1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

Random Thought Thread

Discussion in 'Carothers Performance Knives' started by Nathan the Machinist, Jul 17, 2017.

1. WValtakis

WValtakis Hand Engraving, Anodizing and Embellishment Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 29, 2004
    Green worked out ok, Black should be super easy:thumbsup:

2. mb>

mb> Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 24, 2014
    I figured these would be offered as a “set” to complement the K18. I mean they are birthed from the K18 sheets. ;)

Swords and daggers...like bread and butter. Or is it pistols and daggers now?

duramax, Phill50, on_the_edge and 7 others like this.
  3. Visyoual

Visyoual

Mar 23, 2016
    Thanks for the reply.
    Are you saying you dyed the scales green, or you started with green and dyed them black??
    Any report on permanence?
    Would love to see your result if you have a shot of them.

4. WValtakis

WValtakis Hand Engraving, Anodizing and Embellishment Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 29, 2004
    They started gray and got dyed green:)

5. Visyoual

Visyoual

Mar 23, 2016
    Nice work and thanks for digging that up. That looks like it took quite well.

6. SpyderPhreak

SpyderPhreak Rocketman for hire Platinum Member

Apr 13, 2004
    I can't wait till this batch arrives at my door! :cool: Yous guys are gonna be sooooooooo jealous!!! :p Thanks again for working with me on this Nathan. ;)

7. WValtakis

May 29, 2004
    I'm just glad I've got dibs on a "scratched up blem" already:p, I have a feeling these are gonna break the site on a particular Friday :eek:

duramax, Murphjd25, Phill50 and 8 others like this.
  8. tinfoil hat timmy

tinfoil hat timmy Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 21, 2014
    I already said dibs. So.....

duramax, BIGDORK, on_the_edge and 2 others like this.
  9. Nathan the Machinist

Nathan the Machinist KnifeMaker / Machinist / Evil Genius Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 13, 2007
    They will start to finish up in a month or two and I will post them up for sale here on the forum.

10. Nathan the Machinist

Nathan the Machinist KnifeMaker / Machinist / Evil Genius Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 13, 2007
    The dagger project of mine happened to fit into a drop from the sword production, but there are far fewer daggers than there are swords. It's kind of like a "fun Friday" thing that got a little out of hand.

11. on_the_edge

on_the_edge Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Oh, I don't think it's gotten out of hand yet. Just wait until they get listed FS. :D

duramax, Odog27, vkp78 and 7 others like this.
  12. tinfoil hat timmy

tinfoil hat timmy Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 21, 2014
    duramax, benchrest308, Odog27 and 4 others like this.
  13. mb>

mb> Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 24, 2014
    Hey man, it’s your scrap. I was just waxing selfish. :) These will vaporize like a summer rain on Florida asphalt.

Another idea: let us stop by the shop and throw Lorien’s dagger. Cold. 1 shot. If you stick the target you get a shot at buying.

duramax, Odog27, Mike157 and 3 others like this.
  14. Alldayap28

Alldayap28

Aug 12, 2019

Oh OK Bane

duramax, Odog27, vkp78 and 1 other person like this.
  15. Siddhant

Siddhant

Jan 25, 2018
    Any chance we could have a pre-order that gets a little out of hand? Wooden-handled, satin-finished boot daggers would be nice, jus sayin

ETA: +1 for the K18-Dagger add-on option..

16. SpyderPhreak

SpyderPhreak Rocketman for hire Platinum Member

Apr 13, 2004
    Yeah, a lottery would be pretty cool if these will be that limited. A Fun Friday sale would tear a hole in the space-time continuum I'm afraid. :eek:

duramax, Odog27, woodysone and 3 others like this.
  17. jlauffer

jlauffer Dissident Aggressor Platinum Member

Apr 11, 2016
    Guessing from the pic there's around 40 daggers, if that's all of them. That's enough, right? RIGHT???:eek:

duramax, Odog27, woodysone and 2 others like this.
  18. Hundred Acre Wood

Hundred Acre Wood

Mar 19, 2017
    Well, there's 38 left. Because I'm already in for 2. Still waiting for that invoice Jo. :)

19. JustinFournier

JustinFournier Gold Member Gold Member

May 7, 2012
    A while ago I used the stove top method to RIT dye canvas and linen micarta in black.

I also did the complete RIT fixative.

They worked out perfectly. The fixative prevented any colour from coming out of the scales and transferring to hands etc.

The logical progression was to TT. The downside after talking to Nathan about it, the heat used in the stove top method may cause delamination between the micarta and TT.

So before I go and dye all my TT I wanted to do a test batch.

The thing is I never ended up with an extra set of TT that may be ruined.

I still have all my stainless stuff and the materials to do it. I just need the scales.

duramax, Odog27, woodysone and 3 others like this.
  20. on_the_edge

on_the_edge Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Nathan, this is an exceptional idea. Please consider it.

duramax, Odog27, woodysone and 2 others like this.