Reate Knives 2015 Horizon High-end Series

I think the point is these same issues dont come up in threads about shirogorov, lionsteel, or any number of brands that manufacture outside the usa so it sorta looks like china gets singled out. So i think the question is, is it really about buying american products or just NOT buying chinese ones.

Again, the answer to this would be political, so I'll pass.

You can attempt to downplay or belittle those of us who still actually care about this country's wellbeing all you want. Your opinion is meaningless to me. :)
Apparently not. :)

Last edited:
Also, understand my position. I don't have an issue with people spending their money wherever, and on whatever they wish. My original comment in this thread (which then got attacked by the fansquad) was merely to point out that there are very real and relevant reasons why many of us do not buy Chinese knives, and especially not at this price point. I can't speak for others, but vehement answers of "That's STUPID!" or "THAT'S OUTDATED THINKING!!" only reinforce my understanding that some folks don't have a very strong grasp of history, economics, or the real relationship between China and the United States. Either that, or they just don't want anything but fan-service in these threads. To that, I say, let Reate get their own subforum, so you guys can all congregate in there among likeminded folks, and then you won't have to see any criticism. :thumbup:

You can attempt to downplay or belittle those of us who still actually care about this country's wellbeing all you want. Your opinion is meaningless to me. :)

With the way things work these days its nearly impossible to buy completely usa. From foreign companies who manufacture in the usa or usa companies manufacturing overseas or the usa companies making usa made products from outsourced imported parts its nearly impossible to buy 100% usa without extremely high costs or a good amount of ignorance as to where potions of an item really hail from. Just like most swiss watches under $3000 are mostly made of swiss assembled chinese parts so are alot of things. I admire the sentiment but with how things really work these days it really is a global market even when trying to be selective.

Please see my previous response.

Ok, how about this: what if there were a person born and raised in China, and living in China, who decided to start making knives. Let's say it was a one-man operation, and that this person made knives as innovative and high-quality as, say, Gavko. Would you refuse to support him whatsoever because he happened to be in China?

Ok, how about this: what if there were a person born and raised in China, and living in China, who decided to start making knives. Let's say it was a one-man operation, and that this person made knives as innovative and high-quality as, say, Gavko. Would you refuse to support him whatsoever because he happened to be in China?

If there was a comparable product available made here in my own country by my own countrymen? I'd buy the American made product every time, it is what it is. And actually, I'll amend that to say that being that we're talking about a luxury good, if there wasn't an American alternative, I'd just do without it. Plenty of other luxury goods made in this country to earn my dollars.

If you know your argument is political why bring it up period if you know you cant elaborate?

I've seen enough of these types of threads to know how they go. If I made any comments further down, Brancron would just keep demanding that I answer the question. It seemed a fair compromise.

With the way things work these days its nearly impossible to buy completely usa. From foreign companies who manufacture in the usa or usa companies manufacturing overseas or the usa companies making usa made products form outsourced impoted parts its nearly impossible to buy 100% usa without extremely high costs or a good amount of ignorance as to where potions of an item really hail from. Just like most swiss watches under $3000 are mostly made of swiss assembled chinese parts so are alot of things. I admire the sentiment but with how things really work these days it really is a global market even whentrying to be selective.

I agree with all of that. Again, my only point here is that there are valid, relevant reasons why some of us try to support the economy of THIS country when we can. It's not because those of us who do are "Sinophobes*, or that we just hate China, or whatever.

Anyway, I personally don't see any further need for participation in this thread, so I'll bow out.

*The towering arrogance and ignorance of this statement still astounds me.

If there was a comparable product available made here in my own country by my own countrymen? I'd buy the American made product every time, it is what it i

I agree with all of that. Again, my only point here is that there are valid, relevant reasons why some of us try to support the economy of THIS country when we can. It's not because those of us who do are "Sinophobes*, or that we just hate China, or whatever.

Anyway, I personally don't see any further need for participation in this thread, so I'll bow out.

*The towering arrogance and ignorance of this statement still astounds me.

Which statement was arrogant and ignorant? You just said you agreed.

I'm responding to that term which was used by another member, not you.

What I'm carrying today, a really nice knife. 👍

IMG_20150609_094206_zpsuiew8irp.jpg

What I'm carrying today, a really nice knife. 👍

Hey! You're not allowed to talk about them if you actually own one! This thread is for people with no personal experience of Reate products to make snide and disingenuous criticisms and to speculate about manufacturing costs in an attempt to thinly veil their irrational hatred of a country with a population of 1.4 billion!

Thanks. I edited my post to mention that. And I agree that's a legitimate concern. At a minimum, if a knife needs to be shipped offshore for warranty service, shipping costs should be factored into the price of the knife.

Last edited:
Titanium that has been gold anodized, or bronze, or brass, is replicating the look of those materials. It's not dishonest, and I've never seen Timascus or moku-ti on a <500$ knife (or 750$, or even 1000$, but there's no doubt a few). It's a beautiful anodizing job; if you don't like it, don't buy it. Insinuating that Reate is engaging in some manner of marketing dishonesty is completely unjustified, IMO.

Emulating gold would be far worse, but it's regularly done (the new ZT 0606 is blue and gold). If your going to complain about this, then anyone using acid-etching to get a Damascus-like look is guilty. G-10 that emulates Micarta or wood-grain... all dishonest, apparently.

I don't own any Reate knives, or any Chinese knives. I do own Taiwanese Spydercos, however, and I'd like to pick up a Horizon D; by all accounts it's a very well-made knife, and it looks great.

Titanium that has been gold anodized, or bronze, or brass, is replicating the look of those materials. It's not dishonest, and I've never seen Timascus or moku-ti on a <500$ knife (or 750$, or even 1000$, but there's no doubt a few). It's a beautiful anodizing job; if you don't like it, don't buy it. Insinuating that Reate is engaging in some manner of marketing dishonesty is completely unjustified, IMO.

Emulating gold would be far worse, but it's regularly done (the new ZT 0606 is blue and gold). If your going to complain about this, then anyone using acid-etching to get a Damascus-like look is guilty. G-10 that emulates Micarta or wood-grain... all dishonest, apparently.

I don't own any Reate knives, or any Chinese knives. I do own Taiwanese Spydercos, however, and I'd like to pick up a Horizon D; by all accounts it's a very well-made knife, and it looks great.

Its not the same thing. And no one is saying that reate is being dishonest. In fact that has been discussed enough to where i feel you really didnt read the thread thoroughly. The zt is an anodizing that is gold colored contrasted with blue. its not that zt is trying to make it look like real gold. The anodizing on the reate is trying to simulate the look of a substance it is not. I never looked at micarta or g10 and said "what kind of wood is that?" And acid etching only looks like damascus to people wth very little experience with that material.

Ill say it again, its not even a matter of them trying to replicate the look of a material. On cheap knives they do it all the time. But this is NOT a cheap knife. And again if its just an anodizing job and is harmless why make it look like something it isnt anyways? There was obviously an effort to replicate the look of timascus. Why? Any artistic anodizing would have completed the look without suggestion to another material. But they want some kind of association with timascus or they would have used any pattern besides it.

I'd like to here more about your impressions once you've had a chance to carry and use the Horizon D for a while.

I've had my knife since the end of March.

[video=youtube;bb1LMoKca80]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bb1LMoKca80[/video]

Back