Random Thought Thread

I like ours, but cleaning SS pans is a pain if you scorch anything. I'm probably no expert, and if this is my only problem I'm probably doing something wrong. Ease of cleaning may not be a thing if you are better than me at cooking stuff.

Love my cast iron!

It can make deep dish pizza that will blow your mind.

HjPyJXdl.jpg

May I kindly ask that unrelated chatting in the Next Sale Thread be minimized or if possible avoided altogether? If you learn the "Quote" feature, you can pretty much respond to any outlier post in there by inserting that Quote in here (Random Thread) and then have at it as much as you'd like. Thank you. #stillnotnathan

Appreciate the responses guys, thank you
I like ours, but cleaning SS pans is a pain if you scorch anything. I'm probably no expert, and if this is my only problem I'm probably doing something wrong. Ease of cleaning may not be a thing if you are better than me at cooking stuff.
Love my cast iron!
I definitely favor cast iron for most things but my wife cant seem to use it very well. She is also having to learn to cook with gas for the 1st time so that is giving her some issues.
So the scorching thing may actually be quite an issue, thank you. Definitely going to take that into consideration.
We have had our All-Clad pans for 20 years and have definitely got our money's worth. We have their old top line anodized aluminum pans that they don't make any more. Not sure about the copper core. I don't think their copper layer is that thick - maybe only 1 or 1.5 mm (?) When I wanted a copper core pan a few years ago I went with Mauviel M'Heritage M250C, and I have been happy with that.
Now I am all about carbon steel pans. Bought some de Buyer Mineral line carbon steel pans a couple of years ago and have not looked back. If you are used to cast iron (which I used for years), I think you'll love carbon steel. Pretty much all the benefits of cast iron but lighter and low maintenance.
Good luck!
I just now looked into those per your recommendation, I am going to have to try those out. I have 3 old Grizwolds my Dad re-seasoned for me 10 years ago and I love them. But they are some heavy SOB's, the No 14 is a 2 hander for me. Many thanks!

ETA: The wife gets her All-clad and I picked myself up De Buyer Mineral B Country Fry pan:thumbsup:. I might fry some chicken :D
Also that pizza looked delicious, onions and pepperoni is great combo!

Last edited:
Lorien, I've said this before but I'll say it again: you can write very nicely and very articulately. I know that at times you banter and get scrappy with the hoodlum mixing it up in their own vernacular, but you are quite an impressive lad. And no, I don't want anything. This luv is free and just for you :)

Finally got into the new house a couple months ago, almost completely unpacked and realized we somehow lost most of our pots and pans. Fortunately all my cast iron is there but no saute pans or sauce pots.
Any of you home chefs use All-Clad? Worth it? I am looking at the copper core fwiw

We were gifted an All-Clad lasagna pan and it's really nice. I have no idea if it has a copper core (It does have that thicker base though) but it's super solid and we use it to bake a ton of things (not just lasagna). That said, I'm not sold on switching everything over (yet) due to cost but I would gladly accept more as gifts lol

Edit: Looked it up and ours doesn't have a copper core.

It's OK, it would have been really cool, but I discovered recently that I also really need a Spartan Harsey Folder even though I don't super love the design just because the 2020 Plague Doctor special edition needs to be a commemorative for the 'rona, and I've got a line on some coming in...

I picked up a Plague Doctor with a damascus blade, and I assumed that I wouldn't use it much (decorative, pretty, and I already have a SHF and a broad selection of Harsey designed folders), but I'll be darned if that thing doesn't just keep up riding around in my pocket. It is so cool, beautiful, and detailed in person. I just can't help myself. It even ended up being the knife I had on me when I bagged my thanksgiving turkey.

full

We were gifted an All-Clad lasagna pan and it's really nice. I have no idea if it has a copper core (It does have that thicker base though) but it's super solid and we use it to bake a ton of things (not just lasagna). That said, I'm not sold on switching everything over (yet) due to cost but I would gladly accept more as gifts lol

Edit: Looked it up and ours doesn't have a copper core.
Haha! I would definitely be putting it on the Christmas list if we closer to the season.
We went for it though, reviews online were very good and Costco had a "great" deal on a nice set. But I always appreciate the opinions of this lot. And if I manage to land a shot at a K-18 in the future,I shouldn't be receiving
any spousal resistance

Finally got into the new house a couple months ago, almost completely unpacked and realized we somehow lost most of our pots and pans. Fortunately all my cast iron is there but no saute pans or sauce pots.
Any of you home chefs use All-Clad? Worth it? I am looking at the copper core fwiw

My wife picked up a set of hard anodized aluminum exterior stainless steel interior All-Clad pots and pans a few years back (she decided that she really didn't want us using non-stick coating pans). I have really learned to love them. I really like how quickly and evenly they heat up, but still manage a decent thermal mass. I also got into cast iron since I wanted something with a more non-stick surface and for making steaks and such.

But I have found that as I get to know the ins and outs of stainless pans, I use the cast iron less and less. The stainless is just more forgiving and lets me use metal implements and such. There is definitely a learning curve. One thing that I have found with the stainless is that if you heat up the pan (medium, not too hot) and use the right amount of butter, I actually have an easier time getting my eggs not to stick in the All-Clad pans than in my cast-iron.

One tip that has really helped me, is when you are done cooking with the stainless steel pan, deglaze it with water on the burner. Everything scrapes right off super easily, and then you basically just have to rinse the pan out and voila, it is clean.

