Random Thought Thread

Yup believing in something that you can't confirm for yourself with repeatable observable experiments just because an agency with a $56 million a day budget says it's so is bonkers.

I mean, there's ZERO reason to not just accept that while you're watching a sunset you're essentially falling away from it (spinning away from the sun) faster than the speed of sound.

Zero reason not to believe my senses that tell me that the ground isn't moving.

ZERO reason that the formula for the curvature of the earth that were given proves that we've been fed a pile of dogshit. WE SEE TO DAMN FAR. FURTHER THAN WE SHOULD.

But. I'm not a big fan of false binaries. Flat, a globe, I can't prove either. I don't know WHAT the hell this place is. All I know, KNOW, is that we don't live on a spinning ball, flying through an infinite, empty void at ridiculous speeds.

Whew. That felt good.

IURcKAT.jpg

ugh...

It used to be that so long as one avoids religion and politics one could safely pursue polite conversation, but in the modern era of rampant misinformation where two news outlets can report on the same story in two very different ways many people struggle to tell what's real from what isn't and we now, somehow, have flat earth debates that apparently can be added to that list of topics to avoid. It is what it is.

I would remind folks that Timmy here has always been a respectful and non-disruptive contributing member and, other than holding some beliefs that most people find very strange, he's a pretty chill dude. Given than it's about impossible to change someone's mind on the internet I'd suggest that you don't try. Instead let it rest.

ugh...

It used to be that so long as one avoids religion and politics one could safely pursue polite conversation, but in the modern era of rampant misinformation where two news outlets can report on the same story in two very different ways many people struggle to tell what's real from what isn't and we now, somehow, have flat earth debates that apparently can be added to that list of topics to avoid. It is what it is.

I would remind folks that Timmy here has always been a respectful and non-disruptive contributing member and, other than holding some beliefs that most people find very strange, he's a pretty chill dude. Given than it's about impossible to change someone's mind on the internet I'd suggest that you don't try. Instead let it rest.

Thanks Nathan. I'm on board. I just have to say though,
This ^^^ was fliipping funny. I laughed my ass off.

Check out
Dwayne Kellum
And
J Tolan Media

Just because something is on YouTube doesn't mean it's fake. If I used that logic I never would have bought my first CPK.

Ok now I'm done being controversial. For like a week. At least. :')

Random thought:

I grew up learning that you should "know what you think and why you think it". It is a reflection on our own beliefs and preconceived notions to understand why we have come to those conclusions. And I think that most of the time it has nothing to do with real thought and truly self derived opinions but instead is simply a function of being born in a certain time and place. Most of the thoughts and opinions in our heads were put there by someone else. So in a way, our own thoughts aren't really our own.

Think about some core belief that you hold and feel completely certain about. For many people this might be something religious. If you had been kidnaped as a baby and raised somewhere like Pakistan would that core belief be different? Would you still be completely certain about it?

^ this is a rhetorical question. But if you'll think about it for a moment you might see that many people hold beliefs that they are completely certain about but they could hold completely contradictory beliefs if some element that was outside of their control were changed a little bit, such as the time or place of their upbringing or the beliefs of their parents or community.

If one accepts that our own thoughts are frequently ideas put into our heads by other people, one can see the wisdom in being skeptical of information being fed us and choosing where we get our information as carefully as we chose what foods to eat. Junk food will make you unhealthy. Junk information is also bad. The problem is that information doesn't come in a package with a nutritional label on it. Like food, it's probably a good idea to get a variety information from different sources and accept that if you can't digest it you shouldn't just eat it.

ugh...Given than it's about impossible to change someone's mind on the internet I'd suggest that you don't try. Instead let it rest.

That's probably the wisest statement I've heard on this Infernal Net! I think the closest I've ever come is to introduce a rookie sharpener to just start off buying superior sharpening stones. Just like my mother, everyone has a "secret recipe."

Head down to Chula Vista after sunset.
You’re allowed to shoot the shit out of everything there.
Oceanside isn’t much different.

LOL :D

Both cities are quite gentrified but Oceanside much more. Heck, ocean front condos in Oceanside are now almost fetching a cool $million for a 2Br ;) But to what you had said, yup; there're neighborhood within those ZIPs east of the proverbial "green zone" that you don't wanna visit past dusk if you're a tourist ;)

I maybe in a unique situation as compared to most of you "natives" to speak to what Nathan had opined up there ^

I was born in a backwards place with the populous being fed horse-shyte ideas and consumed with their religious zeal. Luckily for me, my Pop was a rebellious sort and the first ever in his immediate family to go to college, medical school nonetheless to become a surgeon and he even helped his younger siblings to go to college. More fortunately, he used his status and his private practice to assist his kids to bolt to study overseas.

Because my Brother and I had the great fortunes to go to good schools and to live in industrialized countries where tendency to think freely and to speak freely would not cost one his/her tongue, arm, hand or worse head; with a little bit of effort on our part we became completely assimilated and steeped in the culture of freedom of thoughts, speech and actions within the framework of our laws. Now 40+ years later, here I am and here we are:

I LOVE this country which took me in, accepted me and gave me a choice to become of one Her own. It pains me to no end to see what it is currently going through and sometimes events make the hair stand on the back of my neck because FAAARRRK it has started to resonate with me at least, the ugliness of authoritarianism, despotism and tribalism but I am still optimistic that the majority of the people happen to be open minded and middle-of-the-road instead of the screaming anarchists types of the extremes (left or right).

In closing, trying to hone one's debating skills and thought influencing on the Interwebs is for the birds and a complete shyte-show much like online dating! Get out there and advocate for realz if you're really into this much like meeting real people IRL if you wanna get romantic ;)

Yessir, the good old proof via variations in the lengths of shadows :)

But wouldn't there still be a shadow cast by one of the sticks if the Earth was flat? Everything else being equal, I agree that the shadow cast by the stick on a round Earth would be longer, but I think that same stick on a flat Earth would still cast a shadow, just not as much. Think of a tall light in a flat parking lot. If a car is directly under it, there wouldn't be a shadow. But a car a few spots away would be at a different angle to the light, and therefore cast a shadow. Obviously the sun is much larger than a street light, but it is also very far away, so when we're talking about hundreds or thousands of miles between the sticks, there is a difference in angle, as slight as it may be.

Back