Reate Knives 2015 Horizon High-end Series

I'm dismissing your overall point because it's false. Read this: http://www.forbes.com/sites/forbesl...buying-from-china-is-in-fact-buying-american/

Any article that actually advises the reader "And don’t particularly look for goods made in America." is straight garbage. Also, I don't think you've actually read the article, or you'd know that it wasn't making the point you think it's making. The point it DOES attempt to make doesn't work here because Reate doesn't hire Americans, nor is it an American company. So, way to go. Gotta love when people think their Google-Fu is strong, only to end up making it clear they didn't even read their own link. Well done.

My favorite custom maker lives in South Africa...

Should I ask him to move out here too?

actually that's not a bad idea! Maybe we could be neighbors!!!

Nope, individual vs company. It's just not the same ideology.
I bet he just makes enough to get by doing what he loves to do. I can really respect that....

JR88FAN is right, I should pay twice as much for a knife made by some good ol' white American, so he can earn $50,000/yr working in a knife factory.... >_>
Because people from other countries, like China, don't deserve to feed their families. I only want American kids to eat.

I bet he just makes enough to get by doing what he loves to do. I can really respect that....

Reate is David like AdV is Andres. It's a great comparison.
And you have no clue how much AdV earns off his custom knives, so stop ascribing noble motives to the guy just to bolster your argument.

Any article that actually advises the reader "And don’t particularly look for goods made in America." is straight garbage. Also, I don't think you've actually read the article, or you'd know that it wasn't making the point you think it's making. The point it DOES attempt to make doesn't work here because Reate doesn't hire Americans, nor is it an American company. So, way to go. Gotta love when people think their Google-Fu is strong, only to end up making it clear they didn't even read their own link. Well done.

Thanks man, my fingers hurt.....

Not even all the twisted stories you can dig-up on Google can argue with what is happening in America and why.

This is not opinion, it's not arguable, it's just a matter of what you want or don't want to do about it.

There are custom makers from China you know... How do you know that Reate isn't a family owned company, ran by a handful of people?

I understand that China has different labor laws, but to say that 100% of Chinese companies practice unfair labor is ignorant...

Until I have concrete proof that Reate makes their blades with CPM-Asbestos for 3 cents an hour, I'm a fan...

Did you miss the phrase "overall point"? His overall point is that you should never buy anything that isn't entirely made in the US.

Reate is David like AdV is Andres. It's a great comparison.
And you have no clue how much AdV earns off his custom knives, so stop ascribing noble motives to the guy just to bolster your argument.

That is not true.
David does not design nor have any hand in making these knives.

I can find his explanation of who design's Reate knives with a simple search, but you can do that too.

Comparing ADV to Reate is like comparing Joe's Burger Shack to Burger King.

It's just nationalism bordering on xenophobia.
The Chinese knife is worse, simply because it's made by Chinese people. Using their inferior quality titanium, and such... >_>
I remember when people refused to believe Reate used real S35VN. Now that that's been settled, they've moved on to the other materials and how they can't be as good as their American counterparts.

If ball bearing pivots and titanium are so much cheaper in China, why WOULDN'T knifemakers want to operate from that country??
Keep in mind, if you're not an American citizen, why would you particularly care about providing for American families??

Did you miss the phrase "overall point"? His overall point is that you should never buy anything that isn't entirely made in the US.

I can't speak for JR88's point. I can only speak to the fact that that "article" was poorly written because I have a strong distaste for op-eds that attempt to speak with the tone of fact. However, I understand that you won't think so since it supports your worldview.

It's just nationalism bordering on xenophobia.
The Chinese knife is worse, simply because it's made by Chinese people. Using their inferior quality titanium, and such... >_>
I remember when people refused to believe Reate used real S35VN. Now that that's been settled, they've moved on to the other materials and how they can't be as good as their American counterparts.

If ball bearing pivots and titanium are so much cheaper in China, why WOULDN'T knifemakers want to operate from that country??
Keep in mind, if you're not an American citizen, why would you particularly care about providing for American families??

Actually, I've read this whole thread and no one has said that. Criminy, debating with folks who simply don't grasp the point you're making is tiresome. I'm back out. I've a strong distaste for Americans who don't love their country.

There are custom makers from China you know... How do you know that Reate isn't a family owned company, ran by a handful of people?

I understand that China has different labor laws, but to say that 100% of Chinese companies practice unfair labor is ignorant...

Until I have concrete proof that Reate makes their blades with CPM-Asbestos for 3 cents an hour, I'm a fan...

I can't even reply to this except to say that you need to really understand what China is a little bit better.

I am just going to say that this is not so much about what China is, but more about what America isn't anymore.....

Actually, I've read this whole thread and no one has said that. Criminy, debating with folks who simply don't grasp the point you're making is tiresome. I'm back out. I've a strong distaste for Americans who don't love their country.

It's been implied throughout. Read the whole thread again and see if you can find reference to people claiming a knife made in China is not as valuable as a knife made in America.

I can't even reply to this except to say that you need to really understand what China is a little bit better.

I am just going to say that this is not so much about what China is, but more about what America isn't anymore.....

So when I go to buy a knife, I should be factoring in "what America isn't" in my choice? Yeah right. Good luck with that.

"Gee I really like this Reate Horizon C, but it's made by Chinese people, so I guess I'll just buy this Cold Steel instead". :rolleyes:

David does not design nor have any hand in making these knives.

I can find his explanation of who design's Reate knives with a simple search, but you can do that too.

I tried searching BFC and Google for "who designs Reate knives", but I'm not finding anything. Care to back that statement up with facts??

It's been implied throughout. Read the whole thread again and see if you can find reference to people claiming a knife made in China is not as valuable as a knife made in America.

I can't speak for others. I can only speak for myself, though I have a good idea what it is that others have a problem with. I don't begrudge "David Deng" the right to run a business and earn a profit. However, I DO understand why many American knife enthusiasts won't ever buy his products, and in my estimation, it has zero to do with the knives, their designs, their quality, or what they're made with at all.

Anyway, back to the merry-go-round. I'm trying to do my best to stay out of this waste of time.

Should this thread be moved to Political; Whine & Cheese; or just Closed?

Back