Reate Knives-Users' opinion and collections

my personal feelings are that the m390 with the newer pivot would be the most desirable. The old pivot was way too close to the pivot on the zt0454 for anyone's liking. But I still think the m390 would be the more desirable of the blade steels to a collector. No offense to you or reate but i felt the horizon A with s35vn blade was a bit of a step backwards. IMHO offering one of your premium models with cheaper steel and making it a limited addtion was not all that special to me. I personally would have taken the horizon B and given it the premium treatment or did a completely different blade steel to really do something different. But looking back on it I just get the impression that they made that knife to efficiently use up parts that needed a home. And with M390 not being readily available that may have been the reason for s35vn. Still there is a lot of cool unique steel coming out of japan and asia that we rarely see in the states. I think it would have been a great opportunity to do something in that realm.

Thanks for your reply. No offense taken.

I understand where you're coming from. Good thing I'm not a collector haha

I feel that due to the shortage of M390 a switch to S35Vn for what i believe were the last runs of the Horizon A was a better idea than switching to a more unknown Asian steel. The stigma would've been there regardless.

I'm happy I was able to get one with the new pivot. I agree with what you say about the original one.

I'm not sure how much more a new pivot m390 Horizon A could cost second hand over a new pivot S35Vn Horizon A but I doubt it would be something significant IMO

We are so excited to have our own forum in Manufacturer' Forums today. Thanks BladeForums provides us such a platform.

Howdy,

Bought a Horizon C and loved the heft, the glass smooth opening, and the feel of quality.

There was one thing missing...it wasn't tacticool enough.

I sent it off to Josh at http://www.razoredgeknives.com/ to have to him Cerakote it and sharpen it.

The result? Judge for yourself:

TjyR3so.jpg

fXxtdKH.jpg

kk4VCVs.jpg

w6JXAGh.jpg

Wb3X7Af.jpg

n7iOpik.jpg

BgaLMIa.jpg

0wBtQnG.jpg

NxJ2uV2.jpg

Couldn't be happier. An amazing job for a very fair price!

Personally I am awaiting the second rendition of the Valkyrie which has officially sold out on FH. Missed out on the first variation, so excited to scoop this one up.

Howdy,

Bought a Horizon C and loved the heft, the glass smooth opening, and the feel of quality.

There was one thing missing...it wasn't tacticool enough.

I sent it off to Josh at http://www.razoredgeknives.com/ to have to him Cerakote it and sharpen it.

The result? Judge for yourself:
NxJ2uV2.jpg

Couldn't be happier. An amazing job for a very fair price!

That is the nicest looking Reate I've seen. I love that look, it changed the whole knife. As much as when I get one of my cars wrapped. Superb.

Personally I am awaiting the second rendition of the Valkyrie which has officially sold out on FH. Missed out on the first variation, so excited to scoop this one up.

I got the first Valkyrie but missed out on the second. I'm really eager to see finished pictures of the CF slab. On the Ti slab the feather pattern is really very dynamic, I wonder if the natural grid pattern of CF will take away from that a little.

I'll have to contact Reate and see if the Ti pivot and standoffs for the Valkyrie II might be available to drop into a Valkyrie I.

That is the nicest looking Reate I've seen. I love that look, it changed the whole knife. As much as when I get one of my cars wrapped. Superb.

Thanks!

I'm super happy with the look and the job Josh did.

He made the vision in my head a reality.

Reate, I was thinking that you guys should try your hand and a knife with a compound grind. I also love your stonewash finish, it is really good, but I think a knife with satin titanium, high polish clip/floating backspacer, and mirror pivot would be stunning! Maybe release a special edition Hills with those features. That way more people could afford it. The Horizon models are awesome, but out of most people's budgets. The D9 and Hills are an amazing mix of quality and affordability. Special editions of those two models would be big hits in my opinion.

Last edited:
Reate, I was thinking that you guys should try your hand and a knife with a compound grind. I also love your stonewash finish is really good, but I think a knife with satin titanium, high polish clip/floating backspacer, and mirror pivot would be stunning! Maybe release a special edition Hills with those features. That way more people could afford it. The Horizon models are awesome, but out of most people's budgets. The D9 and Hills are an amazing mix of quality and affordability. Special editions of those two models would be big hits in my opinion.

There is a special edition of the D9 out for pre order now

Where can I pre order that special D9?
Just got the Valkyrie II from Fort Henry Customs. It's so light weight and sharp and tough. It's a bit hard for me to convince myself it was worth $405, but, after having it only two days, I can honestly say it is the best knife I own for EDC. Lightweight, fun, classy, smooth as hell, gets the job done and due to the fact that ALL of their other knives have been 100% reliable for me, I know I can count on it. Fits in the hand perfectly. I think it will pretty much permanent fixture in one knife pocket while the other pocket is a revolving door for the rest of my collection. (I mostly wear the 5.11 stryke pants (best pants in my opinion) with two built in knife pockets.)

BTW, at this point I pretty much have almost all of the REATE knives and love every one.
Hills (currently with Bladeswelove while I try to figure out an ano look that I like for it.)
D9A
D9B (just came back from bladeswelove lookin' sweet!!!!)
Horizon A (just came back from bladeswelove lookin' sweet!!!!)
Horizon C
Horizon D? (All ti)
Valkyrie
Valkyrie II

Last edited:
Where can I pre order that special D9?
Just got the Valkyrie II from Fort Henry Customs. It's so light weight and sharp and tough. It's a bit hard for me to convince myself it was worth $405, but, after having it only two days, I can honestly say it is the best knife I own for EDC. Lightweight, fun, classy, smooth as hell, gets the job done and due to the fact that ALL of their other knives have been 100% reliable for me, I know I can count on it. Fits in the hand perfectly. I think it will pretty much permanent fixture in one knife pocket while the other pocket is a revolving door for the rest of my collection. (I mostly wear the 5.11 stryke pants (best pants in my opinion) with two built in knife pockets.)

BTW, at this point I pretty much have almost all of the REATE knives and love every one.
Hills (currently with Bladeswelove while I try to figure out an ano look that I like for it.)
D9A
D9B (just came back from bladeswelove lookin' sweet!!!!)
Horizon A (just came back from bladeswelove lookin' sweet!!!!)
Horizon C
Horizon D? (All ti)
Valkyrie
Valkyrie II

Thank you very much for your support and thanks again for sharing. You can pre order D-9 Plus at our US dealers such as Blade HQ,GP Knives, Fort Henry and so on.

Reate Knives----------------Cherish

Thanks for that, I did find them and I can see that the weight was reduced. I think I will end up passing on this one, I just bought the valkyrie II and funds are tight. However, I'm curious, will Reate allow me to send my District 9's in to be milled to lighten the weight? I figure their would be a fee, just disclose that ahead of time and it should be fine. Thanks
Thank you very much for your support and thanks again for sharing. You can pre order D-9 Plus at our US dealers such as Blade HQ,GP Knives, Fort Henry and so on.

Reate Knives----------------Cherish

Back