Random Thought Thread

The Sebenza served me well for a long time, but the more I used them (I’ve had more than 40 CRKs) along side other folders, I found the actual cutting performance was substandard compared to all options available to me. From a manufacturing perspective they are extremely impressive, but leave much to be desired as a harder use cutting tool.

I tried all the big 3 tactical folders, and a bunch of mid-tech brands before getting my hands on my first Shiro. @coiledwire sent it to me. There was no going back.

They make a Sebenza look like a student project from a design, ergonomic and performance standpoint. They are more expensive, but worth every cent to me.

I sold every other folder I have with one exception, a sprint run PM2 I use as a beater. Truth be told as I’ve been harder on my Shiro users, I don’t use the PM2 anymore.

But no, I’ve never heavily batoned on a folder without fear of damage. I’ve done almost everything else within reason. I don’t have small fixed blades as I found for my use, they have never offered anything I can’t get in a much more practical to carry folder.

The NeOn Lite I am sending you has done the following:

Cut holes in drywall after being punched through by hammering with my palm.
Stripped and cut wire.
Scrapped paint off concrete.
Pried open cans and bottles.
Pried staples out of wood.
Broken down thousands of boxes, on occasion hitting staples.
Been dropped onto concrete, tile and asphalt.

You will see the tip and spine damage.

Lots of other similar things. But I’ve never done anything I knew would intentionally damage it. All damage was incidental.

A final comment in reply, I don’t think a folding knife for hikers and something slick need to be mutually exclusive. Shiro/Sinkevich actually did a collaboration for that exact purpose.

Your level of attention applied to the mechanics of a folder may be infuriating in some aspects, but I believe could result in an amazing heirloom quality cutting tool.

You are gonna have to consider what other machines, fasteners, etc this will require but it’s a huge and potentially lucrative market. I’d never describe you as someone motivated by profit, quite the opposite actually, but employees and machines cost money, and you will find people willing to pay for quality in many price brackets.

Yeah man, send it over. Right now it looks like the first CPK folder will be like a Sebenza and a Field Knife had a baby. Exactly like that, sort of.

I will do a light slick flipper at some point, but I have never gone wrong making a sturdy tool made the way I want it as if I am the end user. And I want this first folder to be a folding knife for people who normally use a fixed blade. Not fragile or finicky or slick. Like an iron block naturally aspirated engine. Simple and reliable and durable. So #1 is going to be bronze washers with an oversize pivot but reasonable geometry and designed to fit comfortable in your pocket, like the Seb. Your Seb actually. It's a terrible knife. Ugly, clunky, thumb stud knife with a less than excellent heat treat. It has become one of my favorite knives because it works so well, I never have to give it any special attention, and it was made at a level of manufacturing competency that I think most people wouldn't understand its excellence without being a machinist or engineer etc. I'm sure the Shiro is some next level stuff, but would you baton or pry with it without fear of damaging it as if it were a fixed blade? I think I can do that on a folder (that isn't some dumb heavy overbuilt kludge) and I think it makes sense for our first stab at it. A folding knife for a hikers etc.

Then we'll do some slick stuff. Mark's a wizard at that stuff.

*Public service announcement*

Blade show tickets are up for sale(got mine with an early bird to run to Nathan's table):D

Jo the Machinist Jo the Machinist Will you be accepting PayPal at the show?

Carry on;)

~Chip
We do, but reception is crap inside the Galleria. We have 2 tables this year. We are close to our old table but a row up. You will find us at Tables 2B and 2C this year. :)

We do, but reception is crap inside the Galleria. We have 2 tables this year. We are close to our old table but a row up. You will find us at Tables 2B and 2C this year. :)
Thanks Jo! Make sure Nathan updates the table location in his signature ;)

~Chip

*Public service announcement* Blade show tickets are up for sale.....
I’ve heard horror stories about a >1 mile-long line to get into the show and people who camp out overnight on line to be among the first wave of attendees who get into the show. Is that the way it goes or were those urban myths/legends and old wive’s tales I picked up?

I remeber the first time i saw someone eat pineapple on a pizza.
I was 15, and just started a job a pizza hut.
On my first lunch break, they let us make personal pizzas for ourselves.
The guy training me put pineapple on his. I thought he was insane and teased him, so he told me i need to try it one day.
The next day at work I made a personal pizza with pepperoni and pineapple.
Well, that was 30 years ago, and still to this day the only pizza ill eat is pepperoni and pineapple. Hah
I would venture to say its right behind elk steaks and elk burgers as my favorite thing to eat and i love elk...
Actually, i think ill go thaw out some elk for dinner.
Carry on people.....

I’ve heard horror stories about a >1 mile-long line to get into the show and people who camp out overnight on line to be among the first wave of attendees who get into the show. Is that the way it goes or were those urban myths/legends and old wive’s tales I picked up?
Just curious: are you also here in NY?

I remeber the first time i saw someone eat pineapple on a pizza.
I was 15, and just started a job a pizza hut.
On my first lunch break, they let us make personal pizzas for ourselves.
The guy training me put pineapple on his. I thought he was insane and teased him, so he told me i need to try it one day.
The next day at work I made a personal pizza with pepperoni and pineapple.
Well, that was 30 years ago, and still to this day the only pizza ill eat is pepperoni and pineapple. Hah
I would venture to say its right behind elk steaks and elk burgers as my favorite thing to eat and i love elk...
Actually, i think ill go thaw out some elk for dinner.
Carry on people.....
You should delete or change that post before Nathan sees it or all your knives will be coming straight out of the creek!

Back