But if you don't have time, you can always just let it soak with soapy water (can't do that with cast iron). And you can stick the pans in the oven, just like a cast iron. You don't need to be careful about what cooking tools you use. And I have found that a chain mail scrubber is an absolute godsend for dealing with more baked on/scorched stuff on the stainless cookware.

I was not a fan right at the start because I had spent my whole life cooking with teflon, but I am definitely a convert now. I am very glad my wife picked up the All-Clad set she got. They are spendy, but worth it in my opinion (of course, I'm also the kind of guy who buys CPK knives, so clearly I am willing to pay a premium for performance).

My next pan purchase will definitely be a carbon steel pan, I want to try one. I imagine it is another steep learning curve, but what I have read and seen sounds interesting to me, and I would love a lighter seasoned pan.

Love my cast iron!

HjPyJXdl.jpg

That looks good. For cleaning SS, there is this and ONLY this:

Essendant%20Inc_BKF11510_01.jpg

Appreciate the responses guys, thank you

I definitely favor cast iron for most things but my wife cant seem to use it very well. She is also having to learn to cook with gas for the 1st time so that is giving her some issues.
So the scorching thing may actually be quite an issue, thank you. Definitely going to take that into consideration.

I just now looked into those per your recommendation, I am going to have to try those out. I have 3 old Grizwolds my Dad re-seasoned for me 10 years ago and I love them. But they are some heavy SOB's, the No 14 is a 2 hander for me. Many thanks!

ETA: The wife gets her All-clad and I picked myself up De Buyer Mineral B Country Fry pan:thumbsup:. I might fry some chicken :D
Also that pizza looked delicious, onions and pepperoni is great combo!
1) Griswolds are DA BOMB! I have a couple and they really just don't make them like that anymore (OK, **maybe** Stargazer). Wagner and Birmingham are a couple of other great vintage pans, if you can find them at a yard sale or such.

2) I love pan-fried chicken cooked in my cast iron skillet and bacon lard, peanut oil or even shortening. Really the best fried chicken ever to me. It's even better if I can get someone else to cook it and clean it up for me. :D

The stainless is just more forgiving and lets me use metal implements and such.

We have a couple Le Creuset pots and rarely use them because we feel like we have to baby them. 9 times out of 10, we use our clad stainless steel pots (not All-Clad brand).

I need to learn how to use SS pans more effectively. We still really enjoy using stick-free pans for sticky stuff like eggs. What's the trick to cooking eggs on stainless steel without them acting like fast fixing super glue?

We have a couple Le Creuset pots and rarely use them because we feel like we have to baby them. 9 times out of 10, we use our clad stainless steel pots (not All-Clad brand).

I need to learn how to use SS pans more effectively. We still really enjoy using stick-free pans for sticky stuff like eggs. What's the trick to cooking eggs on stainless steel without them acting like fast fixing super glue?
This may not be the answer but this method of cooking scrambled eggs mostly alleviated this problem for me, plus i use a shitload of butter as well as a little cream cheese.
Also these are a little runny for me so I cook them a little longer than Gordy does here. They almost always come right out, steel, cast iron, even the scan pan.
For me the Scan pan, which is mostly a great non stick pan, was horrible for egg stick

This may not be the answer but this method of cooking scrambled eggs mostly alleviated this problem for me, plus i use a shitload of butter as well as a little cream cheese.
Also these are a little runny for me so I cook them a little longer than Gordy does here

Say no more. You had me at "shitload of butter"

I love runny eggs haha It's not for everyone but that's my jam.......egg jam on toast lol

I don't know if I am explaining this well, but:
1. Preheat the pan to medium, too hot is not good for the eggs and they will scorch on, too cool and they might cool the pan down too much and stick that way. The pores of the pan open up if it cools too far, and that grabs at the stuff you are cooking. That is fine for chicken or pork because then you develop a nice fond, but you don't want a fond with eggs.

2. Melt your butter (my wife uses olive oil), get it hot, but not smoking. My wife actually taught me how to do the eggs right in stainless. I'm usually the cook of the family, but we can all learn new tricks.

3. Ideally, let your eggs warm up before you cook them, but I never actually do this.

4. If you are scrambling, make sure you do it in a bowl and add the eggs to the pan from the bowl, don't scramble them in the pan with a spatula. I let the initial side get well established before I flip and start the rest of the eggs cooking, but that is just preference.

4a. For sunny side up or over eggs, it is best if you can do them from a bowl as well, the big thing is that you want the eggs to come down on top of the oil, you don't want them pushing through to the metal. Then just cook normally.

With some practice it works pretty well.

I picked up a Plague Doctor with a damascus blade, and I assumed that I wouldn't use it much (decorative, pretty, and I already have a SHF and a broad selection of Harsey designed folders), but I'll be darned if that thing doesn't just keep up riding around in my pocket. It is so cool, beautiful, and detailed in person. I just can't help myself. It even ended up being the knife I had on me when I bagged my thanksgiving turkey.

full

Yes. That. That is what I need.

Stainless pans is all we use anymore. Once you figure out how to use them.....nothing compares.

We dont even own any other kind of pan.

Ours aren't all clad. I offered to buy my wife a full set of whatever she wanted and she turned me down because she understands the pans she uses now.

But yeah, SS pans......love them.

Quoted from The Next Sale thread:

That’s a good practice, but I don’t normally have to set reminders for myself for things I obsess over. My priorities got rearranged real quick. I would have loved to score a dagger, but I’m perfectly fine with the outcome.

I set the alarms in case I fall asleep.

Back