Reate Torrent

Somewhere I saw that this version of the Torrent was limited to 300 pieces, so when they're gone, they're gone ( other than secondary market). It might be in the works to offer different versions of the Torrent as Reate has already done with the D9 and Horizon. Hopefully David can expound on this...

Somewhere I saw that this version of the Torrent was limited to 300 pieces, so when they're gone, they're gone ( other than secondary market). It might be in the works to offer different versions of the Torrent as Reate has already done with the D9 and Horizon. Hopefully David can expound on this...

Start reading at post #75 in this thread. It's 300 unless it's not!

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1333078-Reate-Torrent?p=15445009#post15445009

Looks like inventory is limited to "one" piece at BladeHQ. Out of stock yesterday...page monitor let me know the page was updated (something changed) today.
In stock. So I bought one. Out of stock.

GPKnives still has one though.

Serial #224 checking in for duty.

Overall...fairly disappointed in the finish. Three very obvious snail trails on the handle. There's a burr from hell stuck in one of the lock-side frame cutouts (hidden from view, but still) that's seriously 2 MM long and I haven't been able to pick it out without disassembling the knife yet. The blade has some strange...stains on it. I don't know if bad heat treat is visible, but if it is I'm guessing that's what I see. They look like feint sticker residue or something - but will NOT buff out with finger/cloth/WD-40. Sticker residue is a bad explanation. More like...residual oil slicks. Weird. Scratches all over the pivots. I mean. Deep obvious scratches. Centering isn't "off" to the extent of being an issue...but it isn't center.
Ugh.

I'm a user of my knives. I'll carry and eventually wear scratches all over the thing...but out-of-the-box this is just bad quality control...and makes me anxious about heat treat for some reason.
Not to compare other Chinese knives...but it also bugs me that my Kizer Trifecta at 1/2 the price had a literally perfect finish. Did I seriously just pay $200 more for a knife...only to get a steel upgrade from S35VN to M390...and a terrible finish to boot?

The knife FEELS nice. And flips well. Lock is solid.
Side-note: Anyone else notice some sort of writing on the side of the blade? I mean. Very very hard to see. You have to hold the knife at a sharp angle...and I can't read it. But it's huge. Covers the whole grind on the lock-side of the blade.

Serial #224 checking in for duty.

Overall...fairly disappointed in the finish.

I can't find a single flaw with my New-Torrents. Other than the 25 degree edge grind that all Reate seem to ship with (well the two I have so far).

I can't find a single flaw with my New-Torrents. Other than the 25 degree edge grind that all Reate seem to ship with (well the two I have so far).

Well. After a few days...I'm less perturbed by the cosmetic issues. And I do love the knife. She's a joy to flip with her absolutely vice-like detent (not something I normally dig...it's nice here for some reason) and smooth action. Reprofiled the blade after deciding to keep it and she's held an edge well. Not disappointed at all anymore. But if I were a "put it on a shelf" guy it would have went right back to the factory.

Back