Random Thought Thread

I forgot how much fun picking locks can be...pretty rewarding when you get the click:)

View attachment 1514914
I found the term 'hardware hacking' quite amusing.

First lock I ever taught myself to pick was a lock for sliding glass display cases that I randomly found by the roadside while walking home.

Didn't help that I was trying to single pick it with the screwdriver on my Swiss Army Knife. I could feel the pins, but trying to hit them and turn the lock simultaneously AND being the first time ever trying to pick a lock...

Took 3-4 hours to open it the first time. About 45 minutes the 2nd time, but I'd begun to develop the 'feel'. Kept working on it until I could open it in 5 seconds or less.

After that, I tried picking any lock that screwdriver would fit in, starting with my mom's car. I think it only took 15 minutes to pick it the first time, but again I kept practicing until I could do it in 5 seconds or less. When I was old enough to drive, I tried it on friend's cars. Quickly became the go-to guy for anyone who locked their keys in the car. Lol.

New cell phone is going to be here tomorrow. I am quite embarrassed that I spend money on a new phone, when I could spend them on knives.

Mine is on the blink. I was looking at phones yesterday and the prices(!) they get. Holy crap! My current phone has been replaced on warranty, twice, and the last time they said they wouldn't ever be able to do it again because it was no longer supported. It an S5 or something that I like because it takes amazing photos. I have to bite the bullet now and upgrade. Trouble is, I don't want the newest one out. I want the one that is almost out of date. And I don't eve want to pay that much.

My last phone (iPhone7+) was basically being digitally 187’d by new software updates. It seemed as the latest versions of phones came out, mine would keep getting more and more glitchy. Features wouldn’t work correctly and the battery life took a major crap, almost overnight it seemed when the 12’s came out.

I planned to just ride it out as long as possible but that all ended when I finally dropped it and shattered the screen a couple months back. It was going to cost more to fix than it was worth to trade in or sell, even if I did it myself. Now that I have a new one (iphone12) I’m kind of glad I dropped the old one. It was becoming a daily inconvenience with it not working correctly. They are expensive as hell now but so far it’s been worth it!

New cell phone is going to be here tomorrow. I am quite embarrassed that I spend money on a new phone, when I could spend them on knives.

Woooo new cell phone day!

I recently got a new phone and it is GLORIOUS. It's not even a flagship phone but it's already so much better than my last one. My last phone was from 2016 on its last legs. It literally had to be plugged in constantly or else it would shut off in 30-60min (depending on its mood that day) so it was forever plugged into the wall or married to a powerbank for the last few months of its life.

It's funny, I am not that old (27) and it's quite drastic how the cell phone evolved. I remember when phones with 3 MPix cameras were top of the line and iPhone was not even a thing.
Now you get like 40 MPix combined, with full HD display and as powerful processor as a PC a few years ago.

It's funny, I am not that old (27) and it's quite drastic how the cell phone evolved. I remember when phones with 3 MPix cameras were top of the line and iPhone was not even a thing.
Now you get like 40 MPix combined, with full HD display and as powerful processor as a PC a few years ago.

I don't understand slamming so many megapixels into such a tiny sensor. It's about pixel SIZE, not the sheer number of them.

My PC so old that my current phone has greater processing power and just as much RAM lol

My last phone (iPhone7+) was basically being digitally 187’d by new software updates. It seemed as the latest versions of phones came out, mine would keep getting more and more glitchy. Features wouldn’t work correctly and the battery life took a major crap, almost overnight it seemed when the 12’s came out.

I planned to just ride it out as long as possible but that all ended when I finally dropped it and shattered the screen a couple months back. It was going to cost more to fix than it was worth to trade in or sell, even if I did it myself. Now that I have a new one (iphone12) I’m kind of glad I dropped the old one. It was becoming a daily inconvenience with it not working correctly. They are expensive as hell now but so far it’s been worth it!
Did you mean digitally 86'd?

I remember mobile phones before they became glorified digital cameras. :D I tend to keep them for many years before replacing. Went directly from a Samsung S4 to an S10. Phone works exactly the same, but I have to admit the camera is MUCH better! LOL.

That's why I put it in the calendar of my cell phone and also set two alarms!

Quoted from The Next Sale thread:

That’s a good practice, but I don’t normally have to set reminders for myself for things I obsess over. My priorities got rearranged real quick. I would have loved to score a dagger, but I’m perfectly fine with the outcome.

Finally got into the new house a couple months ago, almost completely unpacked and realized we somehow lost most of our pots and pans. Fortunately all my cast iron is there but no saute pans or sauce pots.
Any of you home chefs use All-Clad? Worth it? I am looking at the copper core fwiw

I have no experience with All Clad, but I have been looking at them as well. It’s time for a new set of pots and pans, but that’s an investment, and I know I would have a hard time justifying that to my wife. She’s real frugal. I know, there are worse things to complain about!

Finally got into the new house a couple months ago, almost completely unpacked and realized we somehow lost most of our pots and pans. Fortunately all my cast iron is there but no saute pans or sauce pots.
Any of you home chefs use All-Clad? Worth it? I am looking at the copper core fwiw
We have had our All-Clad pans for 20 years and have definitely got our money's worth. We have their old top line anodized aluminum pans that they don't make any more. Not sure about the copper core. I don't think their copper layer is that thick - maybe only 1 or 1.5 mm (?) When I wanted a copper core pan a few years ago I went with Mauviel M'Heritage M250C, and I have been happy with that.

Now I am all about carbon steel pans. Bought some de Buyer Mineral line carbon steel pans a couple of years ago and have not looked back. If you are used to cast iron (which I used for years), I think you'll love carbon steel. Pretty much all the benefits of cast iron but lighter and low maintenance.

Good luck!

Back