Random Thought Thread

I’ve never really “gotten” donuts. It’s a little weird that they’ve become a thing. To me, the only donuts that were ever worth having were the sugar cinnamon donuts from the local cider mill. And you could only get those in the fall. Like... cronuts? Who even cares? Mystifying.

edit: Maybe someone here can explain the allure of cronuts.

I’ve never really “gotten” donuts. It’s a little weird that they’ve become a thing. To me, the only donuts that were ever worth having were the sugar cinnamon donuts from the local cider mill. And you could only get those in the fall. Like... cronuts? Who even cares? Mystifying.

edit: Maybe someone here can explain the allure of cronuts.
Um unless you are over a hundred, they have always been a thing. They are magically delicious, it's like trying to explain the divine. Here's an interesting article on the history of the donut.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/the-history-of-the-doughnut-150405177/

You folks have some weird laws about double edged things, don't you?:(

Didn't want to derail the K18 thread, but yes, correct...in fact it is worse than that here.
It is illegal to even carry a knife here (even an SAK) unless it is for work or recreation such as camping or hikes.
Fortunately my wife and I like to go bushwalking a lot ;)

But for that reason, any big knife is pretty redundant here unless you live rural or on a large farm property ( But we're city goers...). Even where lawful, if you carried something larger than 8" camping or such and were around other people, you'd get a real funny look.

Australia is a beautiful country, but it is hard to collect here and even harder to find other knife lovers.

Behold the Blade of Woe!
bnhUfjs.jpg

Didn't want to derail the K18 thread, but yes, correct...in fact it is worse than that here.
It is illegal to even carry a knife here (even an SAK) unless it is for work or recreation such as camping or hikes.
Fortunately my wife and I like to go bushwalking a lot ;)

But for that reason, any big knife is pretty redundant here unless you live rural or on a large farm property ( But we're city goers...). Even where lawful, if you carried something larger than 8" camping or such and were around other people, you'd get a real funny look.

Australia is a beautiful country, but it is hard to collect here and even harder to find other knife lovers.
Ouch. Just out of curiosity, how long have these 'no carry' laws been around? I wonder if I was unknowingly breaking the laws when I visited a few decades ago? I've been in the habit of carrying a SAK in my pocket ever since I first got one as a kid.

As for not carrying anything longer than 8" even out in the bush... when I was in the cub scouts, at one point, I carried a Buck 119 on my belt AND a 24" Tramontina machete that was longer than my arm back then lol.

Also tried carrying a kukri in place of the machete for a bit while in the scouts. Eventually settled on the Large Camp Knife in the 9-10" blade range, as my do-all outdoors knife.

Ouch. Just out of curiosity, how long have these 'no carry' laws been around? I wonder if I was unknowingly breaking the laws when I visited a few decades ago? I've been in the habit of carrying a SAK in my pocket ever since I first got one as a kid.

As for not carrying anything longer than 8" even out in the bush... when I was in the cub scouts, at one point, I carried a Buck 119 on my belt AND a 24" Tramontina machete that was longer than my arm back then lol.

Also tried carrying a kukri in place of the machete for a bit while in the scouts. Eventually settled on the Large Camp Knife in the 9-10" blade range, as my do-all outdoors knife.
I am not entirely sure but you well and truly could have been. I am nearly 30 and cannot remember a time where it was ok to carry a knife.
I think a SAK would be dependant on the person.
I work at a school and we went on an excursion to parliament house. A fellow teacher gave security his SAK that was on his keychain before entering and got it back no problem at the end of the day.

On the other hand, when I was a young punk smoking 'green tobacco' (also illegal) with a friend in this car, we got spotted and pulled up by a cop. The cop asked if there was anything else in the car that shouldnt be. My friend said he had a SAK his brother got him as a gift. He went to reach for it and the cop raised his voice and said something like "NO, I WILL GET IT", as if it were some murdery weapon and we were dangerous criminals. He then made us stand out of the car with our hands on the hood of his while we wrote us up... ridiculous. And that was having a knife inside a car...
My friend wasn't charged but he got a good earful and warning.

I carry a folder in a med kit in my boot though. A few years back I saw a car flip upside down and a lady trapped. I couldnt get her seatbelt off her and it took a while to free her. Never been without a knife now, but it is tucked away in my boot in my medkit, so I think it can be justified. So it is all so dependant on the reason, place and authority that pulls you up on it.

I'd love to carry and get use to a larger blade like you mentioned. All i have is an cheap beater which stayed at my parents as I got married. I used to use it to chop up the palm branches that fell off the tree, so it could fit in the bin. But otherwise, I just cant get much use out of a big blade, as fun as I think they'd be. My largest knife is my Utility fighter kept safely at my home in case of worse case scenario, but otherwise my cpk edc for bushwalks and dek for camping does the trick. I envy you guys who can edc knives. Then again my collection is refined and minimal because I dont get the fun of carrying/mixing up what I have on me nearly as much haha

Last edited:
Back