Random Thought Thread

We got rid of the Romi last week to make room for a different machine coming in. That machine comes in today. The rigger says it weighs about 25,000 pounds. Mark and I are so looking forward to rolling that around the shop.

I see what you’re saying, and you’re not wrong, but your body does need fuel. Cutting can and will start a cycle of calorie retention (starvation response) and can lead to disordered eating if you do it hard enough. It is better to start cooking more for yourself using raw materials (moving away from pre-made foods), substitute natural foods when you have the option (e.g. fruit and oatmeal instead of cereal), and cut down on red meat or sauce-centered dinners.

A crazy amount of sugar, salt, and other stuff are added during the production of pre-made foods to retain their shelf life so that’s where many hidden calories come from. Single and easiest thing to do is just stop drinking sodas and things like that, including teas, and drink water or unsweetened tea instead. That will save you a ton, like, immediately. But more generally take an “eat this, not that” approach to nutrition.

While I agree it's important to eat healthy foods, it really does just boil down to calories in vs calories out at the end of the day. If you operate at a caloric deficit, your body has no calories to put towards storage (ie. fat).

Here's a quirky experiment by a professor at Kansas State University who only ate junk food and lost 27lb: https://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html

I'm pretty sure nobody likes a dentist. ;) you'd be wasted there.

I once rented some office space in the basement of a building. My office was immediately below the dentists chair in the office on the main floor.

Sometimes, when he had a kid in the chair, I had to leave the office. Sounded like a b-grade horror movie.

On the plus side, the dentist became a friend, and he had access to all the farmers hunting ground. (He took that in trade for good ol' boy tooth extractions.) Best pheasant hunting on the planet!

The only dentist I ever liked.

While I agree it's important to eat healthy foods, it really does just boil down to calories in vs calories out at the end of the day. If you operate at a caloric deficit, your body has no calories to put towards storage (ie. fat).

Here's a quirky experiment by a professor at Kansas State University who only ate junk food and lost 27lb: https://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html

I agree completely. But approaching weight loss as a purely caloric process, literally just a thing confined to your muscles and fat alone instead of a broader nutritional strategy, can have detrimental effects on your longterm health. He did lose weight, but he would have experienced other problems had he followed that diet longer than he did. If that’s the study I’m thinking of he even said that in an interview later.

I agree completely. But approaching weight loss as a purely caloric process, literally just a thing confined to your muscles and fat alone instead of a broader nutritional strategy, can have detrimental effects on your longterm health. He did lose weight, but he would have experienced other problems had he followed that diet longer than he did. If that’s the study I’m thinking of he even said that in an interview later.

Oh yeah, looking at calories alone is wayyyy too simplistic an approach when it comes to nutrition. The only point I really wanted to make is, despite what someone eats, it still boils down to calories in/calories out. I know some ppl who eat "healthy" foods only but still consume way too much of it and wonder why they aren't losing weight.

Absolutely.

What's ridiculous is having seen arguments from both sides of the topic, elsewhere, with neither side being willing to accept that they were actually arguing about different things, and being stubbornly boneheaded about it.

There are the hardcore, "It all comes down to calories in vs calories out" types, and the "a calorie is not just a calorie", and both are correct about different things.

Yes, in general, cutting a person's overall caloric intake to result in a daily campric deficit, will result in weight loss, but doing it with a healthy, balanced diet, matters.

There's also a difference with the body's insulin and hormonal response to different dietary intakes, not to mention ensuring a sufficient intake of all the essential vitamins and minerals.

Last edited:
I guess I should have said, switching from beer to whiskey, then whiskey to tequila probably accounted for about half of that weight. I have been pretty much just a beer drinker in my grown up dad phase, but at some point in the last year I stopped being able to drink beer without getting absurdly fat and bloated from it. Then pretty recently I hit a plateau and realized how much sugar was in the bourbon I had switched to, so I started drinking Casamigos and began dropping again. So cutting out the booze altogether is the logical and likely next step. As far as diet, I have tried to stop eating bread and sugar. Also have been doing some intermittent fasting during the work week. But I do eat an awful lot of fried chicken, and I eat like 20+ of those chewable vitamin C pills every day.

I guess I should have said, switching from beer to whiskey, then whiskey to tequila probably accounted for about half of that weight. I have been pretty much just a beer drinker in my grown up dad phase, but at some point in the last year I stopped being able to drink beer without getting absurdly fat and bloated from it. Then pretty recently I hit a plateau and realized how much sugar was in the bourbon I had switched to, so I started drinking Casamigos and began dropping again. So cutting out the booze altogether is the logical and likely next step. As far as diet, I have tried to stop eating bread and sugar. Also have been doing some intermittent fasting during the work week. But I do eat an awful lot of fried chicken, and I eat like 20+ of those chewable vitamin C pills every day.

Really hope you can kick the habit. I quit earlier this year and it can be quite difficult at first but was totally worth it. I don't have groggy mornings anymore and my wallet is a lot happier!

I'm sorry I was late with today's sale. I was on a fork truck with about 25,000 lbs on it and things weren't going real smoothly because of mud. Time got away from me and I couldn't really walk away there was a group of people waiting on me to set this machine down.

20201113_172222.jpg

can you believe they'll rent these to just anybody? This is a 36k lift that probably weighs close to 45,000 lb. You just call a guy and some dude delivers it to you, no different than ordering a pizza.

I'm sorry I was late with today's sale. I was on a fork truck with about 25,000 lbs on it and things weren't going real smoothly because of mud. Time got away from me and I couldn't really walk away there was a group of people waiting on me to set this machine down.

View attachment 1454572

can you believe they'll rent these to just anybody? This is a 36k lift that probably weighs close to 45,000 lb. You just call a guy and some dude delivers it to you, no different than ordering a pizza.
Looks like a well deserved beer! Cheers!

Back