Recommendations for 2-3” fixed

By brk you mean bark river Caper right?
How do you like the m4 vs m390, been using my dads g3 for a little over a week and I like it so far, I liked the Caper for the larger choil which yours doesn't appear to have so I’m probably wrong in the assumption brk=Caper also in thinking s35vn or m390 for their resistance to corrosion, never used m4 so let me know what you think. if they were the same price (and the g3 came with the $45 kydex for $20, so g3+kydex for 180 vs Caper for 160) would you still take the bark river?

BRKT= Bark Rive Knife and tools they make great fixed blades . The one I have is the essential . They have a bunch of differing handles. Great looking too . Here is a link
https://www.dlttrading.com/searchresults.html?search_query=essential

I’m not a Steel junky so I don’t know how the M4 will compare to the M390 . That said I haven’t had to sharpened the M4 . And no rust some stain from cleaning fish but not terrible. I don’t use my fix blade as edc . They come out when I go hiking and fishing and making bond fire . Some cardboard cutting but not to much . I can see why a lot of people like the G3 it’s nice but not BRKT nice . You get a feel of semi custom when handling one . Specially the essential. The G3 has the choil that work for the knife but the handles on the G3 feel a bit short . If you look at the essential right under the two pins there is an index curve on the handle . Makes for a great feel in hand and no need for a choil . The sheath is very well made and the knife fits nice a tight . My other BRKT are very loose and I have dropped some .

Not sure of the Bradford warranty but BRKT have been great I have sent them knives with big time patina (A2 Steel) and came back like new . Sent one with a dent in the handle and they cleaned it up nicely for me .

For me is an easy recommendation the BRKT wins .

The advantage that the G3 is the blade length. But you are looking for a sub 3 inch . The BRKT blade has a convex edge makes it easier to maintain an edge by using a strop but harder to sharpened.

In CA you must open carry a fixed blade...but it can be any length.
No double edged knives.
Folders can be concealed, and no autos with a blade over 2 inches.

Other than that ( and outside of places like LA city) even big honking Bowie's are OK.
CA knife laws aren't terrible yet, but give them time.
You completely missed the point of my post.

I have been a long-term fan of Bradford Guardian3 fixed blades, having carried one daily for over two years. Although I've owned eight of them in various steels, I only have this one remaining...in Vanadis 4E (tool steel).
A steel I would reco for your needs would be M390: a top-flite stainless and high marks for edge holding.
The finger choil is intended to be used and enables a great fit for my large-sized hand. The G10 grips are my favorite for a secure grip, although sculpted carbon fiber(slippery) grips are also available for a bit more money...
A friendly husband and wife team run this fine company, and their customer service is outstanding.

Bradford 3G in Vanadis 4E Super Clean.jpg

In CA you must open carry a fixed blade...but it can be any length.
No double edged knives.
Folders can be concealed, and no autos with a blade over 2 inches.
Yeah, i know.. I’m just really annoying that I could POTENTIALLY get in trouble because my shirt falls over it getting out of a car, but yeah give it time. Been watching the laws for a while so we’ll see where it goes from here. But dropping the hip holster a few inches should fix the issue. I live in Sacramento, but for work I drive ~110k mi a year, meaning I’m all over northern ca’s cell towers in and out of a truck with sweatshirts and jackets on all the time

You completely missed the point of my post.
Not really, he was just clarifying something either you or I had previously stated, don’t see where he missed the point. informing someone is probably a better route than telling them to look something law related on the internet.

I have been a long-term fan of Bradford Guardian3 fixed blades, having carried one daily for over two years. Although I've owned eight of them in various steels, I only have this one remaining...in Vanadis 4E (tool steel).
A steel I would reco for your needs would be M390: a top-flite stainless and high marks for edge holding.
The finger choil is intended to be used and enables a great fit for my large-sized hand. The G10 grips are my favorite for a secure grip, although sculpted carbon fiber(slippery) grips are also available for a bit more money...
A friendly husband and wife team run this fine company, and their customer service is outstanding.

View attachment 1092976
Yeah, I’m using my dads g3 with the 3d mircata handle, I have smaller hands so for me it fits very nicely.. so far I really like it, but again that finger choil is all I’m worried about, but I think it’ll be fine, ifs just closer to the blade so I have a fear of a finger slip if working in a tight spot or cutting something precisely. Butyeah, so far it’s been really really nice.

Last edited:
John Gray

Too bad John Gray’s cheapest knife is ~$400, unfortunately this knife is going to be a work horse, $400 on a knife is more of a carry knife than a full on use in the dirt knife, a two least imho for now while I’m still “mastering” fixed blade upkeep and such.
Oh and, assuming you own one, how do you like the nitro-v? Have any knives in m390, n690, 3v, m4, s35vn, s30v, 154cm, cpm154, 1095, 52100, aebl, and a2 to compare it too? Curious how it stacks up, still relatively new here so sorry for the massive list of steels, I’m just curious, haha.

Too bad John Gray’s cheapest knife is ~$400, unfortunately this knife is going to be a work horse, $400 on a knife is more of a carry knife than a full on use in the dirt knife, a two least imho for now while I’m still “mastering” fixed blade upkeep and such.
Oh and, assuming you own one, how do you like the nitro-v? Have any knives in m390, n690, 3v, m4, s35vn, s30v, 154cm, cpm154, 1095, 52100, aebl, and a2 to compare it too? Curious how it stacks up, still relatively new here so sorry for the massive list of steels, I’m just curious, haha.

