Reate Knives 2015 Horizon High-end Series

I think they took marketing advice from benchmade:D

Or Jim Skeleton....? lol

At any rate, I'm fine with it. If people wanna pay an extra $150 for milling, that's their business.
Clearly there's a niche out there for this type of thing. Look at the guys who paid $400+ for the milled version of the 452CF (Auston H, etc)

If you really love a knife, having a limited collector's version of it might be worth the price.

But this "high-end series" of Horizons is too pricey for me. Which is disappointing, since I waited the past few months for a knife I thought would be more around $300.
But hey, the good new is; plenty of Horizon Cs and Hills over at BHQ, at more reasonable prices, so snatch those up while you can.

Yep, there is still definately a market for these, no doubt. It's just funny if you've been following reate since day 1.

When I hit up Folder Friday, I was excited to see the CF version finally out, but then I saw the price. I put that $400 towards the Diskin Fire FH had instead:D

I believe the lock side is the same on both models, yeah....?
First pic in this topic is both sides of the CF version. Notice the pivot

You're right. Thanks.

Also, I can see the blue anodized and polished titanium backdpacer in the AustonH video. Looks sharp (as in looks)!

5eab633dd5574ce5a9f5c71383e793ce_zpspmmoshkg.jpg

Last edited:
Or Jim Skeleton....? lol

At any rate, I'm fine with it. If people wanna pay an extra $150 for milling, that's their business.
Clearly there's a niche out there for this type of thing. Look at the guys who paid $400+ for the milled version of the 452CF (Auston H, etc)

If you really love a knife, having a limited collector's version of it might be worth the price.

But this "high-end series" of Horizons is too pricey for me. Which is disappointing, since I waited the past few months for a knife I thought would be more around $300.
But hey, the good new is; plenty of Horizon Cs and Hills over at BHQ, at more reasonable prices, so snatch those up while you can.

That "milled" version of the 0452cf is really a completly separate knife. I understand why you would think that but the 0454 russian model was much more refined and "polished" not to mention the upgraded steel and finishing. Aside from the outline those things dont have much in common unless you consider the bearing pivot. But really its like comparing a field grade bodega to a full ti bodega.

Yep, there is still definately a market for these, no doubt. It's just funny if you've been following reate since day 1.

When I hit up Folder Friday, I was excited to see the CF version finally out, but then I saw the price. I put that $400 towards the Diskin Fire FH had instead:D

Yeah I hate to be a pessimist. Especially when i was one of the loudest supporters of Reate. But thats because I own a bunch of knives coming from those responsible before reate was reate and they represented value to me. You genuinely got more for each dollar. Now at $400 and fake timascus? Sorry, Im out. You know I didnt jump to chinese knives just because of the quality. And if a chinese product is going to be on par cost wise with a domestic made product I no longer have that incentive to buy. I am not terribly loyal to one brand. I am loyal to my wallet and my families tolerance to my hobby. And there are simply too many options to make these a viable option for me. But more power to those who find them to be the greatest. If it makes you happy I am all for it. But I am not going to lie, I feel they are pricing themselves out of their market. I simply dont feel they have built a fanbase or company enough to ask the prices they are asking. And with no USA support and a rather difficult and expensive process to get replacement parts I just dont see it. You know when I buy a USA made product I am not just buying a knife. I am buying a warranty and I am buying support. If I strip a pivot or a screw and I need to pay $35 for the shipping of those parts and deal with overseas shipping? Back to USA made it is. At the very least my chinese knives will be those that represent quality and value.

Last edited:
Right, it was an upgraded, and somewhat "limited" ( by comparison ) version of the knife, only for the Russian market, yeah?

I thought it was a decent comparison for the Horizon C Vs Horizon D.
- Upgraded steel
- milled Ti side, CF side
- different pivot

I was just trying to point out that upgraded versions of popular knives in the $200-250 range can fetch up to $400-$450, so this pricing isn't unheard of.
But one of the main selling points of Reate when they first came out was that you were getting a good value. They were seen as being priced pretty low, considering how well made they were and the quality of materials used. But now, they might as well be ZT for what they're charging.

Granted, I actually think Reates are nicer than the ZTs I've owned, and I've loved my ZTs, so that's not an insult.

Maybe I'm just bummed that the rest of the world is catching on to my favorite underground band...? And the band is starting to play small arenas rather than intimate bars and nightclubs.

Ouch! Yeah, didn't see that fake Timascus on the first read and I was also thinking $300 or less...
If the price is $400, I'm out.

Real nice,but for a little more id rather get the les George talos with the frag pattern.This is the problem when knives get into the 400.00 range.

Right, it was an upgraded, and somewhat "limited" ( by comparison ) version of the knife, only for the Russian market, yeah?

