Random Thought Thread

Better yet . . . Beer and Sausages.

BTTvavXl.jpg

Anyone for a multi-tool CPK folder???

What's the trick to cooking eggs on stainless steel without them acting like fast fixing super glue?

The trick is to put them back in the cabinet and grab a non-stick pan. Seriously though, I have All-Chad stainless pans, Lodge Cast Iron skillets, and a couple of Staub dutch ovens, but I still use a non-stick pan for eggs. I have never been able to get a good enough seasoning on my Lodge pans to do eggs. Non-stick just works. I use half butter, and half bacon grease in an Oxo non-stick pan for over-easy eggs and they come out amazing. Sprinkle a little Penzey's Pepper (I don't care for their politics, but they make a damn good pepper!) and Danish Viking Smoked Salt on them and you have the best egg you will ever eat.

https://www.salttraders.com/danish-viking-smoked-sea-salt-our-exclusive/

https://www.penzeys.com/online-catalog/penzeys-pepper/c-24/p-1927/pd-s

Neighbor had quite a few when I was a kid. They look really cool, but seemed to take a lot of work. (No, he wasn't the one who I learned karate from :D).

Maybe that's where my impression of, "only for retirees, to stay busy" comes from.

P.S.
My dad tried his hand at it after we moved. It didn't really look like a miniature tree... before it died.

I wanted one for a while. Looked into the care, etc. Realized I didn't have the time or inclination to bother. They need a bit of care. Trimming at the right time. Wires to get shapes you want. Re-potting religiously. Fertilizers. It's a whole ordeal. They are pretty tho. I loved the cherry blossom, as it's quintessential japanese (imo), Junipers coz you can make them look super ancient and cool, and Bougainvillea for the crazy amounts of flowers. Maples and pines are more the inexperienced/beginners.
I watched a few videos and yep wow, they sure do need a lotttt of work!
I am sure i'd kill a few before I got anything of substance.
Maybe I just buy an established one. I saw a few at around the $100 mark
Not quite as impressive as one that sold in Japan for more than $900,000 o_O but it would be a start :p

Really, you were here?! When? Give a holler next time! Did you do the canyon rim trail? That's the best riding on the island. Everything else is pretty extreme terrain: vertical and technical, off camber and rocky and rooty as f*ck. I used to ride a lot, did most of my riding near my place, ride out from my door five minutes to the mountain, hike two hours up with the bike on my back and bomb down in five minutes. Some pedalable stuff at lower altitudes. When I get some time I'll look for some pics. Now I'm lucky if I get out to the flat cement coastal path on the east side a couple times a month. Pretty sweet for what it is. Here's sunrise from the path the other day:

View attachment 1515556

There's some awesome riding in Maui, some pure downhill from the top of the cinder cone at 10k'+ to about 2k', (riding on the cinders is really weird, kinda like floating), plenty of amazing slopestyle trails full of features, XC, and I hear now one or two pump tracks. Go there for Hawai`i biking. Come here for beaches.
it's really unlikely I'll ever be back, but I never say never! I appreciate the invite though
the place I rode was on the edge of this big canyon I want to say at the south end of the island. My buddy, Chris, told me it was the most extreme trail. That was about 14 years ago

I watched a few videos and yep wow, they sure do need a lotttt of work!
I am sure i'd kill a few before I got anything of substance.
Maybe I just buy an established one. I saw a few at around the $100 mark
Not quite as impressive as one that sold in Japan for more than $900,000 o_O but it would be a start :p
Wow... I just Googled, "Most expensive bonsai ever sold".

$1,300,000 :eek:

I guess it's understandable, since it's supposedly ~800 years old. That's a LOT of care for a ridiculously long time. After that many generations in a family, I'm actually surprised it would ever be sold.

If you think about it, $1,625/year for tending to it isn't too bad :p

I think we'll do two versions of the new upcoming SDFK. The idea behind this knife was a full 1/4" thick unbreakable saber ground blade that can cut bolts without taking much damage to distribute on Amazon in order to reach a new demographic of folks who want a good heavy duty knife but aren't knife nuts.

1. The basic version for Amazon distribution that will be in the ~$250 price point. As-milled and tumbled and super basic and stripped of some details that we're known for in order reach that price point but well designed and Delta 3V to introduce the unwashed masses to our brand.

2. The signature series that will be around $350. This is a little less than the HDFK was for a little longer blade, but without fullers. The primary grinds would be thinned a little and get an S grind before tumble and it would get the weight reduction features such as a swedge at the tip and skeletonizing in the tang and be more carefully balanced, though probably not quite as brilliant as the HDFK. It would also get the big chamfers and jimping that have become characteristic for our knives.

...somebody had asked earlier and I said I'd need to think on it. Well, I thought on it...

Pre-orders on the Signature SDFK when??? :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Random thought:

A few years back, I helped a non-hardcore knife guy friend (older), who had been impressed by my Light Chopper land one of his own. He doesn't use it as often as he would like, but he is quite fond of it. He recently told me and some other folks that he would like to be buried with it. I can't think of a better endorsement of the quality of Nathan's work.

(Note: while this friend is older, he is in awfully good shape, and if his family is any indication, burial is still decades away. So don't be planning any grave robbing.)

Random thought:

A few years back, I helped a non-hardcore knife guy friend (older), who had been impressed by my Light Chopper land one of his own. He doesn't use it as often as he would like, but he is quite fond of it. He recently told me and some other folks that he would like to be buried with it. I can't think of a better endorsement of the quality of Nathan's work.

(Note: while this friend is older, he is in awfully good shape, and if his family is any indication, burial is still decades away. So don't be planning any grave robbing.)

Imagine the archaeologist in 10,000 years.

"Hey, check out this bad a$$ knife I found! Holy chit, is it sharp!"

2) I love pan-fried chicken cooked in my cast iron skillet and bacon lard, peanut oil or even shortening. Really the best fried chicken ever to me. It's even better if I can get someone else to cook it and clean it up for me. :D
I've been dreaming of fried chicken all week!
2 more days until the weekend, I've lined up some bacon grease from a reputable source, and I'm going to start the brine tomorrow. Pumped!:D

Back