Yes I have one and would not of suggested it if I didn’t :)

As in how do I like the nitro V ?

I use this knife fairly hard hence a lot of the scratches on the coating which is a lot more since these photos were shot

I’ve been very impressed with edge holding and ease of sharpening

I’m primarily used to a lot of carbon steels and leather carry rigs so this blades stainless nature and kydex sheath lends it self to more abuse

Now when I say abuse I mean proper knife use as in I don’t use my knives as screw drivers or prying tools

So for me this is a hard use knife as you described

What I like about the blade is the ergonomics

The wharnie is ideal for all the tasks you mentioned

The short blade and relatively longer handle than say the G3 for me makes it a better knife

Don’t get me wrong I have two G3’s a wharnie and a sheep foot and they are the best bang for the buck but not in the same league as the Gray

Good luck in what ever you choose

John Gray

stop adding new knifes, your giving me too many options! hahahaha,
I’m just kidding.. this is actually exactly what I was hoping for, but yeah I really do like the look/feel of the blade and handle, my dilemma is i may be looking for something a touch smaller, I have smaller hands so the g3 actually fits damn near perfect in my hands, if anything I’d prefer a touch longer handle, like .25-.4in longer and maybe .4-.5in off the blade length.. butyeah, it really does look like something I’d like, and I’ve read a bunch of great things about nitro-v being very similar so aebl but better edge retention and corrosion resistance, just never worked with it myself.. anyhow, just making sure here am I seeing the $400 price tag for this model correctly?

John Gray+g3
When you get a chance, could I get you do take a comparison picture of the JohnGray next too one of your Bradford g3’s? Pretty please, if not it’s not the end of the world, just curious how the stack up side by side.

stop adding new knifes, your giving me too many options! hahahaha,
I’m just kidding.. this is actually exactly what I was hoping for, but yeah I really do like the look/feel of the blade and handle, my dilemma is i may be looking for something a touch smaller, I have smaller hands so the g3 actually fits damn near perfect in my hands, if anything I’d prefer a touch longer handle, like .25-.4in longer and maybe .4-.5in off the blade length.. butyeah, it really does look like something I’d like, and I’ve read a bunch of great things about nitro-v being very similar so aebl but better edge retention and corrosion resistance, just never worked with it myself.. anyhow, just making sure here am I seeing the $400 price tag for this model correctly?

Shoot John an email to check price

I received this from John last year at Blade and I’m not sure exactly where the current price point is at

Also remember he can tailor dimensions to your needs

Have you tried a Wharnie for edc ?

When you get a chance, could I get you do take a comparison picture of the JohnGray next too one of your Bradford g3’s? Pretty please, if not it’s not the end of the world, just curious how the stack up side by side.

Yes I can give me a few minutes

Here you go

As you see they are similar overall lengths but I prefer the longer handle shorter blade of the Gray

Ive rigged the sheaths all the same

The Velcro horizontal carry is fantastic

Another fantastic option is the original Spyderco Ronin if you can find one

JParanee, you and I have the same G3 Sheepsfoot. Great knife! How do you find the sheepsfoot vs the wharnie? I've been arguing with my bank account about it. I tell my account that I need a matching wharnie and flat-ground spear point, but my bank account thinks that just one is enough.

To the OP: If you like the handle of the Guardian 3 you're borrowing, there's nothing saying you can't buy one, hand it off to someone who'd do the work carefully, and have them grind it down to a shorter blade shape. I don't know if Bradford does any custom work like that, but I'm sure someone would for you.

JParanee, you and I have the same G3 Sheepsfoot. Great knife! How do you find the sheepsfoot vs the wharnie? I've been arguing with my bank account about it. I tell my account that I need a matching wharnie and flat-ground spear point, but my bank account thinks that just one is enough.

To the OP: If you like the handle of the Guardian 3 you're borrowing, there's nothing saying you can't buy one, hand it off to someone who'd do the work carefully, and have them grind it down to a shorter blade shape. I don't know if Bradford does any custom work like that, but I'm sure someone would for you.

I actually like the sheepfoot more due to the choil but both are great knives

Then again, I did have a receptionist in an office building in Chicago back slightly away asking "why do you need that weapon?" about my tiny Olamic Busker when I opened it to cut the threaded packing tape on a computer box, so everything is relative. ..
That just cracked me up. I've had my fair share of people acting as if I were crazy for carrying a 3" knife. I especially like how they question the "need", as if the majority of our modern day amenities are an absolute need for human survival.

That just cracked me up. I've had my fair share of people acting as if I were crazy for carrying a 3" knife. I especially like how they question the "need", as if the majority of our modern day amenities are an absolute need for human survival.

When it happens, I'm usually also carrying a concealed firearm, which makes it even funnier.

RMJ COHO

RMJ-Tactical-COHO-Sheepsfoot-Fixed-Black-G-10-Cerakote-BHQ-95160-jr-large.jpg

Just got mine a few days ago, needed new edge/bevel, but otherwise just about EDC perfection for a fixed blade. Love the sheath too.

RMJ COHO

RMJ-Tactical-COHO-Sheepsfoot-Fixed-Black-G-10-Cerakote-BHQ-95160-jr-large.jpg

Just got mine a few days ago, needed new edge/bevel, but otherwise just about EDC perfection for a fixed blade. Love the sheath too.

The Coho looks very nice

Good price and the sheath which is so important looks well done

Back