The other day I was lucky enough to shark a nice Kothimoda Chirwau Ang Khola from DOTD. After ordering this knife, I was ready to be giddy when the package arrived... The package arrived today, less than 48 hours after sending the email to Auntie.

I found my experience to be quite different than what I expected. When I took the box from the mail carrier (signature required) I felt a tone of seriousness and respect. Opening the box and examining the piece is documented in pictures below. Overall I have to say that there is a warm "glow" feeling in my stomach of contentedness and satisfaction with this knife...which is to say that i could not possibly be more pleased - I got EXACTLY what I wanted. Instead of feeling "hehehe - this is sharp, I'm so excited", it's more like, "yeah, that's right". It's hard to describe.

I set out to buy a work knife, but this one called to me. So I said to myself, okay, i'll buy this one, but it's "too nice to use" and now I need to buy another as a work knife. After holding it (the grip fits my hand perfectly and feels extremly comfortable) - this knife is too nice NOT to be used. I've ordered a fundraiser sheath for carrying it when it's not on display. So I still "need" to buy another, but not because I need a work knife.

Here's the pics:

The "triangle box" - note that postage paid is what postage cost:
DSC_0074_1.jpg

Inside the box:
DSC_0076_1.jpg

Spine side of handle:
DSC_0078_1.jpg

Blade side of handle:
DSC_0079_1.jpg

Was thinking that this would be a "display" knife, but the handle and blade BEG to be used. Kothimoda asked to be sank into my deck railing. I complied as gently as possible.
DSC_0087_1.jpg

DSC_0088_1.jpg

DSC_0089_1.jpg

DSC_0093_1.jpg

Handle and Kami mark:
DSC_0094_1.jpg

Karda and Chakma:
DSC_0098_1.jpg

The full rig:
DSC_0099_1.jpg

Originally Karda did not quite fit fully into holster (see it sticking out and note upon opening the box it had fallen out). Some careful chisel work fixed that after this picture was taken and now it fits snugly like Chakma.
DSC_0101_1.jpg

Continuing the showcase of Rajkumar's work,
here's his take on a Sirupati:

FANCY SIRUPATI KHUKURI BY RAJKUMAR

Overall lenght --14
Weight --14''
Spine thickness --1/4''
Water buffalo bone handle with brass bolster and bucctap
Gray horn scabbard with brass decoration
Superb work by Rajkumar and Amrit sarki
For your collection at $225 *SOLD*

Email to himimp@aol.com to order
First come first served

5-23-12001.jpg

5-23-12002.jpg

5-23-12003.jpg

5-23-12005.jpg

Here's a Hanuman Ang Khola by Rajkumar:

This arrived today in one of our favorite triangle boxes. It is a Birthday gift for my friend Alan who I have worked with for the last 15 years. He is moving out of the country with his family in June and I asked Auntie for something special. She suggested this Hanuman made by the new Kami - I don't know his name yet. This knife is the liveliest in my hand that I have yet to hold, the balance is exquisite. The blade is nothing short of breathtaking - super high polish with a nice, pointed, nasty looking tip that some Khuks don't have. The frog is very nice as well with matching brass work on the tip the same as under the hilt on the knife. The hilt is stepped and notched, perfectly done.

Thank You Yangdu, this is the perfect gift.

IMG_1411.jpg

IMG_1412.jpg

IMG_1413.jpg

IMG_1414.jpg

IMG_1415.jpg

IMG_1416.jpg

IMG_1417.jpg

IMG_1418.jpg

IMG_1419.jpg

**I misunderstood, this is a new style Hanuman not a new Kami, apologies.

Had this one made for my Dad's 70th birthday. You can barely see hammer marks!

PS 27" long and 73oz

6-20-12009.jpg

6-20-12010.jpg

6-20-12011.jpg

that is a great custom dirtbiker, love all the raj kumar pics guys keep em coming--and thanks everyone for donations, you guys rock.

27" and 73oz - Your dad must be some sort of Titan. An happy one that is.

While I'm sure the blade is ready for heavy use it is purely a display piece. I figured the king of the family needed a symbol of his reign... I thought this fit the bill.

The marks on the side of the blade are his 3 initals in Devanagari,

And thanks everyone for donations, you guys rock.

I hope we get Raj Kumar back soon. At first I thought he was sick (Sad).

Then I found out he is playing hard to get with Auntie (Business). That's ok with me and I'm glad to contribute as I'm sure he deserve a little incentive to return.

Playing hard to get? How so?

He's very talented and probably earns a decent living where he is.
So why would he move at his own expenses?

I have the utmost respect for Auntie and her crew. I just don't get sentimental when it comes to money.
Still, my donation is just as good as any other and I'm happy to help ;)

Word I have is he left knife making to get into jewelry with a relative ? with a plan for a better life. It apparently didn't pan out and he's not making the money he made at HI.
Heard he wants to come back. He's a very gifted kami and even if he is playing hard to get, probably worth it. I never heard about playing hard to get.

Word I have is he left knife making to get into jewelry with a relative ? with a plan for a better life. It apparently didn't pan out and he's not making the money he made at HI.
Heard he wants to come back. He's a very gifted kami and even if he is playing hard to get, probably worth it. I never heard about playing hard to get.

I heard that the same thing, I hadn't heard anything concerning "playing hard to get", that's why I was asking.

Leaving and then needing money to come back is kind of hard to get.
Probably not doing it on purpose so I doubt there's a "playing" hard to get. He's just that. Hard to get.
Glad he'll be back. Got one of his Gelbus and it's good. Seeing his other works here makes me look forward to more.
:)

My understanding of "playing hard to get" is that you pretend lack of interest in order to be pursued harder, whether by a potential employer, a love interest, or whatever.

I have no inside information here, but it appears that Rajkumar simply expressed a desire to go back to work for HI, and he will need travel/relocation expenses. Maybe he has debts to pay off, who knows? Probably a one-time, up-front cost for HI to get him back. Since he has a family, the cost of relocation could be a significant amount by Nepal standards.

It doesn't sound like he is pretending lack of interest in HI, quite the contrary.

I have to add that the Rajkumar CAK posted above by Steve Tall (originally by bric) is one of the most beautiful knives I've ever seen. Not necessarily the fanciest, though it's way up there, but just a well-proportioned, wel-nigh perfect example of functional art.

Last edited:
exactly david-- he went to work for uncle at prospects of better pay, better pay never happened and with better business auntie needs him more than ever-- so we just need to help get his family back to bir gorkha so he can go back to work for them, as he does not have the cash to relocate.

def not a playing hard to get thing, raj is like family to pala and auntie, they are helping out a clan member (by extension our clan member), auntie told me about this saying they were trying to get the money together to get him back, hence the kami fund drive when you add in the landslide issues with thamar and lok-- was all brought up because I asked for hilariously large sword.

Back