Random Thought Thread

We're already very slow sharpening here. When sharpening dek1 or field knives I can do about eight an hour. It's looking like these daggers are more like three an hour. That's really appalling for a production knife shop. Worse, I'm the only one here who can do it, so I'm sharpening knives instead of programming Kepharts.
Three per hour is pretty daunting if you have already reached peak repetition efficiency, given so many to do. Part of it is the quality standard you set for yourself which I greatly appreciate.

I don't like Venmo.

Venmo certainly shares way too much information about your spending habits with those on your contact list, Facebook and other social media. In a nutshell, a lot more "intrusive" for lack of a better word than say PayPal. As far as buying and selling goes, Venmo has no significant safeguards (buyer/seller protection) other than perhaps a potential claim placed by card issuer if the method of payment was a CC. The only pro which I can think of right now, is their ease of use.

Venmo certainly shares way too much information about your spending habits with those on your contact list, Facebook and other social media. In a nutshell, a lot more "intrusive" for lack of a better word than say PayPal. As far as buying and selling goes, Venmo has no significant safeguards (buyer/seller protection) other than perhaps a potential claim placed by card issuer if the method of payment was a CC. The only pro which I can think of right now, is their ease of use.

I don't think Venmo is available in Canada so I don't know much about it. Why would they share spending habits on social media??? I just don't understand that at all... Is this how kids show off these days?

I don't think Venmo is available in Canada so I don't know much about it. Why would they share spending habits on social media??? I just don't understand that at all... Is this how kids show off these days?

It's like FB crap when you can see what your friends and family are up to. If we are socially networked and I spend $5 buying coffee, you'll also know about it. That kinda BS.

It's like FB crap when you can see what your friends and family are up to. If we are socially networked and I spend $5 buying coffee, you'll also know about it. That kinda BS.
Never got into social media. Simply don't care to know what everyone/anyone else is doing all the time, and I sure as heck don't give a goshdarn about letting everyone else know what I'm doing all the time.

***Note to self: NO Venmo***

I was there once, too. Alcohol was a problem for me, so I took care of it. If it ain't a problem, then it ain't a problem :)

Exercise did it for me. I think the thing was that drinking was something to do. Like, in a ritualistic and comforting way. Friday night? Have a drink. That sort of thing. Shifted to lifting and exercise two years ago. I still drink, but not nearly as much. It helps to know why a habit is a habit if you’re trying to consciously change it. At least, it did for me. I see a lot of people in my field who use it for anxiety but it never really fixes it.

Ice cream and Hershey’s. Food in general. The more I worked out and exercised, the hungrier I got, the more I ate, the more my scale suffered. Hold on to how much you eat, mostly, and your weight will go down. Eating is 70% of how much you weigh. Hold the food, down goes the weight, up will go the filling good index. Just shut your mouth, so to speak.

Ice cream and Hershey’s. Food in general. The more I worked out and exercised, the hungrier I got, the more I ate, the more my scale suffered. Hold on to how much you eat, mostly, and your weight will go down. Eating is 70% of how much you weigh. Hold the food, down goes the weight, up will go the filling good index. Just shut your mouth, so to speak.
2 good ones I've heard;
"Lose fat in the kitchen, get fit in the gym"
"You can't outrun the spoon"

Both are true. Most folks trying to lose weight, don't understand just how much work it takes to burn off extra calories they consume. A single slice of pizza, or a can of soda pop, 1 candy bar, 1 serving of ice cream... they're all in the 200+ calorie range.

That takes about 30 minutes at moderately strenuous pace on a stairmaster to burn off. Longer still on a treadmill. Easier to cut the excess calories than to try to "work them off".

I see what you’re saying, and you’re not wrong, but your body does need fuel. Cutting can and will start a cycle of calorie retention (starvation response) and can lead to disordered eating if you do it hard enough. It is better to start cooking more for yourself using raw materials (moving away from pre-made foods), substitute natural foods when you have the option (e.g. fruit and oatmeal instead of cereal), and cut down on red meat or sauce-centered dinners.

A crazy amount of sugar, salt, and other stuff are added during the production of pre-made foods to retain their shelf life so that’s where many hidden calories come from. Single and easiest thing to do is just stop drinking sodas and things like that, including teas, and drink water or unsweetened tea instead. That will save you a ton, like, immediately. But more generally take an “eat this, not that” approach to nutrition.

Last edited:
Back