Blade length:3.6”
Closed length:4.85”
Blade thickness:0.157”
Blade material:M390
Blade material hardness:61HRC
Handle material:6AL4V
Weight:175g
Open type : flipper

Definitely getting the Torrent. M390, very nice milling and understated anodizing all for $375. Compare that to the new Liong Mah Tempest also made by Reate but with S35VN, no anodizing and no detailed milling going for $400!

I like that they changed the font in the lettering on the torrent where it says M390. I don't know if many of you noticed, but the horizon D has M390 marked in a typical old school Chinese type English font you see on some cheaper products coming out of asia. So they changed the font on the Torrent to reflect real American English (there is a difference), looks great. I can find no fault in the spec other than I wish it was a bit lighter but we will see if it is balanced I wont even notice it.

I hope the weight of the Torrent is not 6.08 ounces which is on par with the Horizon-TI which is wider and longer!

However, based on specs from BHQ and GPK it is indeed that heavy. Sounds like the titanium was not skeletonized.

When you handle the Todd Begg Steelcraft Kwaiken with a 3.95" blade and just 5 ounces you know what I mean.

Yeah the kwaiken feels like a short sword that disappears on you. It feels that light for a blade that size and it has been milled out. The torrent i think also has the milling inside but maybe the blade is heavier so it flips better. High hopes for this one

I'm getting the Torrent but the higher-priced lower-steel Steelcraft Kwaiken is simply the best Reate-made knife. Again, credit has to go to Begg's design plus Deng's perfect execution of that design.

Agreed but wait till you see the torrent before you make that call. I have to say out of all the flippers ive owned i like my hills the best. If they made a hills lite, i would be all over it like a fly on isht.

Liong Mah Remedy is around 5.5 oz. so right in the middle.

Does the steelcraft Kwaiken flip smoother than other Reate? I was interested in the Bordega and refrained from buying one since custom knife designers are pushing into mid tech. I like Todd Begg's clip after getting an Anax so I'm looking forward to the Torrent as well. Going to the NYCKS this afternoon.

Last edited:
Yeah i was gonna go to NCKS but im just gonna go and spend lots of money and end up selling all the knives i buy anyhow it will be the same and maybe some new models but the thing is you will get to meet the people behind the steel which is always a great thing

So I'm noticing the Chinese knives that I know of don't seem to have serial numbers/limited runs etc. If I get an early Torrent, does that matter? We can say it doesn't matter but it sure seems to for any body who has a harder to find ZT or Benchmade...

Does the steelcraft Kwaiken flip smoother than other Reate? I was interested in the Bordega and refrained from buying one since custom knife designers are pushing into mid tech. I like Todd Begg's clip after getting an Anax so I'm looking forward to the Torrent as well.

The Steelcraft Kwaiken is noticeably smoother than the other Reate bearings flippers. It has to do with the loose IKBS bearings. It's as smooth as one of my Shirogorov F95 flippers also with loose bearings. The other feature that sets the Kwaiken apart from other Reate made knives is how light it is for such a big folder. It's well-balanced and the the dual guard gives excellent grip.

Last edited:
So I'm noticing the Chinese knives that I know of don't seem to have serial numbers/limited runs etc. If I get an early Torrent, does that matter? We can say it doesn't matter but it sure seems to for any body who has a harder to find ZT or Benchmade...

Reate does enhance models and release special editions. I think the most limited edition was the Horizon-A with M390. Mine actually has a serial number stamped on it.

Reate is only making 300 pieces of the torrent it is a limited run and sure to be a collectible later on down the line... better grab one while you can guys and gals

Reate is only making 300 pieces of the torrent it is a limited run and sure to be a collectible later on down the line... better grab one while you can guys and gals

Right from the horse's mouth. See snapshot.

a234fd6fd28c6010b37e5c93dcb8bcc7.jpg

Last edited:
The Steelcraft Kwaiken is noticeably smoother than the other Reate bearings flippers. It has to do with the loose IKBS bearings. It's as smooth as one of my Shirogorov F95 flippers also with loose bearings. The other feature that sets the Kwaiken apart from other Reate made knives is how light it is for such a big folder. It's well-balanced and the the dual guard gives excellent grip.

I just noticed the Todd Begg Mini Bordega by Reate is 3.7 oz with a 3" S35VN blade. So those put off by the weight in Torrent or Liong Mah Remedy may like it.

Yep. It's real pricey, though. And I just noticed something else too. There appears to a raised area on the lock side of the Mini-Bodega's handle (and possibly the Torrent's handle as well) where the clip attaches to it. I don't like pocket clips so I remove them. Once the clip is gone, it doesn't look like that raised area is going to feel too good jutting into the palm of my hand. So no Mini-Bodega for me, I'm afraid.

TDSCMBDGABSWntc.jpg

Last edited:
Yep. It's real pricey, though. And I just noticed something else too. There appears to a raised area on the lock side of the Mini-Bodega's handle (and possibly the Torrent's handle as well) where the clip attaches to it. I don't like pocket clips so I remove them. Once the clip is gone, it doesn't look like that raised area is going to feel too good jutting into the palm of my hand. So no Mini-Bodega for me, I'm afraid.

TDSCMBDGABSWntc.jpg

Oh yeah $400 is up there for sure but about $1000 less for a regular way TB Bordega. Kinda like the Peter Carey Spyderco. I got a taste for a faction of the custom price. Maybe all the designers realize they can sell 300 mid techs for every 10 customs.

Back