Random Thought Thread

It's the yellow jackets that are the evil little kamikazes around these parts. I can deal with the hornets, since there are fewer of 'em. The others are treacherous little bastards. But I always pay them back in spades.
Yep. Yellow jackets are the worst. I have history with them. They almost killed me (like 100+? stings) when I was 5. I'm entitled to hate them forever, and I do.

Yep. Yellow jackets are the worst. I have history with them. They almost killed me (like 100+? stings) when I was 5. I'm entitled to hate them forever, and I do.
When I see them, I look at 'em and say...

tombstone-im-your-huckleberry.gif

Thanks Jo. Glad someone is looking out for me.
...to be clear, those hornets weren't dead when I tied the string to them...

I caught them in a jar last night. They weren't looking great this morning but they were still moving. I knocked them out with chloroform so I could tie some string to them with the hope of being able to follow them through the woods and find the hive. Didn't work. But at least now I have some giant hornets on a string which is pretty cool.

When I see them, I look at 'em and say...

tombstone-im-your-huckleberry.gif
Thank you.

I run away... :(

I kid... and get kidded about them. There are moments though they still genuinely frighten me to this day. Is that a trigger? I don't know. Sometimes I wonder if there is some kind of hypno-therapy. But then I figure for me it's probably a good thing. I am now terribly allergic to them. I don't need to be around them.

Thank you.

I kid... and get kidded about them. There are moments though they still genuinely frighten me to this day. Is that a trigger? I don't know. Sometimes I wonder if there is some kind of hypno-therapy. But then I figure for me it's probably a good thing. I am now terribly allergic to them. I don't need to be around them.
I won't even touch the dead ones.

Thank you.

I hope you keep an Epi-Pen or other quick working tool nearby.

make a graph. itll be an encouraging thing to watch dots and lines connect upwards.

I havent ifted for a while either and I miss being able to eat whatever and have it turn into muscle. hahah.

good luck!
Thanks! 😁 Don't really need a graph, though.

One of the best things about lifting regularly, is how easy it is to track strength gains (I also use skinfold calipers along with the weight scale so I can track body composition and lean mass gains).

I know how much I could lift, and for how many reps in a row for any given exercise when I first started trying to see how much strength I could regain, and can compare it easily to where I am now vs last week vs last month vs last year.

Depending on the exercise/muscle group, my strength was down about 50% in general, compared to my peak strength ~20-25 years ago. When it came to the injuries I'd incurred, it was even worse, (needing to start with 10% or less of what I used to be able to lift).

I'm currently around 70-75% of peak strength for most lifts. It's taken quite a while to PT some of the injuries and still working on some of those injuries.

It's quite possible I'll never get back to 100%, but being 50% stronger than when I (re)started 4 years ago (including wasted time from training injuries incurred from being stupid/overly enthusiastic/impatient when I initially got back into it) is definitely encouraging, and I'm going to keep at it to see how close I can get back to 100%.

A few days ago Jo noticed that our house was being swarmed by giant hornets trying to get in. I looked out the window and there were five of them flying into it.

OIrhAsT.jpg

This window here didn't even have light to attract them

GBYaORr.jpg

They were covering the house and trying to get in. It weirded me out pretty good.

So now, every night they start flying into the windows. You can hear the thumping and buzzing.

They're an invasive species. They're not supposed to be here. I'm going to find them and kill them. I've heard that people catch honey bees and tie string to them so you can following them in the woods to their hive. I thought I'd try something like that. So far no luck...

A few days ago Jo noticed that our house was being swarmed by giant hornets trying to get in. I looked out the window and there were five of them flying into it.

OIrhAsT.jpg

GBYaORr.jpg

They were covering the house and trying to get in. It weirded me out pretty good.

So now, every night they start flying into the windows. You can hear the thumping and buzzing.

They're an invasive species. They're not supposed to be here. I'm going to find them and kill them. I've heard that people catch honey bees and tie string to them so you can following them in the woods to their hive. I thought I'd try something like that. So far no luck...
Unlike bees that feed on nectar from flowers, hornets, wasps and yellowjackets will feed on meat.

Take some ground meat and mix it with Sevin dust (available at a lot of home improvement stores and Amazon). Put it on a plate inside something like a closed pet carrier (the winged a-holes can get through the grill, but it prevents animals from eating the doped meat). They'll bring it back and kill the nest.

Unlike bees that feed on nectar from flowers, hornets, wasps and yellowjackets will feed on meat.

Take some ground meat and mix it with Sevin dust (available at a lot of home improvement stores and Amazon). Put it on a plate inside something like a closed pet carrier (the winged a-holes can get through the grill, but it prevents animals from eating the doped meat). They'll bring it back and kill the nest.
Do they suffer? I want them to suffer.

Somewhere the Asian giant hornets are laughing

View attachment 1619836

The first time I ever saw one of those I thought it was a small sparrow. They are pretty mellow, though. Or at least I never heard of any problems with them. Mukade, though… I hate those things. One of them crawled into my kendo kote once. I felt it (thought it was an earthworm) and dropped/threw my kote to the ground. Then the little bastard attacked me. As in, it followed me around the dojo trying to get my (bare) feet. I mean… I don’t even know what else you can say.

The first time I ever saw one of those I thought it was a small sparrow. They are pretty mellow, though. Or at least I never heard of any problems with them. Mukade, though… I hate those things. One of them crawled into my kendo kote once. I felt it (thought it was an earthworm) and dropped/threw my kote to the ground. Then the little bastard attacked me. As in, it followed me around the dojo trying to get my (bare) feet. I mean… I don’t even know what else you can say.
Haven't seen one in person, but saw the NatGeo Hornets from Hell many years ago and was fascinated how like 30-40 of those things could wipe out entire honey bee hives of 30,000+. Also really cool how a bunch of honey bees can latch onto one like a cacoon and overheat it to death by buzzing their wings.

Had to look up Mukade...that would freak me out too. Centipedes here are only like an inch long.

OIrhAsT.jpg

GBYaORr.jpg

***spoiler***
HOMEMADE TRAP FOR THE WIN

Back