I thought it was a decent comparison for the Horizon C Vs Horizon D.
- Upgraded steel
- milled Ti side, CF side
- different pivot

I was just trying to point out that upgraded versions of popular knives in the $200-250 range can fetch up to $400-$450, so this pricing isn't unheard of.
But one of the main selling points of Reate when they first came out was that you were getting a good value. They were seen as being priced pretty low, considering how well made they were and the quality of materials used. But now, they might as well be ZT for what they're charging.

Granted, I actually think Reates are nicer than the ZTs I've owned, and I've loved my ZTs, so that's not an insult.

Maybe I'm just bummed that the rest of the world is catching on to my favorite underground band...? And the band is starting to play small arenas rather than intimate bars and nightclubs.

No man I feel you. I guess the reason i didnt get your comparison is because I actually saw the differences on the zts as an upgrade. And when Im looking at reate I am comparing everything back to the horizon A and nothing makes sense to me. IMHO it was every bit as cool as the knives they are currently making as it had the milling and M390 and I could have got one for $250 brand new. I just keep seeing prices going up and yeah, I kinda feel like I was one of the people at the first dave mathews show before they went commercial and now it costs almost twice as much per ticket and the music isnt as good. Oh well, Im not going to dwell. Too many knives for that.

I've been a supporter of Reate since DAY 1, and own three knives...but at this price point, they've lost their value. The whole draw was mid-tech value at a production price and this new release has busted that allure for me. I've been scouting after the Horizon D CF for two months and have bugged retailers to no end for an opportunity to pre-order. I was ready for $279 or even $299, but at this price point, I have to say "No". I can buy two of practically any ZT, Spyderco or BM at this price. I can buy any number of mid-techs for the same price. And...the difference is...all those other suppliers will service, warrant and repair the knife at a location that's just "down the street".

I'm sure every one of these knives will sell, however. That much has already been shown by the fire sale at Fort Henry. But in the long run there's not that much special about these knives, at this price, to make them retain or grow in value. There are lots of alternate choices that can be made. I plan to make those choices now...if it doesn't bring about my divorce lol.

I'll continue to watch what Reate offers in the future but, for now, I'm putting away the Pom Poms.

They look great and I'm sure they'll sell all that they make, but there are a lot of other knives I'd spend $400 on first. For that money I expect not only high quality construction and materials, which these certainly appear to have, but a company with an established track record that I can be confident will be around to repair the knife years down the road if necessary. I'd take the gamble at around $200, but not at $400.

Considering these sold out at the place I saw them listed I'd say they were priced correctly. I do find it interesting that they are now competing directly with the mid tech crowd like George and others.

Was super pumped for this knife, even with right hand carry only. Its gorgeous, but I've got to echo what has already been said in that at $400 there's way more other things out there. Plus, fake Timascus really made me scratch my head... If I'm laying out $400 for a knife I don't want faux-finished parts. As fantastic looking as these are, along with the materials and whatnot, at $400 they don't make me seem like I'm getting the bang for my buck that other Reates do.

Let's keep in mind that this is the "high-end" series, not them unveiling a new pricing structure. Of course their premium line is going to be more expensive - and, realistically, who else offers that much for that price?

The real issue here, I think, is that all of the little things they've done that add up to that price just don't excite us all that much. As many have pointed out, the clip looks tacky and the pivot detail isn't going to be enough to get many to pony up an extra $150 in perceived value.

Most of the fans of Reate are fans of the price:quality ratio. If, say, ZT was releasing this knife as an LE, we'd say $400 was a pretty good price and we'd see them flipping for 500-600 the instant they sold out. Reate, however, is going to have a hard time getting people to accept prices like that no matter what they do. That knife could be 110v and zirconium and we'd still throw a bit of a fit over a $400 price tag, just because it's Reate.

Just as a quandry, what is the price point to get into real Timascus? I've never seen one for less than $600. I would be thrilled to get a knife with a real Timascus clip and pivot collars, but I don't ever see it happening for $400, even from China.

Hopefully the next few models bring the price (and size) down a bit. The quality of these knives is awesome and I've been happy with every single one I've purchased. Although my favorite is still my Original Horizon A followed closely by the new Horizon D. As a side note, with the mod work to my Horizon A, I have $400 into that knife as well. Zero regrets on either.

Last edited:
Just as a quandry, what is the price point to get into real Timascus? I've never seen one for less than $600. I would be thrilled to get a knife with a real Timascus clip and pivot collars, but I don't ever see it happening for $400, even from China.

Hopefully the next few models bring the price (and size) down a bit. The quality of these knives is awesome and I've been happy with every single one I've purchased. Although my favorite is still my Original Horizon A followed closely by the new Horizon D. As a side note, with the mod work to my Horizon A, I have $400 into that knife as well. Zero regrets on either.

To me, imitation of a more expensive material reduces value. This reminds me of plastic "wood" accents on a dashboard.

Maybe these upgrades should have been optional,or have some of these parts like the ano'd clip or pivot be sold as an upgrade to the c model,so there isn't such a huge price increase..

Back