Reate Torrent

Hello Kyle,we can not call this batch Torrent limited edition.However,we have no plans to produce more Torrent same as this batch.Maybe will have some update modles of Torrent in the future.Thank you.

However, only 300 of the current all titanium with anodized hardware and no more of that will be made?

However, only 300 of the current all titanium with anodized hardware and no more of that will be made?

Becasue these knives didn't have a mark which can symbolizes the limited edition.Thank you very much Ram.:thumbup:

I’m in the process of selling some knives I have carried for years. On the way as replacements is the Reate Torrent, Zero Tolerance 0562CF (CTS 204P) and Zero Tolerance 0350CFM390. It will be nice to have a new EDC rotation. I had some time off this week to research the options and landed on these three. This will be my first experience with Reate and ZT. The feedback from this forum has been very helpful.

Becasue these knives didn't have a mark which can symbolizes the limited edition.Thank you very much Ram.:thumbup:

I guess I don't understand what you really meant by your IG post.

B1A1BE5C-E82C-4CAB-9BD5-1A697D8B8C63_zps77uq6jr6.jpg

Sonoransky,

Congrats on the the new purchases. Those ZT's are very nice pieces, I have had both of them, but the new Torrent is at that next level. The new Torrents are that good. People who have been complaining about the costs of the Reate Knives must be the ones who have not had one in hand or just do not know understand quality.

Your new EDC rotation will be all good with the ones you have chosen!

Bapple,

Thanks for your feedback. I received an email this morning indicating the Reate Torrent has shipped. So, I should be receiving it shortly. I really like the style and finishes with the Torrent. I have only seen pictures and reviews. It will be nice to have it in hand.

The two ZT’s arrived today. I am very impressed with the quality.

I took it as they are only making 300 so its limited in production, making it a bit rarer and adding some collectability, however it is not a limited edition BC so far there are no other torrent models to make an even more limited/different model? Maybe?

This knife is sweet. Well built. No issues at all. Beautifully designed. The only aesthetic issue I have is the color of the ball for the titanium pocket clip is black and does not match any of the other components on the Torrent. Seems like it would have made more sense to do Grey or the Blue, so it loses like a quarter star in my review. It sits next to my 0562cf and 0392BRBRZ and holds it own. I actually chose this knife over the Benchmade 761 Titanium and I didn't really want to. ZT and BM need to up their game. They could start with zip pouches better presentation boxes for most knives, IMHO. Great knife...

IMG_2472.jpg

Last edited:
I'm fairly new to collecting and what not and the torrent and district 9 b are the two nicest folders I own at the moment, so I gotta ask anyone out there that owns a torrent and some customs... How does it stack up in terms of overall quality in comfort, fit and finish, action , quality of materials etc. ? I'm about to enter the custom world and I just kind of want to know what I'm getting into. The torrent blew me out of the water with its smoothness, comfort and style.

I'm fairly new to collecting and what not and the torrent and district 9 b are the two nicest folders I own at the moment, so I gotta ask anyone out there that owns a torrent and some customs... How does it stack up in terms of overall quality in comfort, fit and finish, action , quality of materials etc. ? I'm about to enter the custom world and I just kind of want to know what I'm getting into. The torrent blew me out of the water with its smoothness, comfort and style.

You won't get any better quality. With customs you'll get a more limited knife and that it's made by a custom maker. You pay for their name. Also, many custom makers stick to one or perhaps two steels so that they can maximize their profit.

Todd Begg is a good example. He's a very famous custom knife maker who even had his own TV show called "Blade Brothers" on the Discovery Channel. His designs are incredible and he's a master knife maker. His customs go for thousands of dollars. Even his mid-tech go for a grand. Most use the ordinary N690 stainless steel. Now, he has Reate make his Steelcraft series. They're less than half the price of his mid-techs with better steel and build.

You won't get any better quality. With customs you'll get a more limited knife and that it's made by a custom maker. You pay for their name. Also, many custom makers stick to one or perhaps two steels so that they can maximize their profit.

Todd Begg is a good example. He's a very famous custom knife maker who even had his own TV show called "Blade Brothers" on the Discovery Channel. His designs are incredible and he's a master knife maker. His customs go for thousands of dollars. Even his mid-tech go for a grand. Most use the ordinary N690 stainless steel. Now, he has Reate make his Steelcraft series. They're less than half the price of his mid-techs with better steel and build.

Great info. Thanks. I was always wondering how reate stacks up. I hear so much hate towards the company for being Chinese production and I can't say anything but positive things. Sounds like I have been spoiled by reates exceptional value. It will be hard for me to pay 600+ For a name but there are a lot of big name makers with designs I love, so we will see where this goes haha thanks again man.

Reate is very good and price $350-375 is justified given materials chosen. I have a Liong Mah Remedy and Horizon D Titanium. The action is smooth and pretty fast. I would say my Shirogorov 95T is my benchmark for flippers and Rockstead Shun is my folder benchmark. Shiro flips faster and even smoother than Reate. The blade drops with little friction after I disengage frame lock. Besides this and materials the quality seen in the higher end knives is in closer tolerances i.e. gaps between blade and handle, centering, access to lock and smoothness in controls. Also the customs are a little skinnier overall. So that old adage you get what you pay for holds true.

So yeah get a Torrent. Begg clip is cool, I have one on my Marfione and it's nice to have in the rotation.

There is one interesting alternative - Custom Knife Factory. I've only handled one and own a Morrf CF. If this is indicative of other CKFs quality then yeah they are super values. The action is almost as smooth and fast as a Shiro (like 90% close), and the tolerances are in between a Shiro and Reate in my collection. Absolute joy to flip. The Russians have a little magic in their craft.

e152961e24f14c5ef6d4e046c36a969e.jpg

Reate is very good and price $350-375 is justified given materials chosen. I have a Liong Mah Remedy and Horizon D Titanium. The action is smooth and pretty fast. I would say my Shirogorov 95T is my benchmark for flippers and Rockstead Shun is my folder benchmark. Shiro flips faster and even smoother than Reate. The blade drops with little friction after I disengage frame lock. Besides this and materials the quality seen in the higher end knives is in closer tolerances i.e. gaps between blade and handle, centering, access to lock and smoothness in controls. Also the customs are a little skinnier overall. So that old adage you get what you pay for holds true.

So yeah get a Torrent. Begg clip is cool, I have one on my Marfione and it's nice to have in the rotation.

There is one interesting alternative - Custom Knife Factory. I've only handled one and own a Morrf CF. If this is indicative of other CKFs quality then yeah they are super values. The action is almost as smooth and fast as a Shiro (like 90% close), and the tolerances are in between a Shiro and Reate in my collection. Absolute joy to flip. The Russians have a little magic in their craft.

e152961e24f14c5ef6d4e046c36a969e.jpg

Wow ok. Now I'm definitely kicking my self in the ass for not snagging the gratch and t90 on the cyber Monday sale... Funds were just not there since I just bought the torrent. I have been interested in the remedy but I was having a hard time spending the 350 on the s35vn when the torrent with m390 was only 375. But I don't have a lot of money in my budget for these things so I'm constantly looking for the best values. I heard in a youtube video (forgot who's it was) that they believe reate will be going in the same path as shiro and as time goes on and when more people catch on , the prices will start to go up. What do you think?

Wow ok. Now I'm definitely kicking my self in the ass for not snagging the gratch and t90 on the cyber Monday sale... Funds were just not there since I just bought the torrent.

The production models of CKF give great value and those Black Friday deals were insanely good! Their production models are near midtech. I have several of those: ELF, MORRF-2, Gratch and T90. Really great folders. Very smooth. The way they cut costs is to do the CNC in China and the asembly, fine-tuning, etc. in Russia. Their custom ones are expensive but very unique. Definitely worth trying!

I have been interested in the remedy but I was having a hard time spending the 350 on the s35vn when the torrent with m390 was only 375. But I don't have a lot of money in my budget for these things so I'm constantly looking for the best values.

In my opinion, the Liong Mah knives made by Reate are nice but overpriced. The latest one being Tempest with a 3.75" S35VN blade goes for $400!

I heard in a youtube video (forgot who's it was) that they believe reate will be going in the same path as shiro and as time goes on and when more people catch on , the prices will start to go up. What do you think?

Don't believe all that you hear and see on YouTube!

Reate knives are very well made and the lower end ones a steal. I think some of the higher end ones are worth the price of $375-$400 -- Horizon-TI, Horizon-CF and Torrent. Some of the others in the $250-$300 not so much: Horizon-C, D9+, etc.

RamZar- nice post and great collection!

I think the Liong Mah Remedy is priced fine considering Fantoni CUT is $375 and no padded pouch. The Torrent should have been priced $425 so $375 is great value. Also Remedy's minimalism is neat. For example it has a hidden blade stop and the surface looks like denim and more grip than the sun burst milling in the Horizon D Ti.

c2c763ca0410ded993107e5d3c84ad8b.jpg

c7e78fc09e47d404892e71b9f8ca9e36.jpg

RamZar- nice post and great collection!

I think the Liong Mah Remedy is priced fine considering Fantoni CUT is $375 and no padded pouch. The Torrent should have been priced $425 so $375 is great value. Also Remedy's minimalism is neat. For example it has a hidden blade stop and the surface looks like denim and more grip than the sun burst milling in the Horizon D Ti.

c2c763ca0410ded993107e5d3c84ad8b.jpg

c7e78fc09e47d404892e71b9f8ca9e36.jpg

I actually prefer the look of the remedy over the tempest.

Got a torrent today,bought it on the exchange for 35 less than retail, its definitely an incredible knife ;the action, machining,everything is 1st class.if this had the anodizing of the pivot and pocket clip like the D model that would really do it for me.This knife is a machine !!

Got a torrent today,bought it on the exchange for 35 less than retail, its definitely an incredible knife ;the action, machining,everything is 1st class.if this had the anodizing of the pivot and pocket clip like the D model that would really do it for me.This knife is a machine !!

What are your thoughts on the weight? It is a beautiful knife with a fairly useful blade shape. Congrats on your purchase. Russ

I don't think its heavy feels great. Im glad to have gotten it, cannot find a thing I don't like about it.

Back