Reate Knives 2015 Horizon High-end Series

Austonh thats a hell of a photo! Looks great. I'd like to hear your thoughts on it too especially if you've got a horizon C to compare it to.

Mike

What I'm carrying today, a really nice knife. 👍

IMG_20150609_094206_zpsuiew8irp.jpg

Austonh thats a hell of a photo! Looks great. I'd like to hear your thoughts on it too especially if you've got a horizon C to compare it to.

Mike

Thanks so much!

I actually ended up selling my Horizon C sadly, can't afford to keep them all. The video I linked in the previous comment summarizes my thoughts and conclusions of the knife.

As compared to the C, there is the upgraded steel, 3D machining and slightly more comfortable handle due to the contoured machining. The C model was a bit more flat in the handles. My only complaint with the C that the D corrected somewhat is that difficultly for the detent ball to overcome the tang of the blade when closing it. It was very pronounced in the C model and a little less so in the D model. Both are excellent, the C simply packs more 'value' than the D. However, I like the D a bit more because of the details and upgraded steel.

Its not the same thing. And no one is saying that reate is being dishonest. In fact that has been discussed enough to where i feel you really didnt read the thread thoroughly. The zt is an anodizing that is gold colored contrasted with blue. its not that zt is trying to make it look like real gold. The anodizing on the reate is trying to simulate the look of a substance it is not. I never looked at micarta or g10 and said "what kind of wood is that?" And acid etching only looks like damascus to people wth very little experience with that material.

Ill say it again, its not even a matter of them trying to replicate the look of a material. On cheap knives they do it all the time. But this is NOT a cheap knife. And again if its just an anodizing job and is harmless why make it look like something it isnt anyways? There was obviously an effort to replicate the look of timascus. Why? Any artistic anodizing would have completed the look without suggestion to another material. But they want some kind of association with timascus or they would have used any pattern besides it.

EDIT: :foot::eek: WTF? After going back over the thread, I realize PURPLEDC didn't actually make the comments I was thinking of... he questioned the aesthetic choice, but never claimed it was dishonest. I was apparently replying to comments made by Treeshaker; and even in his case, I'm not sure he was implying the 'faux' timascus was dishonest. I usually go back and reread the posts I'm responding to, and I clearly should have done that here. My apologies. As they say, read more, post less... :foot::eek:

Last edited:
Just went back and saw your vid which somehow I missed. Great! The knife looks gorgeous. I had my heart set on the CF horizon D but I have a hard time spending that much on a knife. Reate, ZT, it doesn't matter I've put a self imposed limit of around 300. Not saying some knives aren't worth more just not to me. Anyway great knife and you've got some wicked photography skills! Thanks for sharing.

Mike

Reate Horizon-D:

• GPK has 2 CF & 11 TI left.
  • BHQ has 2 CF & 15 TI left.

The few CF are all gone. TI is selling very slowly. GPK: 10 left. BHQ: 13 left.

These have been for sale since May 29th and even with limited stock they are barely selling.

GPK has 8 and BHQ 9 left of the TI.

These may become de facto limited editions like Horizon-A!

Just went back and saw your vid which somehow I missed. Great! The knife looks gorgeous. I had my heart set on the CF horizon D but I have a hard time spending that much on a knife. Reate, ZT, it doesn't matter I've put a self imposed limit of around 300. Not saying some knives aren't worth more just not to me. Anyway great knife and you've got some wicked photography skills! Thanks for sharing.

Mike

Thanks again Mike. I think you would be perfectly happy with the Horizon C if are remiss about spending more than 3 bills. Or if you are patient enough, they might hit $300 in 6 months to a year on the secondary market. Judging how how slowly they are selling, I think it's a strong possibility. :thumbup:

Yup, I already own the C and love it. I'll be keeping an eye out for a used D down the road. Thanks for the help.

Mike

Thanks again Mike. I think you would be perfectly happy with the Horizon C if are remiss about spending more than 3 bills. Or if you are patient enough, they might hit $300 in 6 months to a year on the secondary market. Judging how how slowly they are selling, I think it's a strong possibility. :thumbup:

I've had my knife since the end of March.

Thanks for the video review!

How is the M390 holding up in use?
I've seen some knives recently with M390 blades that's apparently not heat treated well and it's chipping and dulling quite quickly.

Thanks again austonh!

Thanks for the video review!

How is the M390 holding up in use?
I've seen some knives recently with M390 blades that's apparently not heat treated well and it's chipping and dulling quite quickly.

Thanks again austonh!

Thanks for watching!

It's holding up quite well. Although I must state that I rarely have opportunities to 'hard use' my knives. Seems quite comparable with my other knives in M390, 204p and 20CV.

EDIT: :foot::eek: WTF? After going back over the thread, I realize PURPLEDC didn't actually make the comments I was thinking of... he questioned the aesthetic choice, but never claimed it was dishonest.
I was apparently replying to comments made by Treeshaker; and even in his case, I'm not sure he was implying the 'faux' timascus was dishonest.
I usually go back and reread the posts I'm responding to, and I clearly should have done that here. My apologies. As they say, read more, post less... :foot::eek:

100% correct, and QUITE has made 100000% totally correct post as well, it is simply a MFG point to post knives in general every time they wish to sell a new product. General is almost always started by a member seeking information about a knife and it's uses. The OP chooses to create a Free Sales Ad, and when you do that as opposed to asking questions in general, you leave yourself open to conversations like this. I did not see any questions asked, only a sales ad posted. I care not what faux materials they use, but I think QUITE and I both care what they charge for the item and who makes that item does matter regarding the price of the product. In any market A Chinese made knife is valued lower than a USA made knife. Even lower than any county I know knives are produced in today. Why , because the scale of cost associated with making that knife is far less than what USA mfg. can operate at. In all honesty, no one knows, including me, what the situation is in China, and certainly not the working conditions and standards. I do know that faux materials do not make a knife of any origin worth $ 400. And I do know that no other Mfg. enters General Discussion and post sales ads as does this OP. And for that reason alone I feel the op, abuses the General Discussion of Bladeforums, otherwise this sub would turn into nothing more that a billboard area for every knife co. who wishes to sale. Hats off to other companies who respect the forum and do not post, For sale ads in general, this was all the OP was doing. It is clear and without question, since day one they arrived on the scene, and that is what really upsets a lot of us, free press, faux parts and high prices. And like Quite, I have made and finished my point. I am at least glad some will stand for what is correct. I don't want to look at for sale signs every time I enter General Discussion. Do you ????

In any market A Chinese made knife is valued lower than a USA made knife. Even lower than any county I know knives are produced in today. Why , because the scale of cost associated with making that knife is far less than what USA mfg. can operate at. In all honesty, no one knows, including me, what the situation is in China, and certainly not the working conditions and standards. I do know that faux materials do not make a knife of any origin worth $ 400.

What makes you so sure that the knife wouldn't be, say, $700 if produced in the US?

100% correct, and QUITE has made 100000% totally correct post as well, it is simply a MFG point to post knives in general every time they wish to sell a new product. General is almost always started by a member seeking information about a knife and it's uses. The OP chooses to create a Free Sales Ad, and when you do that as opposed to asking questions in general, you leave yourself open to conversations like this. I did not see any questions asked, only a sales ad posted. I care not what faux materials they use, but I think QUITE and I both care what they charge for the item and who makes that item does matter regarding the price of the product. In any market A Chinese made knife is valued lower than a USA made knife. Even lower than any county I know knives are produced in today. Why , because the scale of cost associated with making that knife is far less than what USA mfg. can operate at. In all honesty, no one knows, including me, what the situation is in China, and certainly not the working conditions and standards. I do know that faux materials do not make a knife of any origin worth $ 400. And I do know that no other Mfg. enters General Discussion and post sales ads as does this OP. And for that reason alone I feel the op, abuses the General Discussion of Bladeforums, otherwise this sub would turn into nothing more that a billboard area for every knife co. who wishes to sale. Hats off to other companies who respect the forum and do not post, For sale ads in general, this was all the OP was doing. It is clear and without question, since day one they arrived on the scene, and that is what really upsets a lot of us, free press, faux parts and high prices. And like Quite, I have made and finished my point. I am at least glad some will stand for what is correct. I don't want to look at for sale signs every time I enter General Discussion. Do you ????

Do you ever venture out of General D? Manufacturers that have their own forum here post stuff about their knives all the time. You could say that is free advertising too, but since there isn't a Reate discussion forum, it falls into GD since we're all discussing Reate in general...

I hope you don't ever click on the Custom/Handmade forum, you'll be in for a big surprise... Some people are proud to show what they have been working hard on.

I will stick to discussing ONLY the knife, not members.. The knife is what is in question, I think ? At $400, only updated with "faux" materials, a $ 200 increase over previous models seems out of sorts. I did not see where the fake Timascus added $200 in value.. But since all the new ones are sold out at $400 based on the amount of support shown on this site, Great job, on clearing all the inventory, that is amazing . Nothing like selling out to prove a point. I stand corrected.

=Blues Bender;14866756]Do you ever venture out of General D? Manufacturers that have their own forum here post stuff about their knives all the time. You could say that is free advertising too, but since there isn't a Reate discussion forum, it falls into GD since we're all discussing Reate in general...

I hope you don't ever click on the Custom/Handmade forum, you'll be in for a big surprise... Some people are proud to show what they have been working hard on.[/QUOTE]

I will stick to discussing ONLY the knife, not members.. The knife is what is in question, I think ? At $400, only updated with "faux" materials, a $ 200 increase over previous models seems out of sorts. I did not see where the fake Timascus added $200 in value.. But since all the new ones are sold out at $400 based on the amount of support shown on this site, Great job, on clearing all the inventory, that is amazing . Nothing like selling out to prove a point. I stand corrected.

The problem is, is that you were discussing David (OP)...

Only real reason for valuing a Chinese-made knife less than an American-made knife is cost of labor.
If materials are the same, that's really the only other factor. And some of the labor savings is offset by shipping costs. If it's a big moral issue to you to always try to support American businesses when you can, that's fine, and that's a significant factor for you, but if you remove nationalism / patriotism from the equation, how are you gonna say any knife produced in China (or anywhere else) is automatically worth less than a comparable knife produced in America?

EDIT: :foot::eek: WTF? After going back over the thread, I realize PURPLEDC didn't actually make the comments I was thinking of... he questioned the aesthetic choice, but never claimed it was dishonest. I was apparently replying to comments made by Treeshaker; and even in his case, I'm not sure he was implying the 'faux' timascus was dishonest. I usually go back and reread the posts I'm responding to, and I clearly should have done that here. My apologies. As they say, read more, post less... :foot::eek:

Its cool man. We all make mistakes. I more than most. There are many times I read something and I take it a completely wrong way. I probably could have worded it better, but I also get a lot of heat for excessively long posts. :D

Only real reason for valuing a Chinese-made knife less than an American-made knife is cost of labor.
If materials are the same, that's really the only other factor. And some of the labor savings is offset by shipping costs. If it's a big moral issue to you to always try to support American businesses when you can, that's fine, and that's a significant factor for you, but if you remove nationalism / patriotism from the equation, how are you gonna say any knife produced in China (or anywhere else) is automatically worth less than a comparable knife produced in America?

not really. The only materials in a Reate that are guaranteed to be come from a foreign source is the blade steel. Not all titanium is the same grade and cost. And since china and russia make a lot of titanium they may have a less costly means of acquiring it. I know the chinese equivalent for 6al4v they call TC4. We dont know what grade they have or where it comes from. And even if USA companies are outsourcing and buying their less essential materials from china or using a factory in china for hardware manufacturing there will be a savings for a chinese company even if its just in shipping. Bearings can be expensive also hear in the USA. High grade bearings can be bought from china for much less. Since nearly everything that is made in china is cheaper in china and cheaper than it is here the only way they are on an equal playing field in terms of materials if if we knew for certain they were sourcing from the same place. But there is a reason they can make a model like the hills and keep it under $200.

=Blues Bender;14866756]Do you ever venture out of General D? Manufacturers that have their own forum here post stuff about their knives all the time. You could say that is free advertising too, but since there isn't a Reate discussion forum, it falls into GD since we're all discussing Reate in general...

I hope you don't ever click on the Custom/Handmade forum, you'll be in for a big surprise... Some people are proud to show what they have been working hard on.
[/QUOTE]

You are wasting your time man.....

The issues we have with the knife are not discussable here.

Those issues are sadly not relevant to a lot of people.
They simply either don't understand it, or don't care to.

I can understand the 'gotta buy' consumerism and jumping on something cheap with good spec's cause it's all the room you have on your credit card, but this ain't cheap anymore...The price of buying foreign made is so much higher then it is to buy American. I don't want everyone to forget that please.

I guess if watching your friends and family struggle (if not yet, they will sooner or later) because of decisions we make doesn't bother you, not much will.

Maybe buying an American Made knife won't change much, but it's a step in the right direction.

I would like to challenge David to make these knives in the USA and continue to sell them at current pricing or less.
He can't sell these in China, they are illegal.

Why not have the target country for your product also make it?
That would really show you care about more then just profit....

Access to the biggest consumer market is great, but it's even greater when you respect that market beyond it being your cash cow.

Why not have the target country for your product also make it?
That would really show you care about more then just profit....

Access to the biggest consumer market is great, but it's even greater when you respect that market beyond it being your cash cow.

Are you seriously saying that everyone in the world who sells to US consumers needs to pack up their operations and move them to the US, or else they're just treating the US as a "cash cow"?

Back