Recommendations needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, your prices are way off. Please do the math before you spread missinformation.

I’m not lying. Ive bought 3mm thick veg. tanned tracker style sheaths for the rd6 for less than $20 shipped from an American maker in IL off the bay. Kydex(or boltaron) were $33 (from another seller.) I can’t post links here but if you need the seller info send me a pm. The rd6 goes on sale pretty frequently for $55 at a non sponsored—though reputable dealer.
Since the essee 5 sells for about $175 with sheath at bhq, and sales aren’t frequent, I’d say $75-88 is less than half price, math double checked.

Last edited:
If I’m on a 4 wheeler, a hatchet is with me.

Of the choices from the OP, I’d go with the Hinderer since I don’t like recurves.

Look no further. ;). At $35 with sheath, buy a half dozen and toss if one breaks. :D

59c9d682-685b-428a-8e18-b840e5da7b07_1.a104eead0c47f0eccc3b8e9262869a3b.jpeg

I’m not lying. Ive bought 3mm thick veg. tanned tracker style sheaths for the rd6 for less than $20 shipped from an American maker in IL off the bay. Kydex(or boltaron) were $33 (from another seller.) I can’t post links here but if you need the seller info send me a pm. The rd6 goes on sale pretty frequently for $55 at a non sponsored—though reputable dealer.
Since the essee 5 sells for about $175 with sheath at bhq, and sales aren’t frequent, I’d say $75-88 is less than half price, math double checked.
First, the Esee 6 is more comparable to the RD6 (notice the numbers). Second, either way you put it, the Esee 6 or 5 isn't twice as much as the RD6 (6 is $115 and 5 is $138). If you want to find absurd prices for things, be my guest. The word "comparable" also means something. At the end of the day your math is still incorrect.

And then there is the quality. Ontario and Esee aren't equal.

First, the Esee 6 is more comparable to the RD6 (notice the numbers). Second, either way you put it, the Esee 6 or 5 isn't twice as much as the RD6 (6 is $115 and 5 is $138). If you want to find absurd prices for things, be my guest. The word "comparable" also means something. At the end of the day your math is still incorrect.

And then there is the quality. Ontario and Esee aren't equal.

Essee 5 is “more comparable” in terms of blade thickness. 1/4” Foe the 5 vs 3/16” for the 6. The essee 5 has a 5.5” blade, so the numbers aren’t as fixed as you claim. $123 is price without sheath. Rd6 is $58 on sale at this moment at, as I said a non-sponsor dealer so I cannot post the link. It is currently less than half the cost of either the esee 5 or 6. Ontario’s 5160 is comparable to essee’s 1095 in my opinion.( And yes, it’s just like, my opinion, man.)
If you just want to argue, feel free to send me a pm, I’m done talking about it here.

Last edited:
Essee 5 is “more comparable” in terms of blade thickness. 1/4” Foe the 5 vs 3/16” for the 6. The essee 5 has a 5.5” blade, so the numbers aren’t as fixed as you claim. $123 is price without sheath. Rd6 is $58 on sale at this moment at, as I said a non-sponsor dealer so I cannot post the link. It is currently less than half the cost of either the esee 5 or 6. Ontario’s 5160 is comparable to essee’s 1095 in my opinion.( And yes, it’s just like, my opinion, man.)
If you just want to argue, feel free to send me a pm, I’m done talking about it here.
I see you like playing the sheath game. I'll take the Esee (notice the spelling) all day long over the RD6, better package that I don't need to fuss with. Also better fit and finish. I guess if you want to save a few bucks and and expend a bunch of time getting what you could out of the box, go for it! It's your knife, make it whatever you want and justify it however you need!

I see you like playing the sheath game. I'll take the Esee (notice the spelling) all day long over the RD6, better package that I don't need to fuss with. Also better fit and finish. I guess if you want to save a few bucks and and expend a bunch of time getting what you could out of the box, go for it! It's your knife, make it whatever you want and justify it however you need!

If this is the closest you can get to an apology, I’ll take it. (Permission to spend my own money however I want)—as a way of backing off a claim of spreading misinformation, well, at least it was civil. Have a good one!

If this is the closest you can get to an apology, I’ll take it. (Permission to spend my own money however I want)—as a way of backing off a claim of spreading misinformation, well, at least it was civil. Have a good one!
Why apologize for being right?

I checked them out busse there average “Bowie” knife runs 400 dollar range and the use basic stainless steel for most of there blades. Cheap steel expensive blade. Esse costs less than half of that with similar steel I don’t mind if it whereone of the super steels but no wonder they replace if broken. That’s a crazy price for that to be honest. Lionsteel makes a great Bowie with super steel for half the price. Hinderer uses 3v. But stainless steel for 400 bucks no thanks that’s nuts

I cant see how this is anything other than a troll post...

But, on the very slimmest of chances it is not....

Busse steel is not basic, or cheap. Proprietary...and expensive were the words you might have mentioned to use. The 1095 in Esse is not similar at all. That is a statement made out of lack of knowledge, not experience.

INFI steel is hell for strong. Order of magnitude tougher, more flexible and less prone to chip or fracture under abuse than INFI.

They also use Sr101 (their version of 52100, with a stellar hest treat. Custom makers are fans of this steel, including many high end makers).

I have CPM 3V "super steel" knives. I've used many, many different steels. Decades worth of knives. Laminated steel, tool steel, A2, CPM3V, 52100, AEBL, too many stainless to name them all, D2, Sr77, L6,

I've used customs, both folding and fixed blades, differentially heat treated as well......

As a hard use steel, with nearly stainless properties INFI is very hard to beat, in big knives..... if your goal is a tough chopper. Their 52100 (they label it SR101 with a proprietary heat treat protocol).

I could refer you to hours and hours and hours of insane knife abuse tests by some one unaffiliated with Busse) but in think you are not really interested in knowledge..... bend tests, impact test, concrete and steel chopping (with many brands and steels)...

For small slicers, that you are going to treat well, there are many steels that will have better edge retention including some used and sold by bu Busse's family like (Scrap Yard, Swamp Rat).

I've owned 15 plus, in more than 1 steel. I've used significantly more, going all the way back to their A2 models.

I still buy and use customs in all steel types.

CPM 3V, with a refined heat treat and cryo is amazingly tough steel, and holds an edge against abrasion better than INFI. It is not as stain resistant, or rust proof as INFI, but much more so than 52100, 10XX steels or most tool steels (like A2, W1, W2, 01, S77, L6 etc.

Wh have not even addressed true high hardness high abrasion super steels etc.... which hold an edge exponentially longer than even most of the tougher steels we are talking about.

That all said...... trolls gonna troll....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back