Random Thought Thread

dgK9hHkl.jpg

Hey Tony how big was that thing? I've seen dozens of wasps that look just like that recently that were 1 1/2" - 2" long swarming in small trees near us. I've never seen anything like them before.
Kill them all.

Weren’t there those killer bees ? They came in from overseas or something like that. If it is one I believe there’s a contact like DEP to let them know.

No, the big scary bee that came over that people were stupidly calling murder hornets are Asian giant hornets. It is a concerning new invasive species. That's not what that picture is of. and the large hornets that were swarming around that dude's trees were most likely European giant hornets. They are also terrifying. But they're not aggressive, they have been here for forever and they don't have a particularly harmful sting.

Yellow jackets, which are a wasp not a bee, are very aggressive and will sting you. and they're tiny and puny and they have a pathetic little sting not much worse than a honey bee. we have red paper wasps around here and they are common and aggressive and have a very powerful sting. That is the kind of shit you should be worried about. But they are not particularly large. The giant European hornets are docile and despite their enormous size don't have a powerful sting. Same deal with the large bald face hornets. If you're on the west side of the country there are tarantula hawks, those have an enormously powerful sting. And they are a large black wasp. Don't mess with tarantula hawks. they're not aggressive but if you get stung by one you will regret it. Around here we have a small version of them called spider hawks and I have only ever seen two in my life. In my opinion the worst stinging flying insect is the red paper wasp which, unfortunately, around here are common and aggressive and they pack a hell of a wallop

Nathan,

Yup you nailed it, murder hornet is exactly what came to my mind.
But now that you have mentioned all those other stinging monsters. I’ll be carrying mega bee spray !!! Lol :) We have wasps , yellow jackets , hornets and some really mean white head bee. Many years back I had some make a condo association in a big oak tree. Found out hard when starting to cut tree. :-( That turned into call to volunteer FD and a control burn lol.

Yellow jackets, which are a wasp not a bee, are very aggressive and will sting you. and they're tiny and puny and they have a pathetic little sting not much worse than a honey bee...

What we call "Yellerjackits" ;) on my side of the mountain-- I wouldn't say they have puny stings...they hurt like a sumbeyotch.

They live in the ground and particularly hate having a Dixie Chopper mowing above their abode...I know this for a fact because I got hit 10x by these infernal bastards last summer. I jumped off the mower "shittin and gittin" it whacking at my legs with my cap like a madman. One I killed had ahold of my coverall's leg fabric with his mouth whilst jammin his ass end into my leg. He was hanging on like a pit bull before I smashed him. :mad:

Anyways, I've been bee stung, waspstung, even had a centerpede pinch me...but those yellowjacket wounds hurt badly, swole up, and made me itch them like a madman for about a week afterward. I don't want to tangle with no more of them bad boys.

So, I'm bettin what you call a "yellowjacket" ain't what I'm a-thinkin' about :confused:o_O

So, I'm bettin what you call a "yellowjacket" ain't what I'm a-thinkin' about :confused:o_O

I was thinking the same thing about the bald faced hornets. Those bald face sumbucks we have out here will knock the heck out of you. I've seen them sting the yellowjacket ground hornets and kill them. I think they eat them and probably other insects as well.

I was thinking the same thing about the bald faced hornets. Those bald face sumbucks we have out here will knock the heck out of you. I've seen them sting the yellowjacket ground hornets and kill them. I think they eat them and probably other insects as well.

yup, that's the problem with common vs. scientific nomenclature...

in parts of the South-- in particular, in Appalachia-- it's almost a foreign language-- it can be like listening to one of those Austry-yellin fellers talkin bout boomahs, jumbucks, billy boilin and such :p

The yellow jacket, also ground wasp and meat bee, are aggressive but don't have the sting power of the red paper wasp. they put my dad in the hospital about a year ago because they don't just sting you once, you get a bunch of them because they're aggressive and assholes and they should all die horrible deaths. But, individually, the sting really isn't that big a deal from just one yellow jacket compared to some of the other stinging insects. This new invasive species, the giant Asian hornet, are aggressive and have an incredibly powerful sting. fortunately they are not well established in the United States yet

What we call "Yellerjackits" ;) on my side of the mountain-- I wouldn't say they have puny stings...they hurt like a sumbeyotch.

They live in the ground and particularly hate having a Dixie Chopper mowing above their abode...I know this for a fact because I got hit 10x by these infernal bastards last summer. I jumped off the mower "shittin and gittin" it whacking at my legs with my cap like a madman. One I killed had ahold of my coverall's leg fabric with his mouth whilst jammin his ass end into my leg. He was hanging on like a pit bull before I smashed him. :mad:

Anyways, I've been bee stung, waspstung, even had a centerpede pinch me...but those yellowjacket wounds hurt badly, swole up, and made me itch them like a madman for about a week afterward. I don't want to tangle with no more of them bad boys.

Got tagged by some assholes with wings while mowing last Summer. Once I found the nest entrances, I blasted it with Wasp Killer.

Got tagged again the next week when I mowed over that section, so I turned that patch of ground into a little snow mound of Sevin and Tempo dust. Voila, problem solved.

This Spring, I saw ONE asshole with wings crawl into a hole in the ground right next to the walkway to my front door. Screw y'all, here's more powder. Haven't seen any since.

The ones in my yard were just like you describe.
The kids loved seeing them chase me around the yard after I ran over them with the mower.
I got about 10 stings in the lower leg which sucked because I had to drive 500 miles the next day. Pretty damn swollen and itchy by the time I got there.

If you get stung by a honey bee or a flying stinging insect with a sting not much worse than a honey bee and you are a grown man and you cry about it you lose your man card...

When I was 5 years old I fell into a yellow jacket's nest. Got stung somewhere between 60 and 100 times. I was sick, really really sick for days. They stung me everywhere from my ankles to inside my mouth. Everywhere. Apart from being very allergic to them now, I am certifiably traumatized to this day by bees of any type. Memories of it almost make me throw up. You should see me completely lose my sheit if one flies in my face. For years, if I could see on on the other side of a window, I would have to move.

Yes yellow jackets and bald faced hornets are aggressive and the bastids' come in swarms when stirred up ... have been tuned up good a couple times while cutting hay here. Some of the largest hornets and cicada killers look nasty but are pretty passive. These new Asian Hornets sound like a nightmare hopefully they don't spread everywhere but most likely will. Bumble Bees can be quite aggressive if you disturb a nest too but most of the time aren't a bother.

Back