Reate Torrent

I'm out at that price too. After I get my Begg Kwaiken, I may not be in the market for another Reate until they have a 3" blade offering.

Of course, if the price of that 3" knife is pushing $400 I'll have to pass on that one too.

I think Reate's next knife needs to be a 3", high value (~$200) knife. This inflation is pricing them out of the range of the people who've been their greatest supporters. It's fine to offer "boutique" knives with premium materials with expensive milling but I miss the "high value" knives with good materials and impeccable fit and finish. That's what Reate used to mean to me, not mid-tech knives and $400 pricing.

Oh well, I'm sure they'll sell well.

I think Reate is slowly moving out of the $200 and under price range. All their latest releases are in the $250-$400 range: Horizon-C, Horizon-D, District-9 Plus and Torrent.

Will they discontinue District-9 and Hills? Perhaps. I think Horizon-A and Horizon-B have been discontinued.

I have two high-end Reate in M390. Horizon-D TI and Horizon-D CF. These are excellent flippers with M390 steel and anodized hardware. even at $400 each I still think they're worth it when you compare them against the competition.

The pricing of the Liong Mah, Fort Henry and Todd Begg collaborations really include designer royalties as well. I passed on all three Liong Mah collabortaions at $350 each. I got the Horizon-C bronze and Valkyrie from Fort Henry. The Valkyrie is excellent and worth the money. Horizon-C Bronze not so much.

I did order the Todd Begg Steelcraft Kwaiken (due in any day now) mainly because of the superb & intricate milling, blade shape and a Todd Begg design. Is it worth the $445? Perhaps not but it is to me and those who want a Todd Begg design but don't want to pay $1K+.

The upcoming Torrent is in line with the Horizon-D models with M390 steel, excellent milling on the handles and anodized hardware. So, the $375 price is also in line. When you compare the Torrent with the Benchmade 761 titanium frame lock, bearings (no flipper) and M390 steel blade at $331.50 the price of the Torrent looks low!

Of course, what's missing from Reate is fast service to/from a U.S. mainland location.

I'm still hopping Reate will release a flipper with a just under 3" blade at a $200 price point. This could be a simple design with low-cost manufacturing like Hills.

I'm still hopping Reate will release a flipper with a just under 3" blade at a $200 price point. This could be a simple design with low-cost manufacturing like Hills.
Yep. Until Reate starts producing lightweights (i.e., less than 4 ounces), you can catch me in the Kizer forum. ;)

Last edited:
I did order the Todd Begg Steelcraft Kwaiken (due in any day now) mainly because of the superb & intricate milling, blade shape and a Todd Begg design. Is it worth the $445? Perhaps not but it is to me and those who want a Todd Begg design but don't want to pay $1K+.

The upcoming Torrent is in line with the Horizon-D models with M390 steel, excellent milling on the handles and anodized hardware. So, the $375 price is also in line. When you compare the Torrent with the Benchmade 761 titanium frame lock, bearings (no flipper) and M390 steel blade at $331.50 the price of the Torrent looks low!

I splurged on the Begg for the exact same reason. I ordered the blackwash and I don't think any of those have shipped yet...so I wait.

$100-200 is usually the sweet spot in knives for me. That's where I get the best balance of value and quality (with certain brands, at least). A $400 knife becomes an entirely different matter. At that point I have to choose between various desired collectible knives that are a (maybe) once or twice a year purchase for me.

Benchmade is good for making most other knives look cheap in comparison :p

Yep. Until Reate starts producing lightweights (i.e., less than 4 ounces), you can catch me in the Kizer forum. ;)

Reate started the lightening process with Horizon-D compared to Horizon-C going from 6.32 ounces to 6.07 ounces (comparing Horizon-C with Horizon-D TI). Further, Horizon-D CF is just 5.27 ounces compared to 6.07 ounces for Horizon-D TI.

Also, a regular District-9 weighs in at 7.65 ounces whereas the new District-9 Plus weighs in at 6.41 ounces. That's over an ounce less mainly due to milling out the interior of the titanium handles. Unfortunately, the extra milling and other enhancements has pushed the price up from about $200 to $270!

What's surprising is the 6.08 ounce weight of the upcoming Torrent. At the $375 price level they should have lightened it up!

What's surprising is the 6.08 ounce weight of the upcoming Torrent. At the $375 price level they should have lightened it up!

Yep . . . both the knife AND the price. ;)

I'm keeping an eye on both Reate and Stedemon. But right now Kizer is the only one of the three that makes knives suitable for my use.

Beautiful knife! I've been following Reate for a while now, although don't own any (yet). Blade HQ has a video up on Youtube now, and I like the newer style jimping that they appear to be using. Seems like a lot of the large jimping leaves a lot to be desired when it comes to improving grip/traction. The large blade stop is interesting, I would have expected something more along the lines of the Horizon line, although it does add a certain "beefy" look to the knife that goes nicely with the blade style.

Beautiful knife indeed. :thumbup: But for $15 more I could buy a Gemini and an Intrepid. Hmmmmm

You So Cal guys are a funny bunch somehow correlating price to weight values.I don't see a connection and more likely just the cost of producing a particular design and increasing the profit per unit produced with each new model.Driving sales and and increasing profits with each new model as the brand and reputation grows is what's happening in my opinion.Reate seems to be carving a market as a collaboration manufacturer and has produced some good in house designs as well in my eyes.Reate knifes are of good quality, but are overpriced in my opinion.I think I will consider purchasing a Defiant 7 as they are domestically produced and are in the same general price range as the Reate Torrent.

Last edited:
You So Cal guys are a funny bunch somehow correlating price to weight values.I don't see a connection and more likely just the cost of producing a particular design and increasing the profit per unit produced with each new model.Driving sales and and increasing profits with each new model as the brand and reputation grows is what's happening in my opinion.Reate seems to be carving a market as a collaboration manufacturer and has produced some good in house designs as well in my eyes.Reate knifes are of good quality, but are overpriced in my opinion.I think I will consider purchasing a Defiant 7 as they are domestically produced and are in the same general price range as the Reate Torrent.

You're correlating price and weight yourself. Personally, I did not attribute it that way. What I said is that from the lightening that Reate did with Horizon-D and D-9+ they seem not to have done so in the high-end Torrent.

To compare Torrent to a Defiant 7 knife you have to go with the Servo Mid-Tech Flipper 3.5" Stonewashed CTS-204P which is $450 which is $75 more than the Torrent and it does not have any milling on the titanium and no lock bar insert. On the other hand, the Defiant 7 Hyrax has very nice milling but CPM-154 and $550!

Just put my deposit down for the torrent, its gonna be a nice one for sure. This is my first Reate, and Im looking forward to seeing the machining and millwork. I really just wished David would make an "Air" model that had excess material milled out inside to reduce the weight and make a sub 3 to 4 oz knife using CF and additional milling on the inside slabs. And make it in a nice compact size, something lightweight that you can forget you even have it on you.
I have to say I still have my eye out for a horizon D CF, but sold out everywhere!

Thanks for the heads up Ramzar. Does anybody have a Horizon D, CF? Any thoughts?

It's an excellent flipper and the CF is nicely milled. Due to the CF it's almost an ounce lighter than the all titanium. Great texture on the CF for assured grip.

It's an excellent flipper and the CF is nicely milled. Due to the CF it's almost an ounce lighter than the all titanium. Great texture on the CF for assured grip.

Thank you for updating, my friend:thumbup:

Just curious - does the Torrent come with the little bag of spare parts like the new Horizon models do?

I love My Reate Knives.. sold almost all my Zts ever since they are harder to get and having to compete with guys that knows someone on the inside on the 2-3 dealers for their limited run knives.
reate.jpg

i have 3 Horizon A and 3 Horizon B plus the rest... skipped on the D9 series.. not a fan of the design.

Below is the new addition the Steelseries from Begg and Reate.

Attachments

• reate2.jpg
    reate2.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Just curious - does the Torrent come with the little bag of spare parts like the new Horizon models do?

Thanks for your massage.Yes,all of our knives are shipping with a little bag of spare parts as well as Torrent.

Back