Random Thought Thread

Are you looking for a military watch specifically

It doesn’t have to be billeted as a “military watch,” but I want it to have pretty much the same features as a military watch would (aside from the “lowest bidder” quality). It’s going to be used in the field, not an office. The sea master looks awesome, but I don’t know that it will fit the environment (I have a coworker who wears a Rolex and it is REALLY out of place at work). It seems that watches that run in the $1k+ tend to be built more for the acclaim of wearing the brand rather than playing in the mud. But I’m bored with G-shocks/Garmins and want my primary to not rely on electricity.

Oh boy, watches..... Every person has its own point of diminishing returns, but for me really, I can't really see spending more then 150 € on watches.
I have a Casio of some sort, it's working, it's shows you time, it has alarm and stopwatch. And that's all I need.
Nothing wrong with spending lotta cash money on watches, but.....nothing for me.

StoneAndSteel StoneAndSteel may I recommend the Hamilton Khaki Field Mechanical? 38mm, 24 hr dial, decent movement (I think an ETA), and a nice historical background.

Or, perhaps, the Citizen Eco-Drive 180 Day-Date? Eco-Drives are rather robust and it's cost effective enough to replace if needed.
Good choice! It is an eta derivative movement. You can get them in 42mm as well. Even a titanium version now and they are well under 1k.

QuUXRZC.jpg

Last edited:
Oh boy, watches..... Every person has its own point of diminishing returns, but for me really, I can't really see spending more then 150 € on watches.
I have a Casio of some sort, it's working, it's shows you time, it has alarm and stopwatch. And that's all I need.
Nothing wrong with spending lotta cash money on watches, but.....nothing for me.
Spending more than that is with I suppose a very few exceptions buying jewelry. I don’t really see a problem with that. I’m not interested in a diamond pinky ring or heavy precious metal chain or any of the other “masculine” jewelry options out there but I would like to get an heirloom quality mechanical watch some day.

Back