1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ka-Bar Becker BK5 Magnum Camp , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday July 27!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Reate Knives-Users' opinion and collections

Discussion in 'Reate Knives' started by ReaTe, Nov 12, 2014.

1. ReaTe

ReaTe

Feb 15, 2014

[​IMG]

We've been receiving different suggestions about the knives since the first design "Horizon" series. And thanks for all these different opinions and suggestions, we grow slowly and steadily. We also received many photos taken by our customers. And we would like to share some of them here. In this thread, you can share any opinions and advice here. And if you are our customer, you are welcome to post you photos here to share with us.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2015
  2. ReaTe

ReaTe

Feb 15, 2014
    Here are some photos taken by Jim Skelton, we have his authority to post the photos here.

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

3. RamZar

RamZar Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 3, 2013
    I got my first Reate recently which is Hills. Excellent high-quality flipper at a great price point.

Looking forward to Horizon-A but they're nowhere to be found. Recently BladeHQ started carrying Reate knives but not all of them. Hopefully, we'll start seeing more Reate knives at more online dealers in the US.

Also, there is a market for a great titanium flipper with a just under 3 inch blade. Reate has gone from the 3.9" blade Horizon to the 3.75" District-9 and now the 3.5" Hills. So, a 3" blade titanium flipper makes sense.

4. ReaTe

ReaTe

Feb 15, 2014
    RamZar, thank you for your suggestion.

5. sechip

sechip Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 27, 2013
    A 3.5" Horizon A with the M390 steel would be a HUGE seller IMO.

6. RamZar

RamZar Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 3, 2013
    Or a Hills with M390. Hills has a narrower profile than Horizon.

7. pearl2291

pearl2291 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 2, 2012
    I recently got a Hills as well. I also handled I looked over both of the District Models as well as the Horizon-A. These are great knives for the money & easily compare to other knives I have owned that were quite a bit higher in price. For future offerings I share the thought on a smaller flipper model. I'd prefer something +/-3.25" personally. Also, offer a left hand and/or reversible pocket clip option.

Here is mine:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. sechip

sechip Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 27, 2013
    That would work also.

9. Misanthropia

Misanthropia Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 10, 2011
    I was a very early adopter of the Horizon-A and firmly believe in Reate's future as a company in the knife industry, but I will try to be as critical as I can about my knife and the other models in the line. Outside of these few complaints, I have nothing but good things to say. The Horizon-A being available at $200 from retailers represents a huge value.

Subjective criticisms:

-The designs are a little all over the place for me. To me, the Horizon represents the most attractive design so far. The handle is a bit boring in shape, but the faux-integral design is fantastic. Removing the decorative pivot from the current run is a bit disappointing as well. The District 9 models are entirely too busy for me, and the blade shapes both strike me as a bit awkward. I would never call either "sexy" or "sleek". The full flat grind on the Hills model totally kills it for me aesthetically. Remember that these critiques are SUBJECTIVE and I totally understand if others disagree. I would love to see something with a little bit more of a minimalist design that is slightly more conventional.

Objective complaints:

-My Horizon-A has a little bit of detent play in it. Otherwise it is pretty much perfect as far as fit and finish goes.

10. austonh

austonh Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 26, 2012
    Well is no secret that I'm a fan of the company. I really appreciate high value offerings that boast fit and finish of top tier knife companies, at half the price. I own one example of all 3 models released thus far and my favorite is the Horizon A. The amazing cnc work to create the handle texture, plus M390 and an enclosed somewhat integral backspacer, it's been the best so far. I know that a lot of people are still on the fence, but everyone who had tried them has been impressed. Not that it matters at the moment, they are sold out just about everywhere. They also have 3 distributors here in the US.

Pictures: (Sorry, I post on Instagram a lot so I have a lot of pictures).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then we have the video Reviews:

[video=youtube_share;G8eSfkeKPEQ]http://youtu.be/G8eSfkeKPEQ[/video]

[video=youtube_share;RYPT9UwnFsM]http://youtu.be/RYPT9UwnFsM[/video]

[video=youtube_share;FihsPy8FO4I]http://youtu.be/FihsPy8FO4I[/video]

Anyways, that's a lot to take in. My top 3 favorite brands are currently: ZT, Reate and Lionsteel.

11. austonh

austonh Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 26, 2012
    As for critiques, thankfully all of my knives have been perfect and I'm happy with the designs. I think the above mentioned find a specific design language is probably a good one. I hope you will use the same flipper tab that's on the Horizon, on future models. The geometry of the Horizon Flipper tab is perfection. I would also like to see more handles with heavy CNC work as the Horizon.

12. fq55

fq55 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 27, 1999
    You guys need to order some more M390, I've been waiting for the Horizon A's to become available.

13. goldie

goldie

Feb 18, 2000
    My district 9 should arrive by fri or sat. from everything ive seen, im sure it will be good. what I really like is that the new d9 has an improved pocket clip, the old one would have made the knife stick out too far for me.There is no doubt that these are well made knives.

14. ASBOB

ASBOB Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 8, 2008
    You have a number of designs that interest me, but I have small hands and the handles are too large for me. I'd like to see something with a 4" handle.

15. mastersword

mastersword

Aug 19, 2013
    My Hills is very heavy in the handle and center of balance greatly favors the handle. Would love to see a G10 or a carbon fiber handle to reduce weight and increase balancing overall. Would also love a 3 inch or sub 3 inch version since the market doesn't have a great mid tech level knife in the 3 inch variety (mostly 3.25-3.75)

16. 2006Vette

2006Vette

Dec 26, 2012
    I've enjoyed my District 9-B for the past couple of months and have made it my new EDC. Really a tank of a knife and I couldn't be happier. An incredible value for the money and these knives are absolutely top notch as far as fit and finish. Flips insanely fast and wicked sharp.

Attached Files:

17. TKB

TKB

Nov 5, 2013
    I think I am very much the first customer of Reate Knives. I got the old Horizon A with the old logo and serial number 1. :D

So far I have had 3 Horizons (2 As and 1 B), 3 District 9s, and 1 Hills. I have clearly seen the evolution of Reate Knives, as well as the owner, David. :D I personally think of David as my friend.

image.jpg

18. Sentinel641

Sentinel641

Jan 8, 2014
    I would definitely buy a 3" Ti framelock flipper.

19. ReaTe

ReaTe

Feb 15, 2014
    Hi Batik , My Friend ! Thanks for your supporttttttt !

20. ReaTe

ReaTe

Feb 15, 2014
    Jim ,Thanks for sharing !

Last edited: Nov 13, 2014