Random Thought Thread

Badass of the day right there.

8r6KDnyl.jpg

Indulgent, yes; nobility, no:oops:. About 20 years for me...allopurinol ftw!

Me too. I had gout in my right big toe about 23 years ago. Once is enough. I thought my toe was broken. :eek:

I have a pair of black Rockport shoes that I bought about 20 years ago. I only wear them when I dress up. I haven't worn them for at least 5 years.

I’m still wearing shorts; in Canada.

I had to laugh at that. The first winter that we were here, there was about 6 inches of snow in Prescott. We went to a shop in a strip mall and there was a guy wearing a tank top, surfing shorts and flip-flops
slogging through a few inches of slush. We guessed that he was either from Kalifornia or Canada. (Maybe Minnesota, eh?)

Me too. I had gout in my right big toe about 23 years ago. Once is enough. I thought my toe was broken. :eek:

I have a pair of black Rockport shoes that I bought about 20 years ago. I only wear them when I dress up. I haven't worn them for at least 5 years.

Wish I could say it was only once. Had flare ups for a few years before getting on some meds. Been flare-up free for many years now, and still eat meat, seafood, and drink beer.

Wish I could say it was only once. Had flare ups for a few years before getting on some meds. Been flare-up free for many years now, and still eat meat, seafood, and drink beer.

I have also been on allopurinol since the first time. I even kept refilling my Rx for indomethacin for awhile.

I had to laugh at that. The first winter that we were here, there was about 6 inches of snow in Prescott. We went to a shop in a strip mall and there was a guy wearing a tank top, surfing shorts and flip-flops
slogging through a few inches of slush. We guessed that he was either from Kalifornia or Canada. (Maybe Minnesota, eh?)
It's all relative.

Freshman year in college, a group of us drove down to FL for Spring Break. We're running around in shorts and T-shirts in low to mid 60f and the locals go, "Hey, you should put on some warmer clothes, you'll catch a cold".

Our response was, "We just drove down from MI. There was a foot of snow on the ground, and it was 14f. This is warm!".

Same thing in late Fall/early Winter; the first few times it gets down below 50f, everyone bundles up, "Man, it's getting cold". Middle of February after weeks of highs in the 20s, if it hits high 40f temps, students are walking around campus in shorts going, "Finally, some warm weather".

I have also been on allopurinol since the first time. I even kept refilling my Rx for indomethacin for awhile.

Still have some indo just in case. Ever take too much? Apparently I did one time and my leg swelled up, and if I pressed my finger into it, the indent would stay for a while (guess its called pitting edema)...freaky!

Indomethacin can be dangerous. I had CABG in Nov. 1998 and was told not to use it. It can also cause bleeding in the stomach. The only time I took it was after the first attack. I don't remember exactly when that was. 1996 or 1997 maybe.

since 90% of my calories comes from red meat and beer I figure it's just a matter of time before the gout...

I'm 44. How old were y'all when it started?

Not necessarily. If you are concerned, have your blood tested for uric acid. The last time mine was checked it was 6.7 mg/dL which is in the middle. 8.5 is the upper limit.

I was 55 or 56. Gout is caused my excessive uric acid in the blood that forms crystals in joints. I was told to cut back on red wine and cheddar cheese. I don't drink any wine.
I just whine.

There is some evidence that it is hereditary.

Back