Reate Knives-Users' opinion and collections

I just got a liong mah warrior one and want to take the knife apart to clean the pivot. Do reate pivots usually come with loctite?

Good luck with that. Probably 100. To 150. more than that. I love the two Reate's I own, the D-9 and Horizon C. Both are quality knives for a fair price. I bought both mine second hand from Poolhustler making them an even better value (Thanks again Poolhustler). I was set on buying the Horizon D until I saw the price. I'm sure I would like the knife but the value has diminished somewhat. I'm on the fence with the Torrent, would love to see one and then decide.

Mike

The Torrent looks so sick. I will buy it the second I can if it is $250ish

I think Reate needs to stick with the Hills and D9 formula to be successful in the US market. For the price they are asking for the new Torrents, I'd rather pick up a Brous or used Curtiss

Here's a few photos of my collection. I'm a bit busy to post my thoughts now, but I will say that of them, the Horizon A (Yellow and purple ano job done by Bladeswelove) and the Valkyrie 2 are my favorites with the valkyrie 2 beating out all of them. I thought about getting an ano job done on the Valkyrie 2, but I like it just the way it is.
20151113_110642_zpsmflgxprp.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
20151113_110628_zpsx8qwvyzq.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
20151113_110712_zpsi2sikoqp.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
20151113_110654_zpscjpf5yln.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

My Hills is still with Bladeswelove getting the coolest ano job ever. It did take a bit of work for Steve though, due to my lousy communication concerning what I wanted.

I'm not sure I like the purple ano job on this Valkyrie, but I like the knife (although I do think the 2, with cf scales, is an improvement.) One day I'm going to find someone that can ano the Valkyrie to look like fall leaves in the east U.S., which is what the shape reminds me of .
20150908_131107_zpsnls0jac3.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
Saw pics of the Tempest today...loved the looks of it. :thumbup:

I think Reate needs to stick with the Hills and D9 formula to be successful in the US market. For the price they are asking for the new Torrents, I'd rather pick up a Brous or used Curtiss

I just want to say that although I haven't been a collector as long as many here, I have an opinion based on my usage of these knives. First of all, the D9 and Hills are great knives, but not the best that Reate has to offer, the Horizon and Valkyrie lines are superior IMO. As far as Brous designs, I am not giving up on his knives, don't think that, but I will be selling my blacked out Brous Mini Division. It doesn't compare to the perfection that the Reate knives achieve. I'm guessing that the Brous full size Division is a much better knife, but I'm not reviewing the mini here.

At this point I've only owned about 35 mid price ($125=445) production folders from these companies; ZT, BM, Spyderco, Hogue, Reate, Brous, diabola (sp?), Microtech, CKF and Cold Steel. I find that Reate Knives will at least match the quality of any of them. I have NEVER had one single sticky lock, late lock up, slow or un-smooth in any way function on the Reate knives that I own. The pivots are set up well and don't have the problem of spinning or stripping easily. The knives are easily disassembled and reassembled. They work perfectly and the designs are, IMO, a nice compromise between fashion and function. I also appreciate how prone to customization they are. Just my two cents.

The one and only complaint I have is the same one as my 2 CKF Sukhois. The pocket clip on the Reate's is pointy at the end which makes it a slight bit difficult to pull it up slightly with one finger in order to slip it over my thick pocket liners on some pants, such as carhartt. I wish there was another option for the Valkyrie pocket clip.

I just want to say that although I haven't been a collector as long as many here, I have an opinion based on my usage of these knives. First of all, the D9 and Hills are great knives, but not the best that Reate has to offer, the Horizon and Valkyrie lines are superior IMO. As far as Brous designs, I am not giving up on his knives, don't think that, but I will be selling my blacked out Brous Mini Division. It doesn't compare to the perfection that the Reate knives achieve. I'm guessing that the Brous full size Division is a much better knife, but I'm not reviewing the mini here.

At this point I've only owned about 35 mid price ($125=445) production folders from these companies; ZT, BM, Spyderco, Hogue, Reate, Brous, diabola (sp?), Microtech, CKF and Cold Steel. I find that Reate Knives will at least match the quality of any of them. I have NEVER had one single sticky lock, late lock up, slow or un-smooth in any way function on the Reate knives that I own. The pivots are set up well and don't have the problem of spinning or stripping easily. The knives are easily disassembled and reassembled. They work perfectly and the designs are, IMO, a nice compromise between fashion and function. I also appreciate how prone to customization they are. Just my two cents.

The one and only complaint I have is the same one as my 2 CKF Sukhois. The pocket clip on the Reate's is pointy at the end which makes it a slight bit difficult to pull it up slightly with one finger in order to slip it over my thick pocket liners on some pants, such as carhartt. I wish there was another option for the Valkyrie pocket clip.

Thanks for the thought out response. I don't disagree with any of your points. Reate makes very, very nice knives, especially for the price. All I'm saying is that, for $300-$400, I think people might start looking elsewhere. I love the features you get on the Hills/D9 knives for only $200. Anyway, different opinions I guess.

If you're selling your Brous Mini Division, I'm interested. Would you mind emailing me about it? footballplayerchris@gmail.com

Well, I wonder. See the thing is I've never owned a Chris Reeves or a Strider or an ADV yet, I'm still fairly new to this. Maybe you're right, I'd have to compare, but I can tell you this, the $400 I spent on my Reate Valkyrie 2 made me scratch my head at first. It's a pretty simple knife for that price, however, it's by far one of my two favorite knives, and in my opinion, best knives that I own. The other is either of my two CKF Sukhoi 2.0's.

Well, I wonder. See the thing is I've never owned a Chris Reeves or a Strider or an ADV yet, I'm still fairly new to this. Maybe you're right, I'd have to compare, but I can tell you this, the $400 I spent on my Reate Valkyrie 2 made me scratch my head at first. It's a pretty simple knife for that price, however, it's by far one of my two favorite knives, and in my opinion, best knives that I own. The other is either of my two CKF Sukhoi 2.0's.

I have a Valkyrie 1 and have considered picking up a Valkyrie 2. As someone who owns both, what are the differences between them that make the Valkyrie 2 your favorite Reate knife?

Thanks.

The only differences are that that the Valkyrie 1 has two titanium scales and an S35VN blade and the other has a CF scale on the non lock side and M390. I really can't speak to the blade steels because I cannot tell much difference. I don't sharpen blades yet, and so I haven't that experience. They are both sharp as the day I got them and I do use the Valkyrie 2 a lot. I think M390 is rarer, but I've also heard that it's not rare enough to justify the crazy prices on these knives and that if you want to get some M390 and make a knife it's not hard to find.
Then there are the the two scales. The differences that creates are texture, weight, and customization capability. The Titanium is heavier but it is also able to be Ano'd various ways allowing you to color your knife into any color scheme possible. The CF texture is something that I prefer. Especially since I don't believe I'll be snapping it any time soon and therefor the additional strength that the titanium provides isn't a concern. I also think that the CF looks cool right off the bat so it doesn't need to be customized. Now, is the one gram difference a big deal? The Valk 1 is 5.0 g. on my scale and the Valk 2 6.1. I don't know how to explain it, but the V1 just feels heavier. Also, I feel that the V2 will hold it's resale value easier than the V1 due to the fact that titanium gets scratches and stuff and M390 is rarer. They both flip perfectly. OH!! I just found another difference. The lanyard hole (something I never ever use on any knife) goes through both scales on the V1, but not on the V2. I kinda think that the V2 was an after thought riding on the successful coat tails of the V1 and should have been cheaper. I didn't like that $425 price tag, and I wouldn't do it again. OK, that's all I can find.

Quick shout out to the Horizon C. I've seen a vid online where he really goes off about how much better the D is than the C, but I love the weight and clean lines of the HC, it always reminds me of storm clouds on a moonlight night with those dark but not perfectly black, kinda stone washed, scales and the way the edges all kinda look silver. The edges on that knife captivate me, they're fucking killer. And just the simple highlighting of the whole thing by polished silver and gold hardware, open frame, it's one of my favorites ever. A little heavy, but I love the way it feels in hand. The D is cool too, but I never carry it, I just don't. I've never carried mine, hell, it's still in the plastic bag that it came in inside of the pouch. I just don't think I can afford to carry it, it's one of my pricier knives and looks like it will take scratches easy. M390 on that one too.

I was flipping a few knives today and afterwards put my Horizon A back in my hands and boom! Perfection. I don't understand what it is that Reate is doing to make their knives so different, but they are just so smooth. Again, However, I need to try out a Strider, Hinder and CRK to compare. Maybe one day, but my knife purchasing has to slow now that I am jobless. OK, that's my Reate Rant for now, take care.

Last edited:
Does anyone have an issue with the District 9 PLUS detent my is SUPER tight. Also I had to loosen the pivot because one you can feel the bearings binding because too much pressure on them, and second the blade was very tight

Thank you very much for you gus' message.If anything for after-sales service or anything we can do for you please feel free to e-mail Shera at shera@reateknives.com. We will reply you asap.Thanks for all your support.

Last edited:
Hi Mr David Deng,your black titanium handles are very nice.Is it an anodized colour?. Thank you.

Back