Reate Knives 2015 Horizon High-end Series

I've heard back from both GPKnives and BladeHQ that they won't have a presale option but the knives will be sold first come/first served. There's no "release day" so to speak, so the knives will just become available when received and put into stock...so...if you're one of those who aren't put off by the price, you better be an Internet hound. Both suppliers said they didn't know for certain when they'd get the knives.

I've decided to pass on this offering for all of the reasons discussed above, but good luck to all of you out to get one!

My Horizon-D CF is excellent in every respect. Nice texture on the CF. Very smooth flipper action. M390 blade has a nice grind, sharp, symmetrical and centered. Blade length is 3.75" and thickness is 0.153". The CF model weighs 5.32 ounces. The blue anodized backspacer is gorgeous but the jimping should've been continued to the end of the handle. The timascus on the pivots and clip look good but I think if the pivots, clip were plain blue anodized just like the screws and backspacer it would look even better.
Surprisingly, I think it's worth the money!

8fb8fc87-4e93-402b-be11-5c393320d6ef_zpscqhza0me.jpg

2c3e51a9-1e0d-4ef3-b4eb-7e3137f33368_zpsioboxivw.jpg

3a0771d5644b1beb6b35dc9914340d58_zpsenorp5cx.jpg

Last edited:
I noticed that a couple of these sold on eBay for $449.

That is pretty crazy that they are appreciating in value. I wonder who sold those on Ebay, there are only a few in the States thus far and the owners wouldn't part with them... Dun dun duh....

It's White Mountain Knives which sold one each of CF & TI models of Horizon-D on eBay for $449.95 with free shipping.

I thought the only Reate U.S. dealers were Fort Henry Custom Knives, GP Knives, Blade HQ, Knife Center, and Knife Works?!

It was two of each that sold.

It's White Mountain Knives which sold one each of CF & TI models of Horizon-D on eBay for $449.95 with free shipping.

I thought the only Reate U.S. dealers were Fort Henry Custom Knives, GP Knives, Blade HQ, Knife Center, and Knife Works?!

Pshhh... $400:rolleyes:

That's funny, rake it in while you can David...

I never thought this day would come, but I agree with you 100%

I just don't see the value here at that price point.
I see the profit margin at that price considering the labor costs of where these are made.

I was under the impression that the Chinese manufactures could make a ZT at much less then half the price, but I guess I was wrong.

In this hobby, I am also a big fan of my money going into the pocket's of people who will put it back into my economy, (I rarely get to make that choice in other purchases) but I guess that's a little off topic......

Last edited:
The pre-sale at Fort Henry sold out fast, but they're still available for pre-sale at both Knife Center and Knifeworks (an ETA of July?). I have a feeling that the price is keeping many buyers away, I know it is me. Maybe after they've been out a while we'll see the price creep downward from MSRP to a more acceptable point.

As it stands now, these knives aren't worth 4 bills. When I heard what the price was going to be, I took my money and bought a CRK instead.

Just curious, would it be possible to anodize the fake timascus to a single, solid color?

Just curious, would it be possible to anodize the fake timascus to a single, solid color?

Yes. The anodizing on titanium is only a surface treatment and you can anodize it as many times as you like. But in between color changes you need to either sand, bead blast or chemically etch the titanium between color changes.

Yes. The anodizing on titanium is only a surface treatment and you can anodize it as many times as you like. But in between color changes you need to either sand, bead blast or chemically etch the titanium between color changes.

Thank you!

In stock at BladeHQ as well now. However, they don't seem to be selling well. GPK mentioned: "These are very limited so get them while you can." and even then after 2.5 days both models are still in stock! Of course, the $399 price may a little to do with it. :)

I own a horizon C and like it a lot, but 400. for that knife is too much imho. Looks like a nice knife but I'll pass.

Mike

Reate Horizon-D:

• GPK has 2 CF & 11 TI left.
  • BHQ has 2 CF & 15 TI left.

I'd like to know how many they had to begin with?

Mike

In hindsight, I should've done that for a baseline.

The reason I'm putting up these numbers is that I just don't see them selling that fast even with "very limited" stock.

Back