Random Thought Thread

Hmmm... burgeoning new market for CPK:
CPK carbon steel HDFP (Heavy Duty Frying Pan).

Featuring Nathan, the evil genius's world renowned meticulous research on optimal heat treats to produce a virtually indestructible pan that's tough as enough to stir fry nails. Can also be used to turn cinder blocks 4" thick concrete with aggregate into rubble, if needed.

Obviously, it includes the handle refinements Nathan and CPK are famous for, with an incredibly comfortable and ergonomic grip optimized for multiple hand positions, with the flexibility to choke up on the grip in the horizontal cooking position for flipping heavier omelets or pancakes, or to switch to the power grip for a better swing in the 'smack you with a frying pan' hold, without worrying about the handle slipping out of your grasp (hidden wrist lanyard hole included).

:p

Hmmm... burgeoning new market for CPK:
CPK carbon steel HDFP (Heavy Duty Frying Pan).

Featuring Nathan, the evil genius's world renowned meticulous research on optimal heat treats to produce a virtually indestructible pan that's tough as enough to stir fry nails. Can also be used to turn cinder blocks 4" thick concrete with aggregate into rubble, if needed.

Obviously, it includes the handle refinements Nathan and CPK are famous for, with an incredibly comfortable and ergonomic grip optimized for multiple hand positions, with the flexibility to choke up on the grip in the horizontal cooking position for flipping heavier omelets or pancakes, or to switch to the power grip for a better swing in the 'smack you with a frying pan' hold, without worrying about the handle slipping out of your grasp (hidden wrist lanyard hole included).

:p
Do you think there is enough interest for a pre- order, popsicle stick handle option?:eek::D

This may not be the answer but this method of cooking scrambled eggs mostly alleviated this problem for me, plus i use a shitload of butter as well as a little cream cheese.
Also these are a little runny for me so I cook them a little longer than Gordy does here. They almost always come right out, steel, cast iron, even the scan pan.
For me the Scan pan, which is mostly a great non stick pan, was horrible for egg stick
I've been cooking them that way for years now. And like you, I cook them just a tad longer than Gordo. Don't always have creme freche on hand, so I substitute Devon cream, or even a dollop of whipped cream cheese like you.

BTW, I love how he burns the toast. LOL!

For eggs and only for eggs, I use a Calphalon nonstick pan. Best I've found as a combination of performance and durability - more durable than the All-Clad non-stick pans I've had. Pro Tip: NEVER use high heat on a non-stick pan. Nothing above medium heat ever.

Last edited:
I’ve used a 3L La Creuset saucier pot for just about everything for almost ten years. For the first two years it was the only pot I had. You should give them a try instead of keeping them clean. They are really nice with very even heat. I’ve browned thousands of onions in mine and the bottom is black but it still cooks wonderfully.

I've been cooking them that way for years now. And like you, I cook them just a tad longer than Gordo. Don't always have creme freche on hand, so I substitute Devon cream, or even a dollop of whipped cream cheese like you.

BTW, I love how he burns the toast. LOL!

For eggs and only for eggs, I use a Calphalon nonstick pan. Best I've found as a combination of performance and durability - more durable than the All-Clad non-stick pans I've had. Pro Tip: NEVER use high heat on a non-stick pan. Nothing above medium heat ever.
Oh man, they are so good that way!
I have used sour cream a few times and it works pretty well. But Im going to have to try with creme fraiche, that sounds tasty.
And yea the toast thing is great, lol!
Whenever I bring the link up I always get a chuckle out of the video

Oh wow that sounds lovely!
Any pictures :) ?
I came across one while out at our local gardening store and maaaan...they are so cool. But very nichè and I need to do more research before getting one
I wish, that was like 30 years ago...pretty sure I got it not to long after Karate Kid came out. The new place definitely needs a couple bonsai trees hanging out...gonna have to see if anything local is available for reasonable prices.

that's the only Hawaiian island I've ever been on. Went mountain biking there if you can believe it. When that red earth gets wet, it's no better than ice. We had the family set us up with a time share place and air miles, but travelled with our two year old and it wasn't the greatest trip of all time. Beautiful damn place, once you get away from the crappy resort area

Really, you were here?! When? Give a holler next time! Did you do the canyon rim trail? That's the best riding on the island. Everything else is pretty extreme terrain: vertical and technical, off camber and rocky and rooty as f*ck. I used to ride a lot, did most of my riding near my place, ride out from my door five minutes to the mountain, hike two hours up with the bike on my back and bomb down in five minutes. Some pedalable stuff at lower altitudes. When I get some time I'll look for some pics. Now I'm lucky if I get out to the flat cement coastal path on the east side a couple times a month. Pretty sweet for what it is. Here's sunrise from the path the other day:

IMG_4308.jpg

There's some awesome riding in Maui, some pure downhill from the top of the cinder cone at 10k'+ to about 2k', (riding on the cinders is really weird, kinda like floating), plenty of amazing slopestyle trails full of features, XC, and I hear now one or two pump tracks. Go there for Hawai`i biking. Come here for beaches.

I wish, that was like 30 years ago...pretty sure I got it not to long after Karate Kid came out. The new place definitely needs a couple bonsai trees hanging out...gonna have to see if anything local is available for reasonable prices.
Ahh haha classic. Karate kid was a childhood favourite of mine also. But yes pics if you do!
I was thinking of doing the same. I saw one a few a couple weeks ago and was absolutely facinated. Such intricate little things.
I need another hobby to compliment this one :D

Anyone into bonsais?

I wanted one for a while. Looked into the care, etc. Realized I didn't have the time or inclination to bother. They need a bit of care. Trimming at the right time. Wires to get shapes you want. Re-potting religiously. Fertilizers. It's a whole ordeal. They are pretty tho. I loved the cherry blossom, as it's quintessential japanese (imo), Junipers coz you can make them look super ancient and cool, and Bougainvillea for the crazy amounts of flowers. Maples and pines are more the inexperienced/beginners.

Anyone into bonsais?
Neighbor had quite a few when I was a kid. They look really cool, but seemed to take a lot of work. (No, he wasn't the one who I learned karate from :D).

Maybe that's where my impression of, "only for retirees, to stay busy" comes from.

P.S.
My dad tried his hand at it after we moved. It didn't really look like a miniature tree... before it died.

Nathan, see Josh from REK's response to my question about DLC coating an FK2. Thoughts? Has anyone here DLC coated one of your knives?

"Yeah, I'm taking orders for a batch now... You would need to check with Nathan to make sure the temper would be fine, my DLC is applied at 500F."

Nathan has already responded but I just wanted to add:

I almost went down the same rabbit hole a while ago going back and forth with Josh before he became a full time maker with his own knife projects. I gather that he may not be taking in new projects for new clients but he may still be doing some continued work for prior repeat clients.

Josh does excellent work on CPKs and probably the only person outside of CPK who a few in here trust with extracurricular work on CPKs such as adding swedge, adding satin finish and doing acid wash. Of course doing these with CPK directly if offered is the best way to go but those options are not overtly always available. If you like a less reflective blade, ask Josh about his acid wash service if you can not get that directly from CPK. AW is not as durable as DLC but to me, it’s a great alternative which will not compromise the secret sauce HT.

Nathan has already responded but I just wanted to add:

I almost went down the same rabbit hole a while ago going back and forth with Josh before he became a full time maker with his own knife projects. I gather that he may not be taking in new projects for new clients but he may still be doing some continued work for prior repeat clients.

Josh does excellent work on CPKs and probably the only person outside of CPK who a few in here trust with extracurricular work on CPKs such as adding swedge, adding satin finish and doing acid wash. Of course doing these with CPK directly if offered is the best way to go but those options are not overtly always available. If you like a less reflective blade, ask Josh about his acid wash service if you can not get that directly from CPK. AW is not as durable as DLC but to me, it’s a great alternative which will not compromise the secret sauce HT.
I remember asking about DLC coatings some time back, and my conclusion was that the only possibility was to potentially have it done prior to the heat treat (like Chip doing the engraving on CPKs, but that might only be a possibility on a preorder if Nathan was amenable), and that ultimately the juice wasn't worth the squeeze.

Back