1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Reate Torrent

Discussion in 'Reate Knives' started by RamZar, Oct 13, 2015.

1. bearcut

bearcut

Sep 3, 2006
    I almost ordered one, then I saw the blade length, and passed.

If a 3" torrent comes out I will buy it immediately.

So tired of heavy pocket bricks.....

2. mycough

mycough

May 20, 2007
    Buy a better belt and hit the weights.
    Russ

3. bearcut

bearcut

Sep 3, 2006
    Which should I do first?:p

Seriously though, how much does a Torrent weigh? Anybody out there weigh theirs?

Much over 5oz starts to annoy me.

4. RamZar

RamZar Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 3, 2013
    I don't have one yet to weigh but BladeHQ and GP Knives have it at 6.05-6.08 ounces.

5. mntbighker

mntbighker

Nov 28, 2015
    I am expecting my first Reate this week, and I chose the Torrent over the Horizon because I hate the cheesy fake moku. In the long run I prefer a tanto, but I'm not sure when one of those may be available again. I'm really liking the cracked ice treatment some people are having done, so the fake moku could be irrelevant.

6. bearcut

bearcut

Sep 3, 2006
    Too big and heavy for me then.

I would buy a 3" Torrent in a heartbeat though.

Thanks Ram!

7. RamZar

RamZar Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 3, 2013
    I've been going back and forth on the Torrent. It it wasn't for the weight I would've gotten one already. I may still get one.

A 3" blade flipper made by Reate will be the upcoming Todd Begg Steelcraft Mini Bodega in another 4 weeks or thereabouts.

8. jhawk66901

jhawk66901

Jun 1, 2013
    I've been contemplating either the Torrent or Kwaiken. I cannot get both as I am definitely getting the mini Bodega when it is available. I just can't decide between the Torrent and Kwaiken.

9. Hackenslash

Hackenslash Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jul 25, 2014
    I finally got my Begg Kwaiken a few days ago and it's amazing. The Torrent is nice but not unlike the C or Liong Mah designs. The Kwaiken stands alone.

10. 2006Vette

2006Vette

Dec 26, 2012
    I like both the Kwaiken and the Torrent. Just got mine back from crawler619 after some anodizing.

Attached Files:

11. mntbighker

mntbighker

Nov 28, 2015
    Got my Torrent yesterday, and that thing is REALLY nice. It's way lighter than it seems like it should be, but it weighs enough to feel like a high quality knife. It flips great, though the detent may be a bit much. The lockup is perfect. I may have some pimp work done, but it's a near perfect knife as-is. I wish there was a tanto version, and it needs a little better gimping on the blade/pivot area.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
  12. ReaTe

ReaTe

Feb 15, 2014
    Thanks you guys support :thumbup:

13. Muet d'hiver

Muet d'hiver

Jul 11, 2015
    Just received mine <3

[​IMG]

14. clearkevin

clearkevin Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 7, 2014
    I've had mine for going on a week and I love it, I did weight it when it first came I can't remember the weight but it was under 6oz 5.8 or something I think. I do strongly prefer larger blades. The level of quality they are able to achieve is outstanding. As mentioned above my next wish is for the bodega collaboration.

15. Szymon

Szymon

Jan 18, 2016
    Does anyone have both Torrent and Horizon D?
    Is it the same interface for the pocket clip (screw size and hole distance) ? On photos it looks like clips could be exchanged between the knives.

16. JQuirl

JQuirl Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 24, 2016
    Hello everyone. This is my first post on bladeforums. I have always loved knives and I use them on a daily basis. Until now, I have just hide in the shadows and been a silent collector and user. I have read many bladeforums to help influence most of my purchases. There are a lot of expertise that I respect here and I am very happy to be part of this community.
    Hi Kevin. I read your post and felt the need to help. I have both the Reate Torrent and the Reate Horizon D. The two knives are very similar in size and shape. To answer your question...yes the clips on both knives have the same screw placement, but the Horizon D has a clip that is actually inset into a milled out portion of titanium frame. The Torrent has a pocket clip that is screwed to the surface of the frame. I think it would be possible to attach the Horizon D's clip to the Torrent, but it would not be possible to attach the Torrent's clip to the Horizon D. I hope that this helps. Here is a link to a picture of the two knives.

http://s1078.photobucket.com/user/JQuirl/media/image_zpsgwbih8qo.jpeg.html?sort=3&o=0

Last edited: Jan 25, 2016
  17. mntbighker

mntbighker

Nov 28, 2015
    It looks to me like the relatives angle of the clip to the 2 screws is also different. So that would be another reason they won't interchange. :(

18. JQuirl

JQuirl Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 24, 2016
    Right. The screws are the same distance, but the angle on the clips are different. This is why the Torrent's clip will not fit into the milled out hole on the Horizon D's frame. I hope this helps. :)

19. Arviee

Arviee

Jan 8, 2016
    Just noticed that knifecenter listed Torrent as "discontinued". Does it mean that we're not seeing more of them made? Does anyone have any information?

20. mntbighker

mntbighker

Nov 28, 2015
    It seems that happens on KC when they don't have inventory for long enough. I went through that with a Rockstead model. On the other hand who knows?