Random Thought Thread

Mustard for leg cramps? like do you eat it or smear it on your leg?
In case this was a genuine query, you eat it. Helps to either squeeze the mustard packet in your mouth, then swish it around with some water, or you can mix the mustard with water, then drink the mustard-water.

Helps with any kind of muscle cramps, not just leg cramps (yes, pickle juice works too).

The mechanism by which it works is actually pretty fascinating (at least to a nerd like me).

Folks used to think it had something to do with the electrolytes in the pickle juice/mustard (and pickle juice is high in electrolytes), but it works waaayyyy too fast (generally within 5-10 minutes of it hitting your tongue). The digestive system simply doesn't absorb stuff that quickly.

While there are a variety of causes for muscle cramps (dehydration, electrolyte imbalance, higher lactic acid buildup than your body can flush etc.), once the uncontrolled muscle contractions that we call muscle cramps begin, they continue due to overstimulated nerve signals continually being sent to the muscles.

The reason that mustard or pickle juice works, is because certain flavors (very spicy, sour and/or bitter) hitting the taste buds at the back of the tongue, produce a neural shock that resets the nervous system's glitching that is sending the repeated 'contract' signals along the pathways.

There's actually a product out now based on the research as to why mustard/pickle juice helps alleviate muscle cramps. It's called HotShot and is specifically for muscle cramping. It can be taken to alleviate muscle cramps that have begun, or taken prior to, or during strenuous physical activity, to prevent muscle cramps (eg. before endurance events).

I had some medical issues a while back that caused me to lose over 50% of my Hemoglobin more than once (1 incident where I lost over 75% put me in the hospital requiring 6 units of blood). Whenever my Hemoglobin dropped by 30+%, I was very susceptible to random, severe muscle cramping.

That was what made me look into muscle cramping, and solutions to it. I used to always either carry a hip flask full of pickle juice, or mustard packets. When the HotShot product was in preproduction, I had a chance to test it, and then started carrying that. (Fortunately, they eventually figured out what my issue was, and since the surgery a few years back, I'm no longer losing blood).

Last edited:
That's sweet, until today eating a banana was my only cure.
Yeah, the whole, "eat a banana" thing, is supposedly for the potassium. Even if you might be getting muscle cramps due to low potassium levels, a) there are other foods with more potassium, b) it's something that has to be done as a preventative (i.e. consume more potassium rich foods regularly).

A banana (or any potassium rich food) won't help the muscle cramps you're experiencing right now, because the body won't absorb it immediately, and 1 banana won't appreciably increase your potassium levels.

The mustard/pickle juice/HotShot works within 5-10 minutes (it actually makes the muscle cramps ease up faster than that, in under 60 seconds, but IME, takes about 5-10 minutes before they completely stop).

Yeah, the whole, "eat a banana" thing, is supposedly for the potassium. Even if you might be getting muscle cramps due to low potassium levels, a) there are other foods with more potassium, b) it's something that has to be done as a preventative (i.e. consume more potassium rich foods regularly).

A banana (or any potassium rich food) won't help the muscle cramps you're experiencing right now, because the body won't absorb it immediately, and 1 banana won't appreciably increase your potassium levels.

The mustard/pickle juice/HotShot works within 5-10 minutes (it actually makes the muscle cramps ease up faster than that, in under 60 seconds, but IME, takes about 5-10 minutes before they completely stop).

I eat a banana for breakfast every morning! I mow an acre yard with a push mower, run and backpack and sweat profusely, no cramps! Staying in shape and pushing yourself to muscle failure helps with cramps as well.

Yeah, for me it’s only when I’m working on something big that I’ve put off and I go without sleep and food and get all intense and stuff. Eating a banana every day was a prophylactic remedy and in the moment of those night cramps all I could do was howl and punch my calves. I am looking forward to the next time this happens now, so I can show off to my wife by calmly pouring mustard in my mouth like a scientist. This is the best forum ever btw.

I occasionally get a heinous middle back spasm. It can be completely debilitating and cause a muscle injury that can take weeks to heal. The trick is to stop it before it gets going in a feedback and once it's really started badly the only thing I can do is take a strong muscle relaxer and a powerful narcotic pain killer with some alcohol (don't judge, it's a potentiator, analgesic and muscle relaxer) and sit in an ergo chair and try to relax. It took many years to figure this out. It works but when it gets to that point my day is totally shot.

I've been experimenting with CBD oil and used it a couple times on some minor back spasms that would probably have gone away on their own with some relaxation techniques and it appeared to work. Today I got hit with the real thing and used the CBD oil and got it under control without having to resort to the powerful pills. It's a sample size of one, but it did prevent the need for getting all doped up and literally saved the day.

I eat a banana for breakfast every morning! I mow an acre yard with a push mower, run and backpack and sweat profusely, no cramps! Staying in shape and pushing yourself to muscle failure helps with cramps as well.
Yep. That's the best way to do it. Prevention is definitely the best cure.

Sometimes cramps occur anyway (and in some cases, folks have underlying medical conditions that make them far more susceptible to muscle cramps. I know a few folks that have restless legs syndrome and get night time leg cramps frequently). Something that works fast to stop the cramping is a boon in those cases.

The doctors who created HotShot, actually started researching it because of an incident that occured while kayaking.

The backstory is that they were out sea kayaking, and both were hit with severe muscle cramps, to the point that they were having difficulty stabilizing their kayaks on the waves, and were in danger of capsizing, while suffering through it, trying everything to get the cramps to stop.

Even with kayaking and exercising regularly, eating a healthy diet and staying hydrated, they still got hit by severe cramping. It made them start researching the biology/physiology of cramping, as well as investigating all the common 'remedies', like salt/electrolytes, potassium levels, calcium levels, pickle juice, mustard etc.

I occasionally get a heinous middle back spasm. It can be completely debilitating and cause a muscle injury that can take weeks to heal. The trick is to stop it before it gets going in a feedback and once it's really started badly the only thing I can do is take a strong muscle relaxer and a powerful narcotic pain killer with some alcohol (don't judge, it's a potentiator, analgesic and muscle relaxer) and sit in an ergo chair and try to relax. It took many years to figure this out. It works but when it gets to that point my day is totally shot.

I've been experimenting with CBD oil and used it a couple times on some minor back spasms that would probably have gone away on their own with some relaxation techniques and it appeared to work. Today I got hit with the real thing and used the CBD oil and got it under control without having to resort to the powerful pills. It's a sample size of one, but it did prevent the need for getting all doped up and literally saved the day.
Most times, I could usually tell when muscle cramping was imminent (aside from the times I was awakened from a dead sleep by severe cramps). There's a tension/twinging felt, prior to the onset of the cramps.

If your back spasms follow the same pattern, you can try the mustard/pickle juice/HotShot at the first sign, and see if it doesn't shut it down immediately, making the twinges stop before you get hit by even 1 strong spasm/contraction.

Be sure to keep up your salt intake as well.
Yep. Marathoners/endurance athletes either drink electrolyte replacement drinks (there are better options than Gatorade, but you can also dilute Gatorade), or carry salt tabs.

Learned that the hard way on an 80 mile ride on my road bike, as a teen. Lost a lot of salt from sweating. Just water replaced the water, but not the salt.

The official Blade Show haul:)

20190613_1417332.jpg

Hubertus Pen blade release auto
Diskin Revolution Scale release auto
Ultimate Defense Assassin
Evan Miller (@millere) EDC Bowie;)
Emerson Gentleman Jim (an amazing gift from @Quiet )
Titanium comb from Spectrum Energetics
A.G. Russell Titanium Funny Folder (always wanted one of these:D)
We (Civivi) knives pen (won in an awesome giveaway from @henkh )

All arrived safe and sound to home base...I can breathe now;)

Nathan, was that a topical application of pure CBD oil or did you ingest it? Thanks. Mike

The official Blade Show haul:)

20190613_1417332.jpg

Hubertus Pen blade release auto
Diskin Revolution Scale release auto
Ultimate Defense Assassin
Evan Miller (@millere) EDC Bowie;)
Emerson Gentleman Jim (an amazing gift from @Quiet )
Titanium comb from Spectrum Energetics
A.G. Russell Titanium Funny Folder (always wanted one of these:D)
We (Civivi) knives pen (won in an awesome giveaway from @henkh )

All arrived safe and sound to home base...I can breathe now;)

That looks like a very well rounded haul! Congratulations! Mike